Boy removed from school and is under investigation by DHS for repelacing "USA" with "ISIS" in the Pledge of Allegence

Ser Scot A Ellison

Here's the story (a somewhat Ironcic one given the thread I just posted on North Korea):

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/student-says-isis-in-pledge-gets-pulled-from-high-school/ar-BBow98s

From the article:

ANSONIA, Conn. — A Connecticut high school student has been pulled out of classes and reported to police for substituting "ISIS" for the "United States of America" during the Pledge of Allegiance.

"ISIS" is a term commonly used for the Islamic State group.

Lt. Andrew Cota says the 15-year-old student at Ansonia High School wasn't charged, but the case was turned over to the Department of Homeland Security. Police say there is no danger to the community. Federal officials declined to comment.

Personally, I think the pledge itself is pretty stupid.  I see it as an unqualified loyalty oath to the Government of the US.  The wrote recitation of the pledge renders the sentiments expressed in it pretty meaningless.  I suspect this kid probably did this as a joke or out of a sense of irony yet look at the reaction.  Good grief.

I am so lucky I am an old fart now. Given my attitudes at 15 years of age, my obstinate, anti-authoritarian streak would have had me on the most wanted list today, rather than just being regarded as an annoyance by most of my teachers.

This is part of a disturbing trend in which police are becoming more routinely involved in what, thirty years ago, would have been left to schools. This "better safe than sorry" attitude is leading to children being involved in the legal system before they're 15, and it's poisonous.

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

One is an organization that asks for unwavering loyalty regardless of right or wrong by means of oaths; makes pleas to religious authority; and provides punitive punishment for dissent......and the other is ISIS.

See, the thing about that formulation is that it implies that ISIS doesn't do those things. So that doesn't work.

46 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Umm guys, this is a pretty standard joke template by the masters (like say Conan O' Brian). If I had said "one is a blah blah blah and the other is .....the Swedish government" it wouldn't be a joke but a statement of truth.

Yeah, I'm familiar with it, I just feel it doesn't work here. But whatever.

38 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

To those fo you who are pbjecting to this, how do you think it should have been handled?

Swordfish,

What needs to "be handled"?  A kid made a sarcastic change to a rote recitation of a meaningless mantra he was mindlessly reciting.  Why is DHS involved?

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Swordfish,

What needs to "be handled"?  A kid made a sarcastic change to a rote recitation of a meaningless mantra they mindlessly recite.  Why is DHS involved?

Because you don't negotiate with tourists.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Swordfish,

What needs to "be handled"?  A kid made a sarcastic change to a rote recitation of a meaningless mantra they mindlessly recite.  Why is DHS involved?

How do you know it was simply a sarcastic comment?

I don't claim to know or understand this kids motivation, but it seems like basically nothing really happened to him other than someone asked him some questions about it.  

Archived