What is your favourite single chapter?

Thuckey

Probably a little corny of me, but Bran I from GoT.  That is where I started this mad dash of a slippery plummet into an obsession with GRRM, so it's hard not to have that as my favorite.  

A close second is Davos' chapters in ADwD.  One of my absolute favorite quotes from the series comes from there - 

My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

Difficult to choose one or another. Tyrion's are generally good. I like the Manderly chapters in ADWD, even if he is not a POV. I liked particularly the Manderly/Davos chapters.

Thinking more about it, I could probably find some other... Bran fist in AGoT, with the discovery of the direwolwes and Jon plea for the wolves.

49 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

Probably a little corny of me, but Bran I from GoT.  That is where I started this mad dash of a slippery plummet into an obsession with GRRM, so it's hard not to have that as my favorite.  

A close second is Davos' chapters in ADwD.  One of my absolute favorite quotes from the series comes from there - 

My son Wendel came to the the Twins a guest. He ate Lord Walder's bread and salt, and hung his sword upon the wall to feast with friends. And they murdered him. Murdered, I say, and may the Freys choke upon their fables. I drink with Jared, jape with Symond, promise Rhaegar the hand of my own beloved granddaughter ... but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The north remembers, and the mummer’s farce is almost done. My son is home.

Didn't saw your post before mine. But we have the same choices.:)

I would add the previous chapter with Wylla:

"I know about the promise," insisted the girl. "Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf’s Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men!"

For me, it's Eddard 10 in GoT. Specifically for the Tower of Joy dream he has. The writing is, I think, some of the best in the entire series.  It always breaks my heart to see Ned do his duty in killing three men he most certainly has a ton of respect for.  We also witness Lyanna's death which is no less tragic.  

7 hours ago, nORTHERN11 said:

The red viper vs The mountain and Arya when her and the hound meet Poliver and co I love "the lost lord" as well and of course Jons last chapter in dance. I like all these chapters because there such roller coasters especially Jons last chapter in the beginning its sad "you're false king is dead bastard" then its triumphant "I have my swords I'm coming for you bastard" then the ending back to horribly sad "for the watch" I love it.

Love everyone of those. Roller coaster is a perfect description.

I'm also a huge fan of the Davos/Manderly chapters. Both of those get me every time.

To that I'll add the KitN chapter and A Ghost In Winterfell. Also Jamie when he puts the Freys in their place outside of Riverrun. Perhaps that's across 2 or 3 chapters? Jamie's development as a negotiator and a leader there really impress me.

1. Daenerys X (GOT) - birth of the dragons
  2. Davos IV (DWD) - the north remembers
  3. Epilogue (SOS) - appearance of Lady Stoneheart
  4. The princess in the tower (FFC) - Doran's plans are revealed
  5. Bran III (DWD) - it was magical
  6. Samwell V (FFC) - I liked Oldtown's description.
  7. Arya II (DWD) - Nice description of Braavos combined with Arya's mission.

16 hours ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:
  1. Daenerys X (GOT) - birth of the dragons
  2. Davos IV (DWD) - the north remembers
  3. Epilogue (SOS) - appearance of Lady Stoneheart
  4. The princess in the tower (FFC) - Doran's plans are revealed
  5. Bran III (DWD) - it was magical
  6. Samwell V (FFC) - I liked Oldtown's description.
  7. Arya II (DWD) - Nice description of Braavos combined with Arya's mission.

Princess in the Tower might have been the worst chapter in the series if not for the awesome reveal. 

Archived