Football: gegenposting

Iskaral Pust

So, since we beat Aston Villa on the 21th of November, we've won one game in the league. One out of nine. We've only lost two, but six draws doesn't cut it. 

Martinez can't leave fast enogh for my tastes. But we've got this loyal chairman who gives people time.. *sigh* 

I think Spurs are now joint favorites for the title, along with City and Arsenal. They have the consistency, good fortune with injuries (so far) and ability to force a goal from somewhere. I know they're 5 points off the leaders but so many points are being dropped by all teams.

And I think Everton are now underperforming as badly as Utd and only Chelsea is worse. With the players in their first team and their relatively light injuries this season, they really should be expecting to do as well as Spurs are.

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Chelsea can have their worst season in years, but they will beat Arsenal. Chelsea didn't even have to try something special, in fact it was a poor performance. Chelsea is Arsenal's bogey team.

It'd help if Arsenal could play a game with 11 players. Losing a player in the first half makes these games so painful to watch.

I would have preferred that we got blown away 4-0 or something.

Losing 1-0 after playing with 10 men for three quarters of the match makes it look like we could have gotten something if we had 11 on the pitch.

16 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Chelsea can have their worst season in years, but they will beat Arsenal. Chelsea didn't even have to try something special, in fact it was a poor performance. Chelsea is Arsenal's bogey team.

Chelsea are in their head and know Arsenal's game inside out. It has to be mental for Arsenal to lose to them all the time.

That said it is not as if Arsenal hasn't lost games against other teams this season, they are very prone to, well, losing.

I don't see them as a title candidate, I think Spurs and City will decide who wins this year. Though Leicester might hang in there till the end.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Chelsea are in their head and know Arsenal's game inside out. It has to be mental for Arsenal to lose to them all the time.

That said it is not as if Arsenal hasn't lost games against other teams this season, they are very prone to, well, losing.

I don't see them as a title candidate, I think Spurs and City will decide who wins this year. Though Leicester might hang in there till the end.

It's not like Spurs and City hasn't dropped points this season either. Nope, they've been perfect.

I hate these Chelsea fixtures. Next time, I think I'll just stay at home and take a cheese grater to my scrotum. 

The only positive from yesterday was the return of Alexis. Considering how long he's been out, he looked great. I reckon he's going to have a huge say in where the title ends up.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

No one said they were, but they don't look quite as unstable as Arsenal.

City certainly does. Maybe not Tottenham lately but they've had remarkable injury luck so far and if it takes any turn, they're in trouble.

On the Arsenal side, Alexis just came back for the first time in 2 months, Coquelin is expected back this weekend or next and Welbeck is in full training. While Arsenal look mediocre when missing their two most important players (I don't think people realize how much difference Coquelin makes to the side), I expect them to regain the consistency when Sanchez/Coquelin get back into the side, the same consistency they had for the entire 2015 with the same players and had before those players got injured. That is assuming they can avoid more injuries to key contributors.

There is always something with Arsenal, week in week out, season after season.

That whole paragraph you wrote there could be kept as a template and used again 6 weeks from now, just changing the names.

And all that said, they look very unstable even when they do have most of the team fit. It's just not a great team.

1 minute ago, Calibandar said:

There is always something with Arsenal, week in week out, season after season.

That whole paragraph you wrote there could be kept as a template and used again 6 weeks from now, just changing the names.

And all that said, they look very unstable even when they do have most of the team fit. It's just not a great team.

Yes, something always happens, I agree. And something is likely to happen again because it's Arsenal. We never have the health or depth to last a full season. We don't have a manager who's willing to buy the players we need and at times we play with subpar squad players due to injuries.

But to ignore that we've scored the most points in 2015 despite this, to say that's not consistency, and that we're not a great team while talking up other teams that have performed worse than us on the season, in the calendar year and against us and the top 7, seems a bit disingenuous. When Arsenal has it's best players, they're as good as anyone and those players are back in the side now. Top players matter and when you see a form dip, it tends to coincide with injuries to top players. When top players come back, form improves. Expect that going forward until the next injuries but if they don't happen, hard to ignore them as a title contender.

9 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Well let's hope the template still fits. Because that means our injury woes will recede, and we'll finish the season strongly.

Archived