The Fantasy Recommendation Thread

MedievalMan

Quick question about The Lies of Locke Lamora, which is the true first edition, the US Spectra, or the UK?

The UK version came out 3 1/2 weeks before the US version, but just do what I did and buy both ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Here my rocomendations

Martins Song of fire and ICe obviosly! in my opinion the best fantasy ever, yes better then LOTR!!!

Robin Hobb Farseer, live ship and tawny serises absolutly brilient!! Very deep involved charecters.

Havnt seen J.V Jones mentioned love here Sword of loss series think thats the name starts with cavern of black ice anyways.

Stephen Kings Dark Tower series is the most imaginative series iv read, debatable if its fantasy. IMOP though its fantasy.

If anyone read and loved these books like i have could you rocomend some other books.....grim fantasy like ASOFAI are what i want

At times I am shocked that Lois McMaster Bujold is really a SF writer but she does an excellent GRRM impression.

For anyone who needs something to while away the wait for ADwD try her Chalion Series which is historical fantasy like ASoIaF but set in pre-reconquista Spain rather than England:

The Curse of Chalion

Paladin of Souls

The Hallowed Hunt

Also I would suggest Guy Gavriel Kay's work. He worked with Tolkien's son in editing Tolkien's post-humous work 'The Simarillion'.

His best work to date is his vision of occupied Italy in 'Tigana', though I enjoyed 'A Song for Arbonne' as well.

Other works include his first work was his 'Fionavar Tapestry' trilogy, and he has since written 'Lions of Al-Rassan', his 'Sarantine Mosaic' duology, and his fantasy parallel of the Viking invasion of pre-saxon England in 'Last light of the Sun'.

At times I am shocked that Lois McMaster Bujold is really a SF writer but she does an excellent GRRM impression.

For anyone who needs something to while away the wait for ADwD try her Chalion Series which is historical fantasy like ASoIaF but set in pre-reconquista Spain rather than England:

The Curse of Chalion

Paladin of Souls

The Hallowed Hunt

:agree:

I'd have a hard time picking my favorite out of the three, because they are all very high quality!

:agree:

I'd have a hard time picking my favorite out of the three, because they are all very high quality!

If you hold a gun to my head, I would immediately go with The Curse', but its hard to rank them. Either of the other two could be second. I would lean towards 'Hunt but 'Souls had so many good plot elements to it.

Just a few that have been missed,

(Most of these authors are medium gritty, but one or two are low gritty)

Simon R Green , not as gritty but he is one of the best "idea men" writing atm.

David Gemmel, especially legend, His latest series about troy is being finished by another author due to his death last year.

Jim Butcher, the dresden files, the best Urban fantasy atm imho.

Bernard Cornwell, not fantasy but historic.

Michael Scott Rohan. anvil of ice trilogy

Michael Scott, Tales of the Bard trilogy

Peter Moorwood.

Neil Gaiman. American gods and Anansi boys

Stephen Kings Dark Tower series is the most imaginative series iv read, debatable if its fantasy. IMOP though its fantasy.

I was just about to point this out, but thanks for doing so before me ;)

It is certainly debatable if King's Dark Tower fits entirely into the range of Fantasy as it also has a lot of SF and what I call "indefinite other" qualitties, but it SO does rock and I prefer it above anything else that he's written.

I also missed Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin, but maybe I just didn't look close enough ;)

Just finished Stephen Lawhead's "Hood", the first in a series. Basically a fantasy re-telling of the Robin Hood tale. Plenty of "echos" to keep the story familiar and enough changes and twists to make it fresh. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

was in the book store hoping Dance with Dragons was out or coming soon and happened across the "Prince of Nothing" trilogy by Bakker. It is an excellent series, just finished it today. And while yes, this will continue, it is a complete trilogy. Just excellent, like a bizarre hybrid of Martin and Zelazny with many fresh elements thrown in, I can't recommend it enough.

Other fantasy recommendations....hmm...I don't know of anything that stands up to Martin and Bakker, Zelazny's Amber chronicles should be required reading for fantasy fans as they go in so many different directions and introduce some new concepts.

The Covenent books are hard to stomach because the whining of the main character becomes nearly impossible to stomach, but if you can move past that issue it is really quite good.

Tolkien, of course, but I can't imagine a reader of this thread not having read tokien already.

Dark Tower by King is a brutally flawed work, with some definate highpoints. If you stop after Wizards and Glass you may even be able to recommend it, what happens after is a horrible train wreck.

I finally got through Gardens of the Moon by Erickson, ended up enjoying it, but the deadhouse gates now has had me stalled for 6 months. Desperation may force me to pick it up again.

Can't think of any other good fantasy off the top of my head, got some good sci fi stuff though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Sorry if this is a frequent question, but I was looking over my favorite fantasy authors and I noticed that besides Robin Hobb and JK Rowling, they're all male. Do you guys have any suggestions? The only other ones I've read are Mercedes Lackey and Anne McCaffrey...and uhhh...did not like.

perspicacious, if you want/could tolerate someone uber feminist you could try Sheri Tepper. Ursula LeGuin is also often recommended. They're kind of heady, I can't think of more GRRM-esque names (assuming that's your taste, which is all I can assume) but I don't read much SFF these days. Maybe you can find some names further up this thread?

Archived