The Fantasy Recommendation Thread

MedievalMan

Since reading Feast, I haven't had much time to put towards reading. Read a few non-fiction since then, kinda want to read a new fantasyish novel.

I'd like something with a twist- like ASOFAI, something more gritty and inspiring, not typical young villager boy turned uber hero fare.

I've already read a lot of fantasy (Jordan, Goodkind, Tad Williams, Roger Zelazny (Amber), Tolkien, etc).

So far I've found:

The Black Company (Glen Cook)

I'd prefer something that isn't part of some mega-sized, unfinished series. ;)

Any suggestions?

-Matt

If you want to read fantasy that's also a serious book, try R.Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. That one is best you can read nowadays, closely followed by Steven Erikson's Malazan books (which are pretty hard to get into, TBH).

I must say that ASOIAF is slightly above, still.

Black Company is cool. Very cool.

MedievalMan

I'd prefer something that isn't part of some mega-sized, unfinished series.

Mult

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch

The Darkness That Comes Before - R. Scott Bakker

Are not these two unfinished? Bakker is a finished trilogy which is a part of a bigger series so it is unfinished. Lynch wrote just one book, are not there more to come in the series?

The Lies of Locke Lamora is a stand-alone book. The characters will go on to have more adventures, but the story that begins on Page 1 is concluded by the final page. Apparently the second book will also be more or less stand-alone, but ongoing story elements will begin to seep in somewhere around Book 3. With the year drawing to a close, I can confidently say it is the best fantasy novel I read released this year (with the caveat that I only read about three or four that came out this year).

Agreed, despite being marketed as a trilogy, Prince of Nothing does have a huge number of unresolved subplots at the end of Book 3, enough to classify it as a seven-volume series rather than three shorter series.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is reasonably close to completion (Book 7 of 10 is out in April), but it's still three years or so until the final book. However, the first three books or so are realtively self-contained before the ongoing storyline elements really start to kick in.

Good, completed series:

The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney (five volumes, starting with Hawkwood's Voyage). Think of GRRM with guns and slightly more cliches as a quick description.

The Fencer Trilogy by KJ Parker (starts with Colours in the Steel). Enjoyable trilogy built around the three standard elements in a fantasy hero's arsenal (sword, bow, armour). Plus after reading it you'll be able to make a suit of full plate and build a working trebuchet. Educational and fun.

The Book of Words Trilogy by JV Jones (starts with The Baker's Boy). There is a sequel series, but this is incomplete and only deals with a few elements from the first series. This series is good, mixing a Gormenghast vibe with the vast castle with some great GRRM-esque humourous dialogue and character interplay.

The Dying Earth by Jack Vance (starts with The Dying Earth; you can get all four books in one volume). Simply magnificent. Cugel is one of the best antiheroes in all of fantasy.

The Lyonesse Trilogy by Jack Vance (starts with Suldrun's Garden, but again you can get all three books in one volume). More traditional fantasy than Dying Earth, but with similar brilliant writing, witty dialogue and excellent characters.

Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott (starts with King's Dragon, consists of seven books). Solid, GRRM-lite medieval fantasy series with some great characters.

The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton (starts with The Reality Dysfunction); an SF series, but one I find goes down very well even with fantasy fans who normally dislike SF. Worth reading just for the Predator-esque jungle battle sequences; worth staying for the sentient space habitats and relentlessly impressive worldbuilding.

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (starts with The Shadow of the Torturer); a somewhat complex literary series, but with some great writing and ideas; you can get the four books in two ominbus editions.

The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake (starts with Titus Groan); along with Tolkien, arguably one of the most influential fantasy stories of all time, available in omnibus.

The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman (graphic novel series, starting with Preludes and Nocturnes and running to ten books).

The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett (self-contained novels set in the same world; the best one to start with is probably Guards! Guards! or Small Gods). Humorous and satirical and informed by a vast number of literary and mythological references.

Single-volume fantasy stories:

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville.

Neverwhere, American Gods and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

The Barbed Coil by JV Jones.

Watchmen and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore.

The Postman and Glory Season by David Brin (SF).

The Prestige, The Extremes and The Separation by Christopher Priest.

Fevre Dream, The Armageddon Rag, Tuf Voyaging, Dying of the Light and Windhaven by George RR Martin.

The Lions of Al-Rassan, Tigana, A Song for Arbonne, The Last Light of the Sun and The Sarantine Mosaic duology by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Sometimes a new fresh thread is more fun than sifting through 30 pages some of which are years old.

is crown of stars any good?

This entire forum isn't even years old. Nothing here is very old at all.

And no, Crown of Stars is not very good.

And I disagree with Mister Manticore -- I enjoyed The Postman very much.

Sometimes a new fresh thread is more fun than sifting through 30 pages some of which are years old.

People's opinions change, so having a new recs thread every now and then is okay by me. Others may disagree. The stickied recs thread should be a first port of call though.

is crown of stars any good?

It's okay, but not spectacular. Elliott has a reasonably good story and tells it well, but the series is overlong at seven volumes (it could have been fitted into four or five) and one of the central characters, Liath, is unbearable, although thankfully she is off-stage a fair bit later in the series.

The Postman is a pretty good post-apocalyptic story and it is thankfully nothing like the movie (literally the movie has one scene in it from the book and very roughly the same premise and that's it). I thought the AI and super-soldiers worked reasonably well in it. Uplift remains Brin's best work though (particularly Startide Rising and The Uplift War).

Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott (starts with King's Dragon, consists of seven books). Solid, GRRM-lite medieval fantasy series with some great characters.

What is your definition of medieval fantasy?

Would you call Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams medieval fantasy?

Which is useless. A list of tens of titles without any discussion is certainly not what the OP was looking for.

Couldn't agree more. No discussion is a good idea, so we don't get sidetracked on whether Thomas Covenant's world is real or not, but having a list of 300 books with no explanations is beyond worthless to anyone. We just need a sticky thread where everybody posts mini-reviews of their favourite books.

What is your definition of medieval fantasy?

Would you call Memory Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams medieval fantasy?

I supposed MST is. However, Crown of Stars can very comfortably called a medieval fantasy because it goes beyond the traditional cliche of being set in a secondary world which is a knock-off of Europe in the Middle Ages, it is actually set in a parallel-history version of Medieval Europe with the map slightly altered. Check it out.

I'd like something with a twist- like ASOFAI, something more gritty and inspiring, not typical young villager boy turned uber hero fare.

Don't know if it's twist like aSoIaF but the Caine Novels by Matthew Woodring Stover are pretty gritty and inspiring.

For more light fare perhaps the Vlad Taltos Novels by Brust.

I supposed MST is. However, Crown of Stars can very comfortably called a medieval fantasy because it goes beyond the traditional cliche of being set in a secondary world which is a knock-off of Europe in the Middle Ages, it is actually set in a parallel-history version of Medieval Europe with the map slightly altered. Check it out.

OK, thanks. Since the series are complete, I think I am going to start collecting it and then read.

Couldn't agree more. No discussion is a good idea, so we don't get sidetracked on whether Thomas Covenant's world is real or not, but having a list of 300 books with no explanations is beyond worthless to anyone. We just need a sticky thread where everybody posts mini-reviews of their favourite books.

Well, there are lots of mini-reviews in the "what are you reading this month" threads.

Also, books that are really popular at present will have their own threads (such as Lies of Locke Lamora) where you can see fairly quickly whether the consensus is yay, or nay. And don't you want to be cool and read what the rest of us are reading anyway? ;)

And although the sticky thread has 300 gazillion books, if the same book is recommended independently by lots of people, chances are it's worth checking out. If you want a capsule summary and capsule reviews, you can go to Amazon.com.

In addition, there are tons of SF review sites one can browse for recommendations, e.g. Jay Tomio's site, fantasybookspot, Inchoatus, sfreviews.net, Stego's site. In fact, it seems half the people in the Literature forums has their own review site.

I have never had any problem finding books to read - the problem is in paring down my list! :|

Hello. This is now the permanant Fantasy Recommendation Thread, for discussion and recs of fantasy works (we have a seperate one for SF: we'll see how much traffic that one gets and possibly amalgamate the two later on if there isn't enough room for both).

Obviously discussion of David Brin should now be taken to the SF thread. This one is for teh fantasy. A few rules: whilst recommending popular authors is fine, in-depth discussion of the merits of say Robert Jordan, Steven Erikson, Scott Lynch or Scott Bakker or other popular authors should be taken to their own non-stickied threads. A brief exchange on how Scott Bakker reminds the reader of Frank Herbert is okay, a five-page deviation of if Bakker or Erikson does magic better would perhaps be done better in its own topic. Let me or another mod know if you think posts should be moved into their own thread or another existing one.

Enjoy!

Finished series in that vein? I second Monarchies of God and would throw in Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series as well.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is good but incomplete. Book 7 (of 10) comes out in April 2007.

Prince of Nothing (trilogy) is complete in itself, but it is also the opening three books of at least a seven-volume series and there are a few cliffhangers and unresolved elements left over. The next series doesn't start for at least a year (in the US and Canada) and not until May 2008 in the UK.

Any hope of deleting the useless posts in this thread now that it's stickied? (Including mine!)

Off the top of my head, some of the best fantasy:

1. Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

2. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

3. The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany

4. War of The Newts by Karel Capek

5. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain

6. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

7. Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

8. Le Morte D'Artur by Thomas Mallory

9. The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

10. the Complete works of H.P. Lovecraft

11. The Chronicles of Nanrnia by C.S. Lewis

12. The complete Conan stories by Robert E. Howard

13. The complete Fafhrd and Grey Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber

14. The complete Dying Earth by Jack Vance

15. Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson

16. The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker

17. The Moon Pool by A. Merritt

18. Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

19. The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle

20. The Once and Future King by T.H. White

21. Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirlees

22. Glory Road by Robert A. Heinlein

23. The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula K. LeGuin

24. The Princess Bride by William Goldman

25. The Dragon Waiting by John M. Ford

26. Replay by Ken Grimwood

27. The Last Hot Time byu John M. Ford

28. Watership Down by Richard Adams

29. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

30. Little, Big by John Crowley

31. The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

32. Perdido Street Station by china Mieville

33. Lamb by Christopher Moore

34. Sandman by Neil Gaiman

35. Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock

36. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

37. Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges

38 The Infernal Desire Machines of Dr. Hoffman by Angela Carter

39. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

40. The Wizard Knight by Gene Wolfe

41. The Riddle-Master Trilogy by Patricia McKillip

42. Silverlock by John Myers Myers

43. The Worm Ourouborous by E.R. Eddison

44. Time and Again by Jack Finney

45. Cities in Flight by James Blish

46 The Time Quartet by Madelaine L'Engle

47. The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

48. Dracula by Bram Stoker

49. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

50. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

51. Ghost Story by Peter Straub

52. Grendel by John Gardner

53. The Land of Laughs by Janathan Carroll

54. The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce

55. Anno-Dracula by Kim Newman

56. The Book of Knights by Yves Meynard

57. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

And I'll cobble this together and try to limit it to 100 entries at some point.

Archived