Theda Baratheon

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia II: A starter thread?!? This is a finisher thread!!

237 posts in this topic

Haha remember what Mac said last season about musicals becoming a big part of his life moving forward?

10 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Haha remember what Mac said last season about musicals becoming a big part of his life moving forward?

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what this is in reference to, completely unaware that this came back last night. So thanks for the heads up! Will return after watching. 

Probably the most ridiculous episode of Sunny to date.  That said, I laughed quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Probably the most ridiculous episode of Sunny to date.  That said, I laughed quite a bit. 

"We're church blacks!"  

That was my favorite part.

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

That was a phenomenal cameo. 

Best part of the episode by a significant margin.  Especially at the end.

Glenn Howerton legit has an awesome singing voice. I never noticed because usually when Dennis sings it's more overtly silly.

Waiting for the whole series to come on Netflix UK is bullshit, however binge watching the whole series is an awesome Sunday. 

Has anyone ever pitched something you had to shut down in the room for going too far?

Generally speaking, nothing is going too far unless it doesn’t make us laugh. I remember early on, myself, Rob and Charlie wrote everything. We didn’t start hiring writers until the third season, but by that time we’d had two seasons on the air, and the show had started to accumulate a cult following. So we had a bunch of young writers that were coming and pitching us ideas, and we thought, “Wow, is this what people think our show is?” I remember a lot of it being really gross sexual jokes that were pitched to us, like, “Hey, everybody in the gang gets Aids.”

Oh ...

Right, but once you have Aids, you always have Aids. So you want us to do an episode where the characters have Aids, and then they just don’t have Aids the next episode? It’s just stuff where it doesn’t make any sense or it’s gross because, “Oh, that would be gross. A condom falls in someone’s mouth!” That’s just not funny to me. What’s funny to me is when a character wants something and the audience can relate to that desire, whatever it is. To me, when things go too far, it’s when I don’t know why the character’s doing what they’re doing. It’s not as much about the material or the subject matter, and more about when comedies have characters doing things that don’t make fucking sense. To me, that’s when it goes too far, when somebody puts their dick in something for reasons I can’t understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/04/its-always-sunny-philadelphia-season-12-glenn-howerton

<3

My god that first episode was bananas crazy fantastic. I am hearing great things about the rest of the season as well. I have missed this show terribly. I expect 2017 to be another shitty year and I need It's Always Sunny, Bojack and Archer back in my life. 

That was so amazing.  I'll be shocked if any episode beats that for me the rest of this season, and if one does, then it has been one hell of a season.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That was so amazing.  I'll be shocked if any episode beats that for me the rest of this season, and if one does, then it has been one hell of a season.

It was excellent - all 3 story threads worked well and the slide/AIDs punchline was brilliant. Dennis was great too - like he finally met someone he connected with and was even more proud when she screwed him over.

Only downside was the slight feeling of passive claustrophobia.

EDIT: I've seen the first episode now - it's fun in terms of creativity but not as rock solid as episode 2 which was brimming with jokes. I do agree that the guest appearance was excellent though and I loved how he was willing to take the piss out of himself.

Edited by red snow
more info

25 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Great episode. Loved the D&D cameos. 

were they the pool attendants? I thought there was something familiar about them.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

were they the pool attendants? I thought there was something familiar about them.

Yep

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Great episode. Loved the D&D cameos. 

Fun seeing the fat kid from Shameless too.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Fun seeing the fat kid from Shameless too.

Chuckie chewing them free was great. :lol:

Old Lady House was a bit weak compared to the last couple episodes, but still had some pretty funny moments. Uncle Jack appearances are always good. 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Old Lady House was a bit weak compared to the last couple episodes, but still had some pretty funny moments. Uncle Jack appearances are always good. 

It was fun to see them mocking traditional sitcoms but it felt like that was the only joke going and therefore got a little stretched.

Definitely the weakest episode so far this season.  It was still enjoyable, but it's probably one I won't re-watch much in the future.