It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia II: A starter thread?!? This is a finisher thread!!

Theda Baratheon

I think it'll be more the case that he returns having spent however much time passed over the summer getting to know his kid. I think the key thing is that the mum never really wanted him as part of her life but the kid's so Dennis may get a surprise when he thinks he's getting a family.

Dennis' face when Charlie kept bringing up left handedness was great.

Another strong season although too many episodes that required familiarity with other shows. The ones that didn't rely on that were on the whole great though.

Best episode of the season: "Hero or Hate Crime?"

Weakest episode: "Old Lady House: A Situation Comedy"

Other standouts for me were:

"The Gang Turns Black"

"The Gang Goes to the Water Park"

"Making Dennis Reynolds a Murderer"

So I'd say I only really loved 4/10, but even a weaker season of Sunny is still funnier than almost anything else on tv. 

Howerton may not be a regular next season, but I have enough faith in the show to know that they are not done with Dennis. Whether he comes back as a regular or not I expect the gang will eventually travel to South Dakota to visit him (probably in the season thirteen finale. Maybe after a season of a guest gang member?) If they do I suspect there will happen to be a series of unexplained deaths in the area (because Dennis cannot help being Dennis.) Then the show can either write him out as a serial killer without totally destroying Paddy's as a setting or have everything resolve conveniently so he can return to the ensemble for the fourteenth (and presumably final) season. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Howerton may not be a regular next season, but I have enough faith in the show to know that they are not done with Dennis. Whether he comes back as a regular or not I expect the gang will eventually travel to South Dakota to visit him (probably in the season thirteen finale. Maybe after a season of a guest gang member?) If they do I suspect there will happen to be a series of unexplained deaths in the area (because Dennis cannot help being Dennis.) Then the show can either write him out as a serial killer without totally destroying Paddy's as a setting or have everything resolve conveniently so he can return to the ensemble for the fourteenth (and presumably final) season. 

I'd be down with a season where they try to replace him with someone else in every episode.

To be honest I get the impression the show is fairly quick for them to film. Charlie Day had a phase where he seemed to be in every film for a year and he didn't take a season off and others have pointed out how Dee is in another show too.

I still think there's more chance of them doing some meta piss take of sitcoms that try and replace a key character. Might be a case of them having their cake and eating it but they could make it work - especially with the safety net of him being able to return.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:42 AM, red snow said:

To be honest I get the impression the show is fairly quick for them to film. Charlie Day had a phase where he seemed to be in every film for a year and he didn't take a season off and others have pointed out how Dee is in another show too.

I still think there's more chance of them doing some meta piss take of sitcoms that try and replace a key character. Might be a case of them having their cake and eating it but they could make it work - especially with the safety net of him being able to return.

As I mentioned, I think it would be hilarious if every week next season they tried to replace Dennis with a different person, with it naturally backfiring spectacularly each time.

15 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

You know I've been pondering the idea that they might just be playing around with famous sitcom finales. The scene with all of them in the brig of the ship last year was straight out of Seinfeld, Dennis shutting the bar down kind of reminded me of the last scene in Cheers (though not exactly), and didn't Dwight fire a rocket launcher in the last episode of The Office?

So what you're saying is that the series should end with the revelation that it was all the snow globe dream of Charlie's autistic son.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, RumHam said:

They're taking a year off, as Howerton suggested they would after the finale. Also I did not know that Rob McElhenny was directing a movie based on Minecraft. That's weird.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-on-hiatus/

sounds like they are all a bit busy. Shame we don't get a season next year but I'd rather wait longer and get a season where everyone is focused. After 12 seasons the show may benefit from a recharge too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived