Bronn north of the Wall?

Dizzy Walker

Has there been much speculation as to what Bronn was "working" on north of the Wall? In first season episode 9, Bronn admitted to working up there during the drinking game with Shea and Tyrion.

This has stuck in my brain lately and I need help to get unstuck.

Bronn is an excellent unorthodox sellsword fighter who definitely goes where the money is. I am not sure but could he be hired as an assassin as well?

What is above the wall that would need a sellsword for and who would hire him?

I thought there was pretty much wildlings and the Night's Watch, some giants above the wall, not including magical creatures.....

Do Wildlings hire sellswords? I could be very wrong on this, but I didn't get the impression that they normally would hire southerners to get involved in their battles, and they would not have much to pay them with anyway.   I don't remember a reference to the Night's watch hiring people...

So ...if it wasn't either one of them, then it was someone south of the wall or from another country that hired him to go North of the Wall.

But why? There isn't too much above the wall, most people, except for the Starks, don't think much about what is above the wall. Who or what would be  important enough that would be worth hiring a sellsword, possibly assassin for....

North of the Wall, there is Mance and the only other important person would have been Benjen that I can think of. Since Mance didn't have much befall him before the beginning of the show I don't think it was him....Benjen being from the Stark family is the only other person that someone might want out of the picture for some reason like revenge or from interfering with some plot. Being in the Night Watch he is out of the Stark succession... or was it to protect a group from the south while they tried to retrieve something...? 

What else would be worth sending someone out there?

I do not have any theories, just wondering...

What if you are seing things from oposite direction? You say he is a sellsword who went on a mission beyond the Wall, I say he is a wildling who escaped lands beyond the Wall and since he doesnt know how to farm or trade or be a blacksmith, he decided to do only thing he is good at, killing.

He could be a wildling, but I always think of his style as more big city back alley, then in wilderness survival mode,  and I would think he would drop a line here and there about the weird crap that goes on up there in the form of "I heard this" or "I know a guy that saw.." if he did, I don't remember them off hand.

he could have been in the Nights watch, but if he was a deserter, you would think he would keep a little lower profile then to be the right hand man in the service of Tyrion, who is a notorious member (the Imp) of a extremely well know family, not to mention being a Hand of the King. With death on the line, I would think he would be smarter then to be on the edge of a spot light.

he could have been hired by a North Lord to round up some raiders. But do you see men like the Karstarks paying good money to follow after a ragtag group of Wildlings into their turf above the Wall? Even the Nights Watch rangers with hundreds or thousands of years of knowledge and training behind them don't do this very lightly. I could see them hiring sellswords to fortify their borders but to go beyond? It would be risky and the mostly throwing good money away when the sellswords don't come back. Do you ever hear of the North lords raiding the Wildlings? Not much there and I doubt wildlings would make very good slaves to sell. 

I am just stuck in the idea, that people do not go beyond the Wall for any reason except for the Night Watch....who would be the exceptions?    

11 minutes ago, Dizzy Walker said:

he could have been hired by a North Lord to round up some raiders. But do you see men like the Karstarks paying good money to follow after a ragtag group of Wildlings into their turf above the Wall? Even the Nights Watch rangers with hundreds or thousands of years of knowledge and training behind them don't do this very lightly. I could see them hiring sellswords to fortify their borders but to go beyond? It would be risky and the mostly throwing good money away when the sellswords don't come back. Do you ever hear of the North lords raiding the Wildlings? Not much there and I doubt wildlings would make very good slaves to sell. 

I am just stuck in the idea, that people do not go beyond the Wall for any reason except for the Night Watch....who would be the exceptions?    

The only reason that a Northern Lord would throw good money after bad wildlings would be for a personal vendetta.  Let's say his daughter was raped and murdered by wildling raiders and he wants vengeance, for example.  Otherwise, yeah, it's hard to think of a reason to justify Bronn's adventure beyond the Wall.

Thanks Bong of I&F

I guess I was trying to think of any kind of event that might have taking place above the wall, that might tie into Bronn being up there.

Trying to read too much into it and failing...I have been told by a friend that he thinks Bronn lied about it, so it's probably nothing....

Is it possible that he could be made to take the black

Cersei is going to be pissed when she finds out about myrcella

I could see her taking it out on whoever happens to be in her sights and if she knows Bronn accompanied Jamie she'd probably hold him partly responsible, because, cersei logic

I can't remember, did Bronn say he had been north of the Wall in the books or was it just the show?

I don't think so, the scene where Tyrion, Bronn, and Shae play the Truth and Tyrion Drinks game is not in the books. I believe it was to reveal Tyrion's story about his wife since they changed it up from the books. Originally Tyrion told his Wife/Jamie story to Bronn when they were traveling away from the Eyrie right before they met up with the hill tribes. But I don't think he says it anywhere else, at least that I remember.

Is it possible that he could be made to take the black

Cersei is going to be pissed when she finds out about myrcella

I could see her taking it out on whoever happens to be in her sights and if she knows Bronn accompanied Jamie she'd probably hold him partly responsible, because, cersei logic

If Myrcella is dead, ( I am holding out that someone on the boat has the same instant working antidote they gave Bronn),  Cersei definitely could send Bronn to the Wall. With dear Dad gone, no Tyrion, her son, the King hiding in his room, not too many people to stop her from doing as she likes. 

I could see Jamie sticking up for Bronn, That is if Cersei would listen to him. If  Myrcella is dead, I think Cersei would lash out, probably at Jamie most of all.  Listening and thinking would not be her priority. Bronn would be one lucky bastard to ONLY get sent to the wall.  

It's possible Cersei could sic her new undead man toy on Bronn if she gets mad enough. That could be in interesting fight, It might be a good way to get a peek at what Strong's capabilities are before the theoretical (cross your fingers) Cleganebowl were to happen ( oh, pretty please)..if the show goes in that direction at all....

My memory is terrible. I don't recall his mention of working up north of the wall but now that you've brought it up I'm curious to see if we'll ever learn more about Bronn's background. He's one of the more compelling secondary characters on the show and I'd love to learn more of his backstory.

• 5 months later...

It was a pretty stupid thing to add in the show. I don't care how much of a badass, adventurer, sellsword, go-where-the-money-takes-you type Bronn may be, if you were to take every other wonderer in the seven kingdoms and seek out how many of them had ever crossed north of the wall, you'd get maybe 1 in every 85 or so (if that). Its just too random. For Tyrion to ask 1 random guy this pretty random question and Bronn answers yes? My guess? The writers probably weren't yet geographically familiarized enough with the fantasy land of Westeros to see how staggeringly improbable this would be.

In the books I believe it is mentioned that there are smugglers who trade weapons to the the Wildlings, and the NW try to stop them.  So my guess was always some smuggler hired him, and other sell swords, as "security" from the NW and betrayal by the Wildlings.  

Archived