Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

But I agree, fuck Walcott from the right. We need to be utilizing him at CF where he looked his best.

I think you and I watched different games. Any time I've seen Walcott at CF, he's displayed decent movement coupled with some pretty awful finishing. That's not a combination that says 'successful centre-forward' to me.

18 minutes ago, mormont said:

I think you and I watched different games. Any time I've seen Walcott at CF, he's displayed decent movement coupled with some pretty awful finishing. That's not a combination that says 'successful centre-forward' to me.

Finishing was an issue but I've seen Walcott finish before. I think it was more confidence than anything and at the time, we were scoring enough goals around him that I wasn't worried. If given a longer run, I believed goals would come because he was in the right positions.

Regardless, when he played CF, the team looked most dangerous and I don't think that's a coincidence. Lets not believe that everything Walcott does as a CF has to be related to him scoring goals. If Ozil is assisting and Sanchez is scoring or Giroud is coming on and scoring due to the back line being tired of Walcott running behind then it's still a successful line up. 

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Finishing was an issue but I've seen Walcott finish before.

So have I, but not particularly often. Every player finishes a chance now and then. I don't think it's a confidence issue, either, because Walcott has never really had the kind of scoring streak confidence players tend to get.

I'd say Giroud's movement is improving much more than Walcott's finishing, which has always seemed to me to be a weakness and doesn't seem to me to be getting better.

I'd also say that the very thing Arsenal need right at this moment is someone who can finish chances, not someone who contributes to creating them. Looking dangerous is fine, but scoring is something else.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

So have I, but not particularly often. Every player finishes a chance now and then. I don't think it's a confidence issue, either, because Walcott has never really had the kind of scoring streak confidence players tend to get.

I'd say Giroud's movement is improving much more than Walcott's finishing, which has always seemed to me to be a weakness and doesn't seem to me to be getting better.

I'd also say that the very thing Arsenal need right at this moment is someone who can finish chances, not someone who contributes to creating them. Looking dangerous is fine, but scoring is something else.

I don't disagree but up until January, we were what, 2nd in the league in goals scored? Before Walcott got hurt, we were in a similar position. Finishing is absolutely an issue, but if the chances are falling to say Sanchez or Giroud is getting easier opportunities because of the legs of the defenders, then we score more goals. But yes, you're not wrong, finishing is a huge issue and a clinical striker would be a huge boon. Arsenal has only finished like 15% of the chances Ozil has created, including 10 yesterday. That's just insane. 

I guess my point is that of the players currently on this team, Walcott helped the team play the best football when he was CF. Giroud has been productive but the team never clicked as well as it did when Walcott was running behind defenders and Giroud was coming on at around the 65th minute. I will say this, Walcott shouldn't be in the side unless he's at CF. He's useless otherwise. That's clearly my opinion but I believe it.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35508280

What do you say Man Utd fans? It's looking increasingly likely Mourinho and Manchester United. Well, Premier League is shaping up to be some contest between top managers for next year Wenger, Klopp, Guardiola, one of the trio Conte/Allegri/Pellegrini at Chelsea and Mourinho as Red Devil.

25 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35508280

What do you say Man Utd fans? It's looking increasingly likely Mourinho and Manchester United. Well, Premier League is shaping up to be some contest between top managers for next year Wenger, Klopp, Guardiola, one of the trio Conte/Allegri/Pellegrini at Chelsea and Mourinho as Red Devil.

Unless Mou is able to change his entire footballing philosophy, this will probably end in disaster. And I'm not just talking about the turgid football. It's the nasty, cynical way his teams play. Dirty horrible bastards, every team he's ever coached. Not to mention all the off-field baggage. Can't see any of the above being looked on too kindly by the United Board.

He'll probably say all the right things at the interview, but does anyone believe he can, or even wants to change?

I hate it. Hateithateithateit. HATE IT.

He's a fucking poisonous dickwad that will destroy all the coaching base that would have been the bright-spot of two years of LVG's otherwise disappointing tenure, and he won't play exciting football to do it either. Yes, he'll secure short-term success, but after that we'll be worse off than we are now. And he'll probably force at least one of our best players out just to prove how big his dick is too.

Hate it. Crossing fingers that it won't happen.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He's a fucking poisonous dickwad that will destroy all the coaching base that would have been the bright-spot of two years of LVG's otherwise disappointing tenure, and he won't play exciting football to do it either. Yes, he'll secure short-term success, but after that we'll be worse off than we are now. And he'll probably force at least one of our best players out just to prove how big his dick is too.

Mata's all like, 'Nooooooooooooooo!'

Pretty sure this is going to happen. Someone at United is briefing the BBC, and they would only do that if they were close to an appointment.

Van Gaal must be livid. Won't be surprised to see Mou in charge for the trip to Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Pretty sure this is going to happen. Someone at United is briefing the BBC, and they would only do that if they were close to an appointment.

Still hoping for a last minute revelation that we get Blanc, Allegri or Simeone instead.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

C'mon. Tell us how you really feel!

But yeah, seems like a contender for "worst hire of the century (within football)". Good luck!

Archived