Star Wars Rebels (All Star Wars Spoilers)

Corvinus85

Yes, I doubt that Kallus did this just for his debt to Zeb. And hopefully there will be more interaction between them.

So now Wedge Antilles is part of the Rebellion. I'm glad we got to see his origin story, or part of it, at least. I wonder how long until the Rebellion secures X-Wings. The Rebellion's success in the critical battles of the war were not just because of good pilots, but also good starfighters. 

7 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I was expecting them to reveal Kallus as the new Fulcrum.  Maybe they still will.

Of course, the story didn't make a whole lot of sense...they lost 6 pilots at the start...so did this daring missions...to end up with 2 pilots.

Now that you've mentioned it, I'm pretty sure Kallus is the new Fulcrum. It hadn't occurred to me at all, but it fits perfectly, and the intonation of the disguised voice sounded familiar. 

It didn't feel like a great victory, did it? But that's okay. If the Rebel Alliance kept on scoring easy wins, there wouldn't be much drama there. 

5 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I was expecting them to reveal Kallus as the new Fulcrum.  Maybe they still will.

Of course, the story didn't make a whole lot of sense...they lost 6 pilots at the start...so did this daring missions...to end up with 2 pilots.

Well they didn't lose the pilots in the process of getting new ones. And Sabine didn't know how many defectors she was going to find. It could have been a dozen. So the fact that they got two is still a small victory.

I wonder if up until now all their fighter pilots were just former commercial pilots, with minimum experience. But now, they are starting to get Imperial Navy trained pilots, and they'll get the definite advantage.

On 5.10.2016 at 11:12 AM, red snow said:

I thought the claim was it was only the darkside keeping him alive post injury? So while he may actually be shitter than he was as Anakin he's doing well for an otherwise corpse?

Well, Grievious didn't seem discommoded despite having even less body parts remaining and no access to the Force at all... Was this a pre-prequel EU idea, maybe?

I agree we need to have a proper Darth vs Jedi/Maul epic battle some day. Fingers crossed we at least see him be badass in Rogue One.

Ditto, but he wouldn't fight  any powerful Force-users in RO, so it wouldn't be quite comparable...

Does Maul have beef with Anakin from TCW? I really need to force my way through season 1 of clone wars and get to the good stuff.

I don't think that there is any particular beef between them. And IMHO TCW's season 1 isn't that bad. If nothing else, there are a lot of good-looking space-battles. There are never enough space-battles in science fiction /space opera films and series for my taste.

Maul does want to kill the emperor and his second, right? I'd buy ringside seats to see Maul take on Vader.

He said so in season 2 finale. And 100 x yes.

So, "Antilles Extraction" was good, but now I am confused. Wasn't the captain of Leia's ship in ANH, the one who was strangled by Vader also called  Antilles? I have always assumed that the 2 were related and that was the reason for them both being with the Rebellion, but in this case, why was Wedge first a freighter pilot and then an Imperial cadet?

Loved Governor Pryce - she seemed competent and tough. Here is to hoping that she will be a better female villain than the Seventh Sister and that they won't kill her off at the end of the season. Nice to see a good Sabine-centered episode too.

As to Kallus, he is definitely on the heel-turn. It wouldn't be believable if he already was the new Fulcrum, just half a year or so after still  being a dedicated Imperial. Not that such considerations stopped the creaters in the past... But if he became a normal double agent, he might be a plausible reason for why Thrawn and Pryce will fail to quash the Rebellion without making them look like fools. In fact, I even wonder if Kallus won't ultimately take over the role of:

Thrawn trilogy spoiler

Spoiler

Rukh. And maybe a bit of Mara Jade before that, with priveleged computer backdoors, etc?

Can't say I was overly enthralled by the episode.  They've essentially done it already and they even alluded to that in the episode.

I struggled with Wedge's age and appearance.

Other than the idea of another Fulcrum...are they using the same call sign for every spy to help blur how many there are...this episode wasn't overly strong...

It must have been from the "shadows of the empire" book (and even then it was a preview version not the full book) as that's the only star wars book I've read. Add to that the caveat it's easily 20 years since that book came out and this "fact" may just be my imagination :)

The Grievous counter example is also a good one. Vader has little excuse.

I was at a stag weekend so I'm a bit behind on my TV viewing so still need to catch up with the latest episode.

I liked how they showed the Empire becoming more ruthless and cunning now that Thrawn's in charge - the no survivors approach to the Rebel convoy and the trap with the fighters. Having the Rebels survive through things like Imperial betrayals and an office underestimating the Mandalorian is the kind of thing they need to do to handle Thrawn - his plans (presumably) are excellent, but are sabotaged infighting or incompetence by the lower level officers

2 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

I liked how they showed the Empire becoming more ruthless and cunning now that Thrawn's in charge - the no survivors approach to the Rebel convoy and the trap with the fighters. Having the Rebels survive through things like Imperial betrayals and an office underestimating the Mandalorian is the kind of thing they need to do to handle Thrawn - his plans (presumably) are excellent, but are sabotaged infighting or incompetence by the lower level officers

Yes, the start with the annihilation of the A-Wings was pretty effective. Afterwards, I'd say it was competent, but not inspiring, though I liked the characterisation of Ezra, as he showed he was really bad at watching from the wings. The the recycling of the cadet infiltration plot seemed lazy; on the other hand, quite a few threads were introduced or developed through it, so it wasn't entirely wasted. We had the emerging Sithra Bridger (thanks, petyr), the Rebels' tech and personnel problems, the new Fulcrum, Kallus helping Sabine, and the new Imperial boss type establishing herself as being ruthless but also somewhat smarter than is the wont of most Imperial boss types. 

It was a bit of a waste of Sabine though. I mean, this was supposed to be a kind of Sabine episode, but it really just showed her being generically heroic. 

21 minutes ago, dog-days said:

It was a bit of a waste of Sabine though. I mean, this was supposed to be a kind of Sabine episode, but it really just showed her being generically heroic. 

Hopefully they'll do more with her in the Mandalorian story arc they have for this season.

8 hours ago, Maia said:

So, "Antilles Extraction" was good, but now I am confused. Wasn't the captain of Leia's ship in ANH, the one who was strangled by Vader also called  Antilles? I have always assumed that the 2 were related and that was the reason for them both being with the Rebellion, but in this case, why was Wedge first a freighter pilot and then an Imperial cadet?

"Antilles" seems to be like "Smith" or "Jones" in the Star Wars universe.  There's been at least 3 characters with that last name, none of which are related to each other.  Wedge, of course, and then yes...the Captain of Leia's Corellian Corvette was Captain Antilles.  There was also a "Bail Antilles" mentioned in The Phantom Menace as a potential new Chancellor. 

15 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Ah but they lost six generic pilots, but gained two named pilots with unique faces! At least one of whom isn't a redshirt so can't be shot down.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Well there you go! Two named pilots waiting for X-Wings are better than infinity generic pilots blowing up in A-Wings!

Speaking of A-Wings, X-Wings, etc...it was always my impression from the original movies that A-Wings and B-Wings didn't come along until later.  Y-Wings were the old workhorses, X-Wings were sort of the new standard, and then by ROTJ, they had produced some new designs - A-Wings and B-Wings.  Rebels seems to have flipped that on it's end, having A-Wings be the standard, and the episode last season with the B-Wing prototype.

4 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Speaking of A-Wings, X-Wings, etc...it was always my impression from the original movies that A-Wings and B-Wings didn't come along until later.  Y-Wings were the old workhorses, X-Wings were sort of the new standard, and then by ROTJ, they had produced some new designs - A-Wings and B-Wings.  Rebels seems to have flipped that on it's end, having A-Wings be the standard, and the episode last season with the B-Wing prototype.

That was how it was in the old EU, this seems to have changed in the new continuity. Which annoys me since now the A-Wings seem to have taken the place of the Z-95, while in truth obviously the A-Wing is the far superior craft.

6 hours ago, HokieStone said:

It was my impression as a casual Star Wars fan that the Y-Wings were akin to WW2 bomber planes while X-Wings were akin to WW2 fighter planes. Then A- and B-Wings were the new designs, respectively, for the fighter and bomber crafts. 

8 hours ago, HokieStone said:

The impression I had is that its a cell thing - the Yavin cell are the ones with X and Y wings, the cells using A and B wings are elsewhere in Ep4 before uniting the fleet in ROTJ. I guess Wedge will get cycled out at some point.

The A-Wings seem to be designed after the Jedi starfighters. So I don't think they should be the newest design. The A-Wing is a fast, maneuverable interceptor, but it doesn't have the X-Wing's versatility. The B-Wing does seem to be the newer design, and it's designed as a heavy fighter, perhaps to replace the Y-Wing. Rebels so far only showed a prototype.

Like karaddin said, at the Battle of Endor the Rebels brought all of their fleet resources, while at Yavin, only the main strike fleet under General Dodonna was present. Rebels mentioned his name in the first episode of this season.

Edit: And considering that the new movies are going with the X-Wing as the main starfighter, I will venture a prediction and say that Rebels will showcase the X-Wing's superiority to any other Rebel craft.   

Archived