Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

People keep saying that Leicester will slip up.  They may, sure, but no other team has really been more convincing this season.  City and Arsenal will have to be better to win it.  I like the look of Spurs recently, though (as much as it pains me to say it), but they've got a bit more to do. 

It's been said a thousand times, but this has been a really exciting season for the pl, and I think the intrigue will continue. 

We will know more about Leicester real soon. Home against Liverpool on Feb 2nd, away against Man City 4 days later then away against Arsenal the week after. Leicester's February will be huge for them as will their May (United away, Everton home, Chelsea away).

I think any team will want to play us now. We are at the stage where the fans are starting to turn on the team, where they want to see some results, some fight, some will to win.

The team seemingly can't deliver, and we get Martinez "taking the positives". Well, I'll sound like a broken record, but one win in nine (or, I read somewhere, ten) PL matches means that you'll have to take stock of the negatives. Because you're stuck in them, repeating them. Focusing on how we attack nicely in the second half (we didn't, really) ignores the glaring problems at the back and the problem of not being up for the match - running less that Swansea, even if the team hadn't played for a fortnight and should be rested.

The manager, like the team, needs a nasty streak - the ability to actually adress what is on display. And what's on display isn't good enough for top four (Martinez' goal). Heck, it's not good enough for a top half finish. Martinez simply comes across as divorced from reality - and given that he's losing the fans, he needs - NEEDS - to adress that. "Taking the positives" from a weak defeat at home, to a not-too-good team doesn't come close.

I think Leicester will steamroll us come May. Because, even though we've got talent on the field, we lack it on the sidelines. And that, unfortunately, counts for something.

17 minutes ago, Mexal said:

We will know more about Leicester real soon. Home against Liverpool on Feb 2nd, away against Man City 4 days later then away against Arsenal the week after. Leicester's February will be huge for them as will their May (United away, Everton home, Chelsea away).

To be fair, we were thinking that towards the end of November when they came out of a fairly easy first few months into a run which included us, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton and Spurs in the course of eight games. They went through that, and they're still top. Even if they lose all those games (and I don't think they will) they're still in with an outside shout if they keep smashing the teams lower down, coz of all the inconsistency elsewhere. If they get anything at all from those games- particularly points off Arsenal and City- they're in great shape. 

18 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

I think any team will want to play us now. We are at the stage where the fans are starting to turn on the team, where they want to see some results, some fight, some will to win.

The team seemingly can't deliver, and we get Martinez "taking the positives". Well, I'll sound like a broken record, but one win in nine (or, I read somewhere, ten) PL matches means that you'll have to take stock of the negatives. Because you're stuck in them, repeating them. Focusing on how we attack nicely in the second half (we didn't, really) ignores the glaring problems at the back and the problem of not being up for the match - running less that Swansea, even if the team hadn't played for a fortnight and should be rested.

The manager, like the team, needs a nasty streak - the ability to actually adress what is on display. And what's on display isn't good enough for top four (Martinez' goal). Heck, it's not good enough for a top half finish. Martinez simply comes across as divorced from reality - and given that he's losing the fans, he needs - NEEDS - to adress that. "Taking the positives" from a weak defeat at home, to a not-too-good team doesn't come close.

I think Leicester will steamroll us come May. Because, even though we've got talent on the field, we lack it on the sidelines. And that, unfortunately, counts for something.

I get where you are as an Everton fan and understand this point of view but I still think it'll be a tough game for Leicester, especially if Everton has a good run of form. It's not guaranteed and maybe they'll steamroll you but I'd still consider it a tough fixture in May when the title is on the line.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, we were thinking that towards the end of November when they came out of a fairly easy first few months into a run which included us, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton and Spurs in the course of eight games. They went through that, and they're still top. Even if they lose all those games (and I don't think they will) they're still in with an outside shout if they keep smashing the teams lower down, coz of all the inconsistency elsewhere. If they get anything at all from those games- particularly points off Arsenal and City- they're in great shape. 

Well sure, but November is different than February/May (more run down in February due to a long season and May will have a lot of pressure) plus the majority of those games were at home. 4 of the 6 games I mentioned are away which is always hard. I don't believe that Leicester will really go away but those two stretches are huge for their title chances.

4 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Something is profoundly wrong in the universe when the Arsenal fans have to console you...

It's probably because the current plight of Everton is a bit like Arsenal Lite.

Everton is playing generally attractive, attacking, passing football. But the finishing is not there, alarming moments of defensive frailty creep in at the most inopportune times and at the end of the day results aren't good enough.

That's something all Arsenal fans can sympathise with!

I call BS! Arsenal fans have no business complaining. They're still at the top of the table despite Sanchez and Coquelin missing games, and now they get them both back. Plus they have Ozil in the form of his life and they even got a great keeper from a dire rival.

Losing to a perennial bogey team isn't fun but the "woe is us" is a tad early.

I call BS! Arsenal fans have no business complaining. They're still at the top of the table despite Sanchez and Coquelin missing games, and now they get them both back. Plus they have Ozil in the form of his life and they even got a great keeper from a dire rival.

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Arsenal fans aren't complaining (on here anyway). Not sure where this is coming from.

Tottenham was really lucky with injuries so far compare to others, but Vertonghen out for two months or so. Big blow for Spurs. Vertonghen and Alderweireld is a superb duo at CB.

Also Ramires, Gervinho, Guarin to China. A bit too young retirment, but I guess their money were just too goo to turn down.

5 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

Townsend to toon. Now we need a goalscorer 

Heard something about Newcastle and Remy.

I think it's funny that Tottenham have been paying Adebayor all this time.  It's even funnier that Palace have bought in.  I really wonder what are the terms of that deal. 

Archived