Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

2 minutes ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

Bilic should take Valencia off, bring Antonio on and move Payet to a number 10. 

Payet has been sloppy today with his passing in his own half, so I think moving him away from that half would be smart.

On the subject of pretty boy millionaires, I wouldn't mind being one. However, my parents have ruined that opportunity. 

11 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Payet has been sloppy today with his passing in his own half, so I think moving him away from that half would be smart.

If we lose this game, Bilic's decision to play Payet wide in a 4-4-2 is going to look very silly.  

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I can only assume that West Ham did that on purpose to increase Liverpool's fixture congestion as much as possible. 

I hope so. At least that would suggest some sort of a game plan. 

36 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think Benteke fluffed his chances to give the kids an extra game. Generous of him to ruin his own reputation and standing like that.

That last one was particularly bizarre.  Was he trying to bring it down to his feet?  Was he trying to hit it towards goal? Pretty tough to say.

There was a good article somewhere recently that Benteke's stats at Liverpool for number of touches, number of shots, aerial duals, pass completion %, etc were basically the same as his average at Aston Villa. The conclusion was that he's basically the same player he was, but his limitations are more noticeable in a team with more attacking play and possession. Worrying.

58 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There was a good article somewhere recently that Benteke's stats at Liverpool for number of touches, number of shots, aerial duals, pass completion %, etc were basically the same as his average at Aston Villa. The conclusion was that he's basically the same player he was, but his limitations are more noticeable in a team with more attacking play and possession. Worrying.

Nah, because at Aston Villa he also had runs of form where he had no confidence and looked terrible. So he's actually playing better than he did in those runs at Villa, if his average is the same. 

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

He looks decent. I like that he moves the ball really quickly and seems to have solid positioning but I have seen him pushed off the ball a few times. I think he'll be good for Arsenal.

Not impressed at all with Giroud today. Seems to barely move and when he does stick his foot in, he makes a poor touch. Would like to see Walcott come in for him.

Yes, that appeared to be the consensus in the pub afterwards. I'm sure he'll get used to the physical nature of the English game, and perhaps that's why Wenger didn't risk giving him his debut against Stoke.

I thought he was really good today. His passing was excellent, and it's a good sign that his new teammates seem pretty keen for him to have the ball.

As for Giroud, he looked ready for the glue yard.

ETA: And I love the fact that Elneny's not afraid to have a crack from distance. He's going to score some screamers over the coming years.

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

and it's a good sign that his new teammates seem pretty keen for him to have the ball.

What helped there is that if today is any indication he's very intent on getting into good support positions, and works terrifically hard to do so. Unlike, say, Ramsey who's always trying to break on, Elnenny looks like he's happy to offer the steady out just deeper than the player with the ball, from whence he has good angles to move it on.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

What helped there is that if today is any indication he's very intent on getting into good support positions, and works terrifically hard to do so. Unlike, say, Ramsey who's always trying to break on, Elnenny looks like he's happy to offer the steady out just deeper than the player with the ball, from whence he has good angles to move it on.

Ramsey claims to be a central midfielder, but that's only because he doesn't really understand what a central midfielder actually is.

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That's exactly right. He had 100 touches, more than anyone on the pitch. He would pass the ball quickly then move into support, whether in front or behind. Ramsey would pass the ball then make a run past the CF whereas Elneny will stay deeper to orchestrate and slowly move forward to the point where he can take a shot from 20 or so yards away. Only once did I see him inside the box (when he skied a good opportunity) whereas Ramsey would have lived there. I think Coquelin and Elneny can become a really good partnership if given the opportunity to play together more often. 

All that being said, Ramsey does offer a lot in the attacking side of the ball, especially with Ozil and Sanchez who tend to see his runs during the counter attack. If he has proper support like Coquelin next to him, I think it could work, just not against teams with very strong midfields.

Btw, did you guys know that Chamberlain's assist was his first contribution to a goal since May 2015? Insane how poor his end product is.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That's exactly right. He had 100 touches, more than anyone on the pitch. He would pass the ball quickly then move into support, whether in front or behind. Ramsey would pass the ball then make a run past the CF whereas Elneny will stay deeper to orchestrate and slowly move forward to the point where he can take a shot from 20 or so yards away. Only once did I see him inside the box (when he skied a good opportunity) whereas Ramsey would have lived there. I think Coquelin and Elneny can become a really good partnership if given the opportunity to play together more often. 

I think they will. Wenger's not stupid, and while he certainly has a soft spot for Ramsey, he's ruthless enough to discard him if necessary. Not saying we should get rid or anything like that, but the way the squad is shaping up, I don't think Ramsey can take his starting place for granted anymore.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I think they will. Wenger's not stupid, and while he certainly has a soft spot for Ramsey, he's ruthless enough to discard him if necessary. Not saying we should get rid or anything like that, but the way the squad is shaping up, I don't think Ramsey can take his starting place for granted anymore.

Really? I don't think Wenger is ruthless at all. He's insanely loyal to his players. Can't remember a time when Ramsey lost his place to anything other than injury and even then he came right back into the side as a RW.

Elneny will get his chance but more likely next season and even then, not sure with Cazorla/Wilshere back. That is unless there are more injuries which is likely.

I didn't see the match last night but it will be interesting to see if Elneny-Coquelin can be a regular partnership. They would offer more protection in midfield but Elneny would probably have to play more aggressively than just a holding midfielder.

I still see Ramsey as having a future in the centre of midfield. We have a ridiculous amount of people who can play in the centre of the park, by my count 9 people for essentially 2 places in the team (assuming we leave out Ozil as a central No. 10 and the wingers / wide forwards like Sanchez and Campbell) - Elneny, Coquelin, Arteta, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere.

But Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky will probably be moved on after this season, which brings it down to 6. With Arsenal, you can guarantee at least two of them will always be injured (Wilshere + someone else, or someone else like Oxlade-Chamberlain who is probably going to be out of form). So really, it's down to Elneny, Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla. Ramsey will still have a role in there somewhere with the amount of fixtures Arsenal always play.

pato has completed his loan move to chelsea. that means newcastle has a day to finish off buying loic remy. he was solid for us when we had him before. goals. goals. goals. that is what we need. gotta sign him....or anyone who can score.

the chelsea side vs mk dons is rather heavy. you would think they were taking on bayern with the side they put out there. 

let's go, dons! 

Archived