The Eyrie is the Castle 'Made of Snow'

Hos the Hostage

So I was re-reading the Mystery Knight, and saw this conversation.

Fiddler: "It almost looks as if it's made of snow."

Dunk: "What is made of snow?"

Fiddler: "The castle. All of that white stone in the moonlight."

The castle mentioned above is Whitewalls, the seat of House Butterwell, and it was destroyed before the events of ASOIAF. As far as I recall, the only other castle with such white walls is the Eyrie. While there are are several theories about the when, where and whom of Sansa slaying a giant in a castle made of snow, I think the castle not being actually made of snow( toy castle in AFFC), or even covered in snow (Winterfell) will be consistent with the cryptic nature of the other prophecies made by the Ghost of the High Heart. In the Mystery Knight, the Fiddler also have prophetic dreams. He says "I dreamed it. This pale white castle, you, a dragon bursting from an egg,..". When he see the castle, he says it looks like it's made of snow. What if the GotHH actually saw a pale white castle in the moonlight, and thought it was made of snow? For one thing, the Fiddler has much clearer dreams than the GotHH. Maybe Martin added that snowcastle scene to have double layered meanings to the prophesy.

Problem is, Sansa have left the Eyrie, and it looks like she will be spending a while in the Gates of the Moon.

This is interesting, because usually in the world of GRRM the prophecies don't make sense to us, like all those things Dany heard from Quaithe and HoTU. That being said, I think the only prophecies that made sense and we actually read happening are those from the GOHH, like the maid with serpents on her hair with venon, of course it meant the hairnet Sansa wear at Joffrey's wedding, and like you said, she already left the Eyrie.

Several of the descriptions regarding Whitewalls and Eyrie are similar. Whitewalls is made of golden veined marble brought from the Vale, while the Eyrie is made of blue veined marble brought from Tarth. They both have weirwood elements in their design. Whitewalls was built out of vanity. The Arryns wished not just to built a castle on a mountain for protection, but wanted it to rival in beauty of other renowned castles, so there's vanity as well. Heck, they didn't even think the Vale marble was good enough, and why Tarth marble was brought in (and imagine that marble having to be carried onto that dangerous path to a sickening height). And of course it is so high that there's a noticeable change in the amount of oxygen in the air as described by Cat arriving there. It's as if they're trying to aim as high as the gods.

Whitewalls was taken down stone by stone and the soil around it salted, making it infertile for generations. The Eyrie will be no more either, very soon imo. However I thinkt he destruction of the Arryn houses will extend beyond that of the Eyrie, but also includes the Gates of the Moon and the Bloody Gate.

For example remember the passage where Sansa peers down onto the Gates of the Moon, it not looking bigger than the size of a child's toy castle, and the people like ants you can "crush" and step on. Meawhile SR who has the size of a mountain-giant to the snow castle Sansa built starts to have a 'shaking fit' and 'collapses' onto her castle (scaled to the size of a doll) and basically destroys it. And then we have the doll deliberately knocking down the guardhouse and towers, and Lysa declaring several times that the Bloody Gate NEVER has been conquered. And since when have Lysa's predictions ever come true? Tyrion was going to break; Tyrion was never going to win; LF would deal with the Vale mountain clans; they are safe... Lysa is full of hubris.

And then we have the falcon and flying allusions. Which myth do you think of when you combine "flying" and hubris? Icarus who flies so high and too close to the sun, that it melts the wax that keep his feathered wings together and he plumets down to his death. "Pride goes before a fall".

More to the point Sansa, on leaving the Eyrie for the final time with winter coming, looks back on it and calls it a castle made of snow. But the Ghost talks in riddles and metaphor so the castle made of snow would seem to be to be figurative (like purple serpents in the maids hair). So the Eyrie would be uncharacteristically literal for the Ghosts' prophecies so I doubt she was referring to it.

Archived