Boy removed from school and is under investigation by DHS for repelacing "USA" with "ISIS" in the Pledge of Allegence

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

There was a 10 year old Muslim boy in the UK who got questioned by police last week because he wrote in an assignment that he lived in a terrorist house when he meant to say terraced.

I completely believe that. This police presence in schools led directly to the "Kids for Cash" scandal in Pennsylvania, but lots of people don't understand that outsourcing ordinary discipline to police comes with a high price.

2 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

I completely believe that. This police presence in schools led directly to the "Kids for Cash" scandal in Pennsylvania, but lots of people don't understand that outsourcing ordinary discipline to police comes with a high price.

That's one of the worst things I've ever read.  That's the kind of thing you should be imprisoned for a long, long, time for.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Pah. Growing up in the seventies and eighties was much more frightening.

Heh.   At least there's a slim likelihood you'd be safe in a fallout room.  In the '50s you had to "duck and cover" - like your jacket over your head's gonna help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7FttaTRms

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

That's one of the worst things I've ever read.  That's the kind of thing you should be imprisoned for a long, long, time for.

Some of them were. Ciaveralla was sentenced to 28 years, and Conahan to 17.5. Some would say they should serve that time in Siberia, and I wouldn't argue. The book, Kids for Cash, is a great read, and I highly recommend it. You'll be intrigued, outraged and disgusted, but it's a great read.

There's also a documentary by the same name on Netflix that I think is worth the watch. If I recall correctly, the major difference between the book and the film is that the film spends a lot more focus on the trauma the kids experienced and continue to experience due to the Kids for Cash scheme.  

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

The pledge kind of creeps me out in the first place. Just seems so WEIRD. Sounds like a dumb kid just trying to be edgy. It's not funny but I don't think police should get involved 

Theda,

I'm right there with you and I've heard it my whole life.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

The pledge kind of creeps me out in the first place. Just seems so WEIRD. Sounds like a dumb kid just trying to be edgy. It's not funny but I don't think police should get involved 

The Pledge is bad enough, but the Secret Blood Ceremony is downright diabolical.

:devil: 

On 1/22/2016 at 5:18 PM, sologdin said:

DHS must be having a slow day, because this is very stupid.

Oh my god! Something so dumb has happened that I actually understood sologdin's post about it!!!

Either that or those genius pills I bought from the Nigerian Prince finally started working.

On 1/22/2016 at 0:48 PM, TrackerNeil said:

I don't authorize government action based on what is merely conceivable, because I can conceive of an awful lot of possibilities. I prefer government use its authority to respond to threats that are real and credible, and not just dreamt up by an overactive imagination.

I don't disagree. 

But again. we don't know the circumstances here. 

On 1/22/2016 at 0:50 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Swordfish,

The article states DHS is investigating this incident.

No.  it doesn't.

You're making a lot of leaps based on only a little bit of info in order to be outraged.

On ‎01‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:02 AM, Tears of Lys said:

Make the kid write, "I am NOT funny" 1,000 times.

Now, THAT'S funny. 

Seriously - have the teacher/guidance counselor tell the kid "don't be a dipshit" and move on.  If the child does it again, the message gets harder - does it a third time and get some authority in place to handle whatever the situation deems.

3 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Seriously - have the teacher/guidance counselor tell the kid "don't be a dipshit" and move on.  If the child does it again, the message gets harder - does it a third time and get some authority in place to handle whatever the situation deems.

Bolded for emphasis.

We don't KNOW what the situation called for, because we do not have the details.

How do you know they DIDN'T do all the things you suggest?

If that information is out there, I'd love to see it.

On 22/01/2016 at 7:26 AM, TrackerNeil said:

This is part of a disturbing trend in which police are becoming more routinely involved in what, thirty years ago, would have been left to schools. This "better safe than sorry" attitude is leading to children being involved in the legal system before they're 15, and it's poisonous.

But 50 years ago, if you'd replaced USA with USSR you would have quietly disappeared one night and never been heard from again.

So while anti-communist style paranoia has reappeared in western (not just American) psyche, it is slightly less extreme. You're certainly not going to get McCarthy hearings...or maybe I should wait onbeing quite so certain of that until after Trump becomes president.

Get rid of the damned pledge.

Archived