Star Wars Rebels (All Star Wars Spoilers)

Corvinus85

I can definitely see Thrawn getting sidelined for being too effective, the point I was trying to get at for that is that the Rebels would need to appear to have been genuinely defeated for him to seem that successful. So it would need to happen real soon to give time for his departure and then the rebellion getting back together and escalating in the open. Which may well be where the second half of the season goes, then time skip to cover Scarif next season.

More Thrawn, less Maul, please.

Always thought that bringing Maul back was a bad idea. Sure, kids love him (and so do people who were kids back then), but for crying out loud, he is the most overrated character in Star Wars universe (together with Boba Fett). He didn't even speak in the movies, and just did stupid dancing. Then to make him come back, takes a bit out of Kenobi.

And then to make him fight 1000 times with Kenobi, FFS.

In my brain, he died in Naboo. And he was never a Darth, like Plagueis book says.

I hope that they keep Thrawn elements in the show, or in the next show (if it is after RotJ). His books are the best thing in EU (together with Kotor games) and there is no need to decanon them. Sure, change them in the new canon, but keep the big elements there.

Don't like Ahsoka being on limbo yet again. The finale of Season 2 was the perfect opportunity to gave her a perfect ending. Maybe her sacrificing herself to save the Rebels and her Old Master but being cut from him. Alternately, they could have cut Kanan (who is not interesting at all) and make Ezra her padawan (a prodigy being trained from a prodigy, what can go wrong). I think that inevitably they will make her come back (they always do, for everyone) but then how they are going to finish her story? She is not in the movies, and can anyone imagine her staying out of the conflict?

Thinking on it some more, given the expectation of the introduction of at least one bounty hunter this season (potentially more) then a crushing victory for Thrawn, which was certainly hinted at in the trailer, followed by a period of bounty hunters trying to hunt down the remnants of phoenix squadron would certainly make narrative sense. Thrawn is reassigned while that's going on, with the assumption that the Rebels are on the verge of defeat. Mon Mothma, Bail etc continue to build the rebellion up with Phoenix squad acting as though they're the remnants of the rebellion on the ropes to draw the bounty hunter attention and throw the Empire off the scent. This probably saves us from needing to see the base on Dantooine, and the Ghost is only brought back into the fold and sees the full extent of the rebellion shortly before R1 (and Hera gets her promotion then).

Can certainly see something like this all making sense for the scale of what they can show in this show. I wouldn't be surprised in along the way the Ghost loses some crew, Sabine returns to Mandalore, Zeb possibly dies, Kanan maybe dies and Ezra and Kanan potentially out of the picture by the time of R1 so the rebellion genuinely doesn't believe it has force users floating around. As long as they're separate from the Leia section of the rebellion I can see them hanging around till after Hoth (as long as they aren't there), but I don't see how there can be other force users active in the rebellion at the start of RotJ without Luke knowing about it unless the leadership is intentionally keeping them away, and they have to not identify as jedi (which is why I think Kanan will die - he's had his test of faith and chose to be Jedi unlike Ahsoka) as I don't think Yoda outright lies. I mean, there is always that speculation that Luke actually receives training between the end of Empire and the start of RotJ from someone other than Yoda (ie Ahsoka or Kanan/Ezra) as he's much more capable/confident and its not clear how much time passes.

4 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

More Thrawn, less Maul, please.

Always thought that bringing Maul back was a bad idea. Sure, kids love him (and so do people who were kids back then), but for crying out loud, he is the most overrated character in Star Wars universe (together with Boba Fett). He didn't even speak in the movies, and just did stupid dancing. Then to make him come back, takes a bit out of Kenobi

Maul had 2 lines i think:  "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.  At last we will have revenge."

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

I mean, there is always that speculation that Luke actually receives training between the end of Empire and the start of RotJ from someone other than Yoda (ie Ahsoka or Kanan/Ezra) as he's much more capable/confident and its not clear how much time passes.

I'd never thought about that but that would be super cool if he had secret training from Ahsoka or Kanan/Ezra. I still hope that the "non-jedi" according to Yoda's infamous line will get mentioned in the new films - especially when we have Luke talking. There are elements to Ren and Snoke that suggest Force users developed a new path and Ahsoka could certainly fit that bill.

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Maul had 2 lines i think:  "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi.  At last we will have revenge."

two more than Luke in TFA.

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

I can definitely see Thrawn getting sidelined for being too effective, the point I was trying to get at for that is that the Rebels would need to appear to have been genuinely defeated for him to seem that successful. So it would need to happen real soon to give time for his departure and then the rebellion getting back together and escalating in the open. Which may well be where the second half of the season goes, then time skip to cover Scarif next season.

The show needs it's ESB moment. I think it will be very interesting to see how Ezra deals with it in terms of the force and how the rest of the crew deal with it in general.

10 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Is it weird that the thing that excite me about that trailer isn't really the main Rebels characters but instead it's the Mandalorians, Thrawn, Maul and even Saw Gerrera?

I think that's fine. This small crew are meant to connect us with all the other aspects of the star wars galaxy and besides the force users they are supposed to be one of many small cells. It means the characters have to be relatively grounded although on closer inspection we have a holocaust survivor, a potential mandolorian leader and a pseudo ex princess/daughter of a general. I think they put a lot of thought into who the crew were going to be unless they do some impressive on the fly development.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Boba Fett died in the stomach of the Sarlacc.

Not in either the old canon or the new one, he didn't, as per word of George Lucas himself.

Don't like Ahsoka being on limbo yet again. The finale of Season 2 was the perfect opportunity to gave her a perfect ending. Maybe her sacrificing herself to save the Rebels and her Old Master but being cut from him. Alternately, they could have cut Kanan (who is not interesting at all) and make Ezra her padawan (a prodigy being trained from a prodigy, what can go wrong). I think that inevitably they will make her come back (they always do, for everyone) but then how they are going to finish her story? She is not in the movies, and can anyone imagine her staying out of the conflict?

I'm starting to think that the "Jedi Colony" idea makes the most sense. Ahsoka (after venturing into the Sith temple; she clearly survived the end of Season 2), Kanan and Ezra take the younglings to the far side of the galaxy or something and bascially stay out of the way until post-RotJ, and then provide the core of Luke's new Jedi Academy. Kanan or Ahsoka are expendable and one may die at some point, but given that Rebels is aimed at kids they're not going to massacre the entire cast.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not in either the old canon or the new one, he didn't, as per word of George Lucas himself.

I'm starting to think that the "Jedi Colony" idea makes the most sense. Ahsoka (after venturing into the Sith temple; she clearly survived the end of Season 2), Kanan and Ezra take the younglings to the far side of the galaxy or something and bascially stay out of the way until post-RotJ, and then provide the core of Luke's new Jedi Academy. Kanan or Ahsoka are expendable and one may die at some point, but given that Rebels is aimed at kids they're not going to massacre the entire cast.

Boba Fett should have died in the stomach of the Sarlacc.

I have a feeling that they're going to come up with some survival excuse for the stormtrooper who fought Finn in TFA and got blasted by Han with Chewie's bowcaster. Out of all the new characters in TFA, it seems that he is the closest to have the Bobba effect.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don't think those two lines really help the argument that having Maul survive being bisected makes any sense.

OK... 

Space Wizards can shoot lightning from their fingertips.

You can control light to stop at the end of a sword length with nothing obstructing it.

Ships scream while flying through space.

Telekinesis by manipulating life energy is common.|

A space station has the power to blow up planets because they harness magic crystals.

Upon death, people disappear into thin air and then apparate as Force Ghosts.... 

But... cutting an alien in half and having it survive is just too far.

15 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

OK... 

Space Wizards can shoot lightning from their fingertips.

You can control light to stop at the end of a sword length with nothing obstructing it.

Ships scream while flying through space.

Telekinesis by manipulating life energy is common.|

A space station has the power to blow up planets because they harness magic crystals.

Upon death, people disappear into thin air and then apparate as Force Ghosts.... 

But... cutting an alien in half and having it survive is just too far.

Yes.  Absolutely.  Maul is shaped like a human as such it makes sense that he would be, largely, humanoid.  

First I don't buy that an instant light saber swipe is going to cauterize everything in his upper body he should have exsanguinated almost immediately.  Second, even if it does instantly cauterize everything that doesn't mean that's not hugely problematic that everything that was circulating is now sealed and not circulating we're talking embolism city here.  Third, he's got nothing with which to process food as his stomach and entire intestinal tract are below the cut.  Fourth, and finally, if you're going to argue he's an "alien" and didn't have anything he really needed below the line of the cut, that is incredibly "fan-servicy" as it doesn't make sense that he would look so human in the first place.  

It is crappy retconning.  It would make more sense if they tried to justify it by claiming Obi-Wan's memory was faulty or something.  Or that it was just a deep cut not an actual bisection.  The problem is Lucas thought it would be cool to see Maul flop into two peices as he fell and we all saw it.  Perhaps they could claim his species doesn't have legs and that the original lower part of his body was mechanical or something...

No, the survival of Darth Maul is really stupid, no matter how well they've used the character after his resurrection.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  Absolutely.  Maul is shaped like a human as such it makes sense that he would be, largely, humanoid.  

First I don't buy that an instant light saber swipe is going to cauterize everything in his upper body he should have exsanguinated almost immediately.  Second, even if it does instantly cauterize everything that doesn't mean that's not hugely problematic that everything that was circulating is now sealed and not circulating we're talking embolism city here.  Third, he's got nothing with which to process food as his stomach and entire intestinal tract is below the cut.  Fourth, and finally, if you're going to argue he's an "alien" and didn't have anything he really needed below the line of the cut, that is incredibly "fan-servicy" as it doesn't make sense that he would look so human in the first place.  

It is crappy retconning.  It would make more sense if they tried to justify it by claiming Obi-Wan's memory was faulty or something.  Or that it was just a deep cut not an actual bisection.  The problem is Lucas thought it would be cool to see Maul flop into two peices as he fell and we all saw it.  Perhaps they could claim his species doesn't have legs and that the original lower part of his body was mechanical or something...

No, the survival of Darth Maul is really stupid, no matter how well they've used the character after his resurrection.

So, a guy can disappear with a lightsaber strike, another character can take a crossbow shot that kills everyone else on impact and sends them flying 20 or more feet. A guy can be cut to pieces and then be shoved in lava, but this is just too far because of his digestive system... OK then Scott.. 

1 minute ago, Howdyphillip said:

So, a guy can disappear with a lightsaber strike, another character can take a crossbow shot that kills everyone else on impact and sends them flying 20 or more feet. A guy can be cut to pieces and then be shoved in lava, but this is just too far because of his digestive system... OK then Scott.. 

He was never shoved into lava.  He was severely burned because he was close to the lava (lets be honest both he an Obi Wan should be crispy critters from all the standing over lava pits they did in their ROTS fight) he has to wear a fricking life support suit because he was so severely injured.  But he wasn't bisected and the bisected guy walks around like he was never actually, you know, cut in half.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

He was never shoved into lava.  He was severely burned because he was close to the lava (lets be honest both he an Obi Wan should be crispy critters from all the standing over lava pits they did in their ROTS fight) he has to wear a fricking life support suit because he was so severely injured.  But he wasn't bisected and the bisected guy walks around like he was never actually, you know, cut in half.

That is because he has mechanical legs... 

11 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

That is because he has mechanical legs... 

You are aware that the lower part of a humanoid body does more than provide bipedal locomotion... right?  It is where the majority of our digestion gets done.  Where waste disposal is taken care of and where nasty stuff that builds up in our blood is filtered out and excreted.  Further, assuming everyone who jumps on the cauterization bandwagon is correct how the hell did he survive the build of various vital fluids in his upper body after all the vessels that dealt with circulation got sealed off?  

A humanoid being bisected is not something people can survive.  You can survive losing your legs and being severely burned.  Maul's survival, without a lot more explanation... is crap.

eta:

How about this.  What if some other "force practicioner" was on Naboo and stopped Maul's fall and put him in some sort of "force stasis" that kept him as he was the moment after the fatal wound (hell add it to the "Darth Jar Jar" myth".  Then was able to provide the treatment he needed to survived what is obviously a fatal injury.  All I'm asking is that the retcon be more than "his hate prevented him from dieing of either blood loss or puliminary embolisms that resulted from his incredibly traumatic injury."

Archived