Was it a bad choice for GRRM to allow a tv show?

Raven

Haven't the recent changes in the show shown an altered story from the books? I don't like it at all to be honest. They should have waited until GRRM was done with book 6 or ideally the last book. Now I'm afraid we're going to see two situations:

1) Tv spoilers for book readers, which shouldn't ever happen for any book reader of any genre out there
2) Altered tv show storyline which the book readers won't like

I stopped watching the tv show after season 3 I believe. Tv show wasn't on par with the books in my opinion, which annoyed me. The funny thing is I was introduced to the tv show before I read the books.

Come on, if you were offered a deal which would publicize your work to the masses and make you tons of money would you really say no? And say whatever you want about the show, they deliver consistently. We do get a new season every spring. I'm just happy we're finally getting new material.

No. The problem is not that he sold the rights to a work in progress. The problem was that he had 5 years to catch up but he didn't. 

Let's call a spade a spade: he sold out. For a whole lot of HBO money. And who am I kidding, I would've done the same. But I sure as hell would've tried my darnest to finish my series before other people get to tell a butchered ending to my story. 

And here's the part when you say, "Yeah, right, talk when you're a bestselling author. What makes you think you could've finished the series in 5-7 years?"

Well, it's simple: I'm a selfish asshole and I don't like to share. You know the annoying person in a group project who wants to do everything himself and doesn't let anyone else participate? That's me. You can bet your ass I wouldn't have let a couple of yahoos with Troy and Wolverine to their name tell the ending of MY story, the one I'd been working on almost daily for more than twenty years. 

No. The problem is not that he sold the rights to a work in progress. The problem was that he had 5 years to catch up but he didn't. 

Let's call a spade a spade: he sold out. For a whole lot of HBO money. And who am I kidding, I would've done the same. But I sure as hell would've tried my darnest to finish my series before other people get to tell a butchered ending to my story. 

And here's the part when you say, "Yeah, right, talk when you're a bestselling author. What makes you think you could've finished the series in 5-7 years?"

Well, it's simple: I'm a selfish asshole and I don't like to share. You know the annoying person in a group project who wants to do everything himself and doesn't let anyone else participate? That's me. You can bet your ass I wouldn't have let a couple of yahoos with Troy and Wolverine to their name tell the ending of MY story, the one I'd been working on almost daily for more than twenty years. 

To be honest, the deal was made in 2007. He had 9 years to finish 3 books.

Just now, farerb said:

To be honest, the deal was made in 2007. He had 9 years to finish 3 books.

See, I wasn't even counting Dance. That's just...I don't know, man. GRRM must be a really generous person for getting out of his way to share the credit with Benioff and Weiss. It's almost heartwarming.

9 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

See, I wasn't even counting Dance. That's just...I don't know, man. GRRM must be a really generous person for getting out of his way to share the credit with Benioff and Weiss. It's almost heartwarming.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen a lot of your comments. You really don't like the man do you?

49 minutes ago, House Southwell said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've seen a lot of your comments. You really don't like the man do you?

On the contrary, I'm a huge fan, which is why it really pisses me off and frustrates me to no end that a series with so much potential has gone so terribly off the rails in so many levels. If I didn't like the man or his work I wouldn't even be here and I wouldn't give a damn about the future of the series, trust me. 

The bad choice was the showrunners.

TV adaptation in itself is a good way to make his books famous, which is always nice when you're an author, and to make money, which is always nice period.

Every showrunner would have gotten to the point where they are ahead of his books. This is irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, farerb said:

Every showrunner would have gotten to the point where they are ahead of his books. This is irrelevant.

I'm not talking about being "ahead" of the books. I honestly don't give a fig about being spoiled. The books, unlike the show, aren't just about cheap shocking twists.

I'm talking about the quality of the adaptation, which is abysmal.

GRRM lost his integrity. He sold out his masterpiece series for straight cash. A series that was made popular based on suspense and mystery and unanswered questions. All mystery and suspense was compromised when HBO made him an offer he could not refuse (not sure I would). He accepted the offer to make a tv show that he knew he would not be able to outpace. He therefore accepted the spoiling of his own masterpiece series. For financial gain. Such is how the world works.

I'm not talking about being "ahead" of the books. I honestly don't give a fig about being spoiled. The books, unlike the show, aren't just about cheap shocking twists.

I know that everyone here will find an excuse to call D&D bad, but that is not the topic. The OP talks about if it was right because the show is now ahead of the books, something that would have happened regardless of who are the showrunners. That is why your point is irrelevant and its only porpuse is to make it a rant thread.

23 minutes ago, farerb said:

I know that everyone here will find an excuse to call D&D bad, but that is not the topic. The OP talks about if it was right because the show is now ahead of the books, something that would have happened regardless of who are the showrunners. That is why your point is irrelevant and its only porpuse is to make it a rant thread.

my bad, I thought it was more of a general question that got carried away to the 'passing the books' debate.

So, I'll only repeat that I don't really care about that, and that the show diverged so much from the boooks anyway that we'll probably just have confirmation of what we already suspect (R+L=J, etc..).

Yes, George's writing pace is slow as fuck, but everybody praises here his meticulousness, all the awesome foreshadowing, parallels, character developments, and so on... Well this stuff doesn't write itself, and it takes time and an enormous amount of concentration.

Does he get distracted by side-projects ? Yes, and also, that little thing called life, which is his right. He's also, unfortunately, getting older. Are people going to blame him for that too ?

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

On the contrary, I'm a huge fan, which is why it really pisses me off and frustrates me to no end that a series with so much potential has gone so terribly off the rails in so many levels. If I didn't like the man or his work I wouldn't even be here and I wouldn't give a damn about the future of the series, trust me. 

Okay, I can see where you are coming from. I don't think the series has gone off the rails too badly though. And really only in the case that the show is kinda spoiling the books, which I am doubting may even happen as they are such separate stories.

With how much last season was different from the books that already exist, just imagine how different it is going to be from the book which doesn't even exist yet...

Maybe I'm just to optimistic hehe :)

Archived