What is your favourite single chapter?

Thuckey

As an addict of the audio books, my favorite chapters are the ones that have specific lines that echo in my head all the time. It's like they call to me. So of course I go listen to these chapters...start to finish. My family has decided that I am beyond help. Thank the old gods and the new that I have you guys around to share my interests with! Here are a few examples of my favorite chapters and their particular lines that echo:

1. Sam's torturous walk through the freezing snow after the attack at the Fist.

2. Arya's wolf dream where Nymeria pulls Cat out of the water and wants her to 'rise and run'.

3. Jamie in the tub with Brienne telling of the plan to 'burn them all'.

4. Manderly telling Davos his plan.

5. Sensor leaving his cloak for his

'Little Bird'.

6. Meera telling the story of the tourney at Harrenhal.

7. Varamyr transitioning.

8. Sandor in the inn talking about Sansa's younger sister.

9. Arya tearing up when she recognizes Harwin.

10. Varys calmly telling Kevin the reasons 'why.

11. Jaime telling Brianna 'I dreamed of you'.

12. Bran trying to communicate with his father.

13. Theon asking the tree in the godswood for help.

14. Egg telling Dunk that he hasn't really practiced jousting as much as he should have.

And now pray excuse me while I go listen to Cersei get woken up with bad news about her father and something about a privy...

😉☕

14 hours ago, winterfellsedai said:

4. Manderly telling Davos his plan.

10. Varys calmly telling Kevin the reasons 'why.

And now pray excuse me while I go listen to Cersei get woken up with bad news about her father and something about a privy...

Yes, these are great in the audiobooks.

That Kevin chapter is so good.  & Davos' secret meeting w/ Manderly chapter.

Victarion's voice by Doltrice isn't my favorite but The Reaver (action packed and then drama after the victory) as well as Vic & Moqorro on the high seas chapters are great.

The Mountain versus the Viper chapter is by far my favourite. I look forward to it every time I read the series.

Honourable mentions:

The chapter where Davos gets named hand

The Battle of the blackwater from Davos POV

The final chapter of Dance where Sansa builds the snowcastle and Littlefinger kills Lysa. Love the reveal that she was the one who killed Jon Arryn.

My absolute least favourite chapter Jon II in Dance. The awesomeness of "Edd, fetch me a block" is ruined by 90% of the chapter which is word for word Samwell I from Feast.

This has always irked me, but especially today because I have been reading the combined version of Feast and Dance that makes them one book (audiobook). It was right after Sam I and was literally 45 minutes of exactly the same dialogue from that chapter. BORING

It has to be a toss up between Ned's Tower of Joy fever dream and Bran's Knight of the Laughing Tree chapter. I love how in the main series, so much of what happens and where the characters are mentally, spatially and emotionally goes back to Robert's Rebellion, just as with the Dunk and Egg novellas so much goes back to the Blackfyre Rebellions. The Ned and Bran chapters I mentioned go a long way to helping us understand a little of the chain of events that led to Robert seizing the crown. 

Honorable mention also to the Davos chapter that features Manderly's The North Remembers speech! I still get chills every time I read that speech. 

There was one amazingly poetic chapter of Arya in one of the first two volumes. But I forgot which one, so if anyone remembers, please inform me.

As long as I don't remember, I side with the Prologue and Bran I in AGOT. They set the pace, deliver the setting, the tension that is underlying the books, give clues about how GRRM acts with symbols and metaphors, introduce a big part of the culture and characters with easy strokes, they are full of things happening before the eyes of the characters, things the characters themself see coming in the future, while the readers have to interpret some parts by their knowledge totally different. These two chapter fight with all the weapons GRRM has to get us addictive. And finally, he got.

Not my favourite, but I liked the Bran chapter in SoS where they hide in the tower on the island. The descriptions of the thunderstorm and how they see the rider and then the Wildlings on the mainland has something of the Famous Five about it :D

I don't know if I have a favourite chapter. There are so many that I enjoy for different reasons, be it action, repartee or a major plot twist.

On retreads, I've enjoyed the chapters that contain prophecies all the more (mainly because I've missed them first or even second time round).

Archived