Which military unit would you most want to belong to?

Floki of the Ironborn

Let's assume you're an above-average fighter, but not good enough to take on the elite. Say, a halfway point between a common, ordinary soldier and someone like Sandor Clegane or Loras Tyrell. Which military group, be it in Westeros or Essos, would you most want to belong to?

And by the term 'military group', I don't mean something general, like being part of some House's bannermen, or part of a Dothraki khal. I mean being part of a specific group like the Night's Watch, the Kingsguard, the Holy Hundred, the Faith Militant, or one of the many mercenary groups that roam Essos.

20 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Well I suppose the obvious answer is the Golden Company. But to challenge myself, if I had to limit myself to Westerosi units, I'd pick the Holy Hundred.

19 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

The Golden Company. If a chump like Strickland managed to rise through the ranks all the way to general, anyone could do it. 

7 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Another vote for the Golden Company here. I'd get regular opportunities to improve/hone my skills, with disciplined and supportive peers to help protect me. I'd get to travel, wouldn't be bound by any rules of chastity, and if they day came where I felt like retiring, I could.

3 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I don't see any choice other than the Golden Company.

Okay, let's assume that the Golden Company wasn't an option.

Just now, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

Okay, let's assume that the Golden Company wasn't an option.

Probably another Essosi sellsword company, then. The Second Sons seem like a solid option, and while they're not quite as disciplined I'd still get the same advantages of travel, relative safety, and retirement options.

I think serving House Yronwood would be good, Quentyns description of their land made it sound like a really nice place. 

2 hours ago, Tonberry said:

Maybe this is just the climber in me, but being a wildling raider would be pretty fun! Very dangerous, of course, but the exercise and the views!

Still the weather would really suck and the White Walkers and the zombies are a definite drawback. 

Do City Watches count? Because being a member of the Oldtown City Watch would be good. Get all the benefits of living in a big city. I can probably rise with time to some senior position. Avoid big wars, crackheads, take occasional bribes and retire into some sort of trade when I lose my fitness. Like run a tavern or brothel.

If not that, the Golden Company. Because they're the best and probably don't fight a lot (most mercenary companies probably don't do as much fighting as people think).

39 minutes ago, jarl the climber said:

I think serving House Yronwood would be good, Quentyns description of their land made it sound like a really nice place. 

Still the weather would really suck and the White Walkers and the zombies are a definite drawback. 

For realz,  I live in upstate new york where climbing is big, and I mean real climbing, but I still would not in my wildest dreams attempt a thousand foot high sheer cliff of pure ice, nor do I know a single human being who would.

Archived