Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Bollocks. It's Flamini and Ramsey. Again.

ETA: Elneny doesn't even make the bench.

Elneny's wife gave birth this morning.

Wenger is just trolling us now. Said he started Flamini and Chamberlain on form. The solution to our squad who hasn't scored in 3 straight PL games is Chamberlain, who has one contribution to a goal in 9 months. Fun.

ETA: Hilarious. Chamberlain's first goal in 16 months. Wenger could feel it I guess.

Disappointed that we couldn't hold out for the win but pleased with the overall performance. Our performance in the last two games, specifically our attacking play which seems to have found a bit more of a cutting edge, offers some encouragement that we could have a decent finish to the season.

28 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Disappointed that we couldn't hold out for the win but pleased with the overall performance. Our performance in the last two games, specifically our attacking play which seems to have found a bit more of a cutting edge, offers some encouragement that we could have a decent finish to the season.

We had seventeen shots today. Seventeen! Can you imagine?

Draw was about fair result. Costa is such an annoying guy, but he can score and bring passion to the team. Still can't understand the decision about Terry...they guy is still rock solid. Poor guy Zouma...that's about few months with knee ligament injury. Just as I saw him land on his knee and it bent...ouch. Lingaard love that guy, terrific finish. De Gea and Courtois really stood out for me. Wish we have such a goalkeeper.

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

We had seventeen shots today. Seventeen! Can you imagine?

Does seem like the shackles have come off a bit. Alot less of the pointless and dreary backwards and sideways possession. If we had played like this from the start of the season, I doubt the calls for LVG's job would be nearly as loud.

13 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Still can't understand the decision about Terry...they guy is still rock solid.

It's not a decision, it's Terry playing chicken with the owners.

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Does seem like the shackles have come off a bit. Alot less of the pointless and dreary backwards and sideways possession. If we had played like this from the start of the season, I doubt the calls for LVG's job would be nearly as loud.

Oddly enough, considering his limitations, Carrick does seem to have made a big difference. Much moreso than Schweinsteiger when he's been available.
Plus Rooney's back in a bit of form which makes an enormous difference to the whole frontline. Just his movement allows everyone else room to work.

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Oddly enough, considering his limitations, Carrick does seem to have made a big difference. Much moreso than Schweinsteiger when he's been available.
Plus Rooney's back in a bit of form which makes an enormous difference to the whole frontline. Just his movement allows everyone else room to work.

A great shame that our attacking play finally seems to be clicking when it appears increasingly likely that LVG is on his way out and that we are going to be saddled with Mourinho. :bang:  This is probably how LVG originally envisioned the side to play attacking wise combined with controlling the game through possession based football.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

A great shame that our attacking play finally seems to be clicking when it appears increasingly likely that LVG is on his way out and that we are going to be saddled with Mourinho. :bang:  This is probably how LVG originally envisioned the side to play attacking wise combined with controlling the game through possession based football.

I'm still hoping that no decision's been made and that the improved performances will stave it off until he gets impatient and fucks off to manage Portugal.

This is definitely what LVG wanted all along. Why it's taken so long to get there, I dunno, and it's obviously still very tenuous, but like I said yesterday it'd be a damn shame to ruin all the work that's been done by bringing in Jose.

13 hours ago, Rorshach said:

I don't want this to become a discussion on Weidenfeller per se. Still, I don't rate him as a top keeper.

Sure. Neuer is world class. So was Kahn, around the change of the millenium, or Lehman a couple of years. But Kahn dropped off, and wasn't really all that good in 2002 (a good keeper would have saved at least one of the Brazilian goals in the final), and Lehman was erratic. Could be brilliant, could be dross. 

Weidenfeller, like Adler, Enke etc, was a solid keeper. Didn't make too many mistakes, but didn't really win games for his team either. That, in my view, made him reliable. And if your choice is Mignolet or someone reliable, I'd go for reliable. The downside with such a keeper is that they don't give you extra points. de Gea, Cortois, Lloris, Cech, Butland - these guys will get you extra points in the course of a season. Weidenfeller would be in a group below, keepers who don't lose points. Below that again, you find Mignolet, Howard (this and last season), Gomes - keepers who can play very well indeed in single matches, but overall will cost you points.

We'll leave the Rudds out of this - as should Norwich. 

Anyway, point being that if (major if) Mignolet could raise his game (drop his clangers), he'd be as good a keeper as Weidenfeller was, because Weidenfeller was solid, but not spectacular. Mignolet has a higher ceiling.

Actually he dropped off after the 2002 World Cup. The WC Final was the first poor game he had that year. That Germany site in '02 was as pathetic as the England squad was in 2014. Kahn more or less carried them to the final. Of course that he conceded soft goals on the big stage was/is more memorable than the unreal saves he pulled off during the rest of the tournament. If he had played the entire tournament like the Final, he would have never won the best player award, as a goalkeeper no less.

As for Adler don't mistake the young and rising Adler with that washed up version playing for that, well there are no curse in Elvish, Antish or the tongue of men to describe his current club. 

Yes, Enke and Weidenfeller very good and reliable goalies. No show offs, but both capable of making big saves. With Weidenfeller you probably put a bit too much weigh on last season, in which he truely sucked and contributed big time to Dortmund's poor first half.

Bear in Mind Enke played for Hannover, which were a midtable team at best. Yet, he was among the best goalies in the Bundesliga for years. But like I said, no show off. He simply wasn't one of those goalies who took 2 steps to the right, just to make a diving save 3 steps to the left.

Of course, if you make a cut off at the ones like Cortois, Cech and de Gea and Neuer, P. Schmeichel (early to mid 90s), van der Sar (also not a super flashy show off goalie), Buffon, Casillas then you really wind up at generational goalies. 

Didn't see the game this afternoon, but just watched the highlights on MotD. Not the best performance, but we got the job done and stopped the rot.

Ramsey had one of his best games for a while, probably MotM. And it's always good to see Ozil on the scoresheet.

If we beat Leicester next week then we're two points behind and the shit will be on again.

COYG.

7 hours ago, Jeor said:

Yes, next week is going to be awesome. The top four all play each other so there could be quite a few big implications for the title race.

The next 10 days (starting with Sunday) will be big for Arsenal. Leicester in the league, Hull in FA Cup and then Barcelona in CL. Fun times.

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You'll beat Barca, but Leicester are going to smash you.

I can't wait to play Leicester. Last time we played them, it was such a great game to watch, not because of the score but the openness of the game. We started with Walcott at CF and I think that's what we need to do again, despite his form. Giroud offers nothing in this type of game until the end.

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

I can't wait to play Leicester. Last time we played them, it was such a great game to watch, not because of the score but the openness of the game. We started with Walcott at CF and I think that's what we need to do again, despite his form. Giroud offers nothing in this type of game until the end.

Last time we played them, Sanchez got a hat trick. Would be a very nice game for him to rediscover his scoring form, but their defence has improved beyond recognition since the 5-2.

Pretty sure Wenger will stick with Giroud up front, with the Ox doing enough against Bournemouth to get the nod over Walcott. I think the key selection dilemmas are in defence and midfield. Gabriel looks like a decent prospect for the future, but he does tend to commit at least one howler per match. Though given the pace of Leicester's attack, I'd probably choose him over the BFG.

In CM, he's got to select Coquelin. Has to. We got away with it at the weekend, but Flamini's two-footed airborne tackle could really have screwed us. In a game that we absolutely had to win, the reckless stupidity will not have escaped Wenger, and I'm pretty sure Flamini will be benched.

The Leicester game really could go either way. Agreed that they're very mobile so Gabriel/Koscielny might be better than Mertesacker. Coquelin in midfield a must. I don't mind Giroud playing so much if he's still part of a fast breaking game with knockdowns and layoffs, with Sanchez and Ramsey running past him. Either way Wenger could play Giroud and Walcott for a half each.

Archived