Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

So, presumably, Pep could have chosen to coach at either Man City or Man United, right? 

And if that's the case - what makes City the hands down pick to coach at? Is it because the current squad is better? The outlook for signing new players is better? Something else?

1 hour ago, MisterOJ said:

So, presumably, Pep could have chosen to coach at either Man City or Man United, right? 

And if that's the case - what makes City the hands down pick to coach at? Is it because the current squad is better? The outlook for signing new players is better? Something else?

Yes to all of those.

The something else is that City is virtually guaranteed at the Champions League last year, unlike United, and he also won't have to deal with the shadow of Fergie there.

10 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

City would need to do some restructuring of their team too, not just United.

Pep will most likely spend big during next summer window, and it's a safe bet by the time the next season is over City's team would look much different.

Their entire defense except for Kompany (aged 29) is 30 or over - Demichelis, Clichy, Sagna, Zabaleta, Kolarov as are Navas, Fernandinho, Silva, Toure. Not as important, of course, but so are both backup keepers. Sure, all (or at least most) of those players can play for a few seasons more but replacements will need to be in place soon.

And if we add that Toure has allegedly said he'll leave if Pep joins, City are in for turbulent time. The thing is they can afford buying star players and, with Pep joining, their appeal would only increase.

Or the time for all those youngsters Alex talks about to take over has finally come. :D:P 

What a boring transfer window. It is difficult to bring in high quality players in January and the top clubs must be waiting for the off season where I'm sure we will see some serious money being thrown about. Looking forward to seeing how Pep gets on at City. He had world class squads to work with from the get go at both Barca and Bayern and while City do have a great squad, they do not enjoy the same sort of gulf in quality against their rivals. Also, in England, the clubs outside the top four have far more spending power than their continental counterparts. I think that Pep will bring success but I don't think that we will see him replicate the same level of dominance at City that he had at Barca and Bayern.

I agree. The EPL is very competitive and the TV money is going to make it more so. While City have more money than anyone else in the league, it's not going to be so easy to stomp all over the opposition as it would be in the highly stratified leagues of Spain and Germany.

I think the fact that City's squad need a little bit of an overhaul may have worked in their favour. Guardiola can remake the team in his image and probably in considerably calmer circumstances than would have happened at United.

15 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I don't think it was a 'hands down pick': in fact, I'm fairly sure that's why City announced the deal now. They're aware that their rivals would love to hijack it, and calculated that announcing it publicly would make that harder to pull off. It puts more pressure on Guardiola to stick to his word and come to City.

I don't know how that works, but I'm fairly certain that before such news are announced there are some sort of contracts signed that would ensure Pep moves to City much better than a bunch of people thinking he's an ass if he doesn't.

Unless I'm mistaken, players are allowed to talk to other clubs six months before their contracts expire and sign some sort of pre-contract during that period. Managers being able to do the same would not come as a surprise.

baxus: from the little I know of contract law, the legality of contracts generally becomes enforceable by law ONLY once one or both parties actually starts fulfilling the agreed upon duties in the contract.  Until Pep starts managing the club, or until City start paying him for his services, the agreement is tenuous. 

18 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

Yes, and two of his old Barcelona buddies are basically in charge of City, so Guardiola pretty much gets to rule supreme. With Bayern he was very influential, but he still needed the final nod from the bosses for transfers, and the medical department had a bigger influence on whether a player was fit enough to play than he liked. 

In MLS offseason news: rumours are a-swirling that the most detestable human being in the league is about to join my beloved Whitecaps.  Blas Perez, the 34 year old Panama international and long-time Dallas striker, whose elbows and studs have left marks on countless opposing players (including many of his proposed new teammates), and whose body has flopped dramatically to the pitch thousands of times over his long and mediocre career, is supposedly traveling to meet up with the Whitecaps as I type this.  I can only hope that this is not true.  There is no worse signing that the club could make.

I really have no idea of what to make of this transfer window for Everton. 

We've signed:

Oumar Niasse, who is supposedly quick and strong. We like. He shoots hard, it is said (like), but is distinctly one-footed in that regard (well, so was Maradona). Also, he didn't really start being serious about football until he was 18 (that's what they say) and had five months on loan at Brann (in Bergen, Norway for those who don't know about this world-famous club) where he didn't play at all - not even for the reserves (would type dislike, but then again .. Brann .. big club, fantastic fans, relegated because of mismanagement). Will have to see him play first, I suspect he's not the complete package.

Matty Foulds, 17 years old centre back. Said to be the next John Stones (didn't know Stones was going downhill quite that fast), which means we'll have another ball-hogging, arrogant but hugely talented person making life hard for supporters in the years to come. 

Shani Tarashaj, who I know nothing about (not even how to spell his name). Will join properly in the summer. 

We've gotten rid of:

Steven Naismith, who is a hard-working, honest player with a nose for goal. Unfortunately, he is largely mediocre in most areas (not very strong, not very fast, can't dribble etc..), so if we really have ambitions (Roberto says we do, but I don't trust anything he says) it makes sense to part company. I think he did well with us, given his talent, and he did a lot of good in the community. Wishing him good luck.

Aiden McGeady, who is unfortunately only on loan at Wednesday. He's got talent on the ball, but that's all he's got. Can't get rid of it to save his life, and struggles with his delivery to boot. Also, hugely inconsistent. Not worth his fee, never mind Coleman's fee. Good riddance, and hope he doesn't come back. 

So, some mediocrity out and some unknowns in. Still a mediocre manager, who happens to insist that since nobody expected us to win the league, we're not underperforming. Anyone interested?

2 hours ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

baxus: from the little I know of contract law, the legality of contracts generally becomes enforceable by law ONLY once one or both parties actually starts fulfilling the agreed upon duties in the contract.  Until Pep starts managing the club, or until City start paying him for his services, the agreement is tenuous. 

That makes perfect sense, but I'm quite sure that limitation could be removed by City paying him a signing bonus or something. If that wouldn't be a breach of his contract with Bayern, of course.

Once again, I'm far from being an expert on the matter so I'm more or less just thinking out loud.

Archived