Survivor: Kaôh Regōng Trail

Scrambled Aegon

8 hours ago, Scrambled Aegon said:

The cast bios are up, so the pre-show-ing is on and I figure it is time for another thread!

Haven't looked over all of them myself yet, but from what I know I already like Scot, Michele, Tai, and Joe, and Caleb can fuck right off on every single level.

Haha, yeah, I would have been very happy to never see Caleb on my TV again after watching him on Big Brother, dude is a massive tool.

It seems like a solid cast, though I'm not wild about the tribal makeup thing, just seems silly (especially since basically everyone is rather attractive). Now lets see if I can avoid losing interest midway through the season like I almost always do.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got around to watching all the cast videos! My thoughts on everyone:

Beauty

Anna - I don't really remember who she is. I'll have to go back and check out her video again to see if I'm forgetting anything worthwhile, since I don't like just forgetting a contestant, but she made a pretty minimal impression on me.

Julia - Adorable. Seems like a lesser Angie from Philippines. Probably not going to go far, definitely going to be really likable.

Michele - My dark horse pick to be a breakout character and possibly win. She gives me the vibes of a cross between Sophie/Kim - I think she'll rope in and read people really similarly to Kim, but have more of the color as a character and mild awkwardness of Sophie. As a big Springsteen fan I also love that we have someone from Freehold, NJ. I'm definitely rooting hard for her. She's more of a gamble than some others in the cast (like, it's obvious Darnell and Tai will be great), but I have high hopes.

Nick - Small chance of him being a fun douche, large chance of him being an annoying douche. Seems destined to be the second/third juror or so.

Tai - Self-explanatory. What do you even say about Tai? But my god he's an absolute delight to watch and a wonderfully unique casting choice. I'm thrilled to watch him. I can't imagine him lasting more than ~3 episodes, but he'll be amazing in those episodes, and if he does somehow go far or even win, that'd be magical.

Caleb - Disgusting sexist Islamophobic racist stalker. You'd think being a former Big Brother contestant who obnoxiously calls himself "beast mode cowboy" (last time I'm ever typing that god-awful cringe of a nickname) would be the worst thing, but he's actually fucking horrible. Really, really hope he's out very, very early like Ben or Shannon.

Uncle Spliffy

Alecia - Seems likable and on a meta level it's funny how fucking generic she is. She managed to drop the "I'm a tomboy!" shtick, "I'm going to Make Big Moves!", and even "I'm not here to make friends!" in the span of one short video. I seriously think she was bred in a lab to be an agreeable but forgettable reality TV contestant.

Cydney - Like 95% of her seems fun - witty, competitive, "alter egos" - but the other 5% is sexist as hell, so hopefully she doesn't become too big a force in the season and the former is what we see more of.

Darnell Hamilton - Awesome awesome awesome awesome casting choice. Shades of Sabrina/Sean in his background, which is excellent, and he's witty as hell. He had so many great lines in his short video alone. I could see him being judged unfairly by his tribemates and going out early, but I really, really hope he goes far. I have a hard time imagining him winning the whole season but it would be one of the best Survivor stories in a really long time if he did, and he's going to be fun as hell for however much and however long we see him.

Jennifer - Generally dynamic and likable person. I'm not sure how to peg her yet and other people shined in clearer ways, but I'm happy she's in the cast and interested in seeing what she'll bring to the table. My gut says she'll place mid-jury.

Kyle - Bleh. Video was uninteresting, the bio about wanting to be Russell Hantz because he's "the only person who played the game how it should be played" was gross. Uninteresting toolish waste of space who I hope goes out very early.

Scot - I hope he doesn't get an unnecessarily inflated edit for being an athlete, because I think he'd make a good supporting character. He seems pretty one-note, but it's a sort of fun and interesting note that he plays well. If he gets a massive edit and gets called by his last name by Probst, that'll get annoying, but if he just hangs out in the background, I'm excited for him. My gut says he'll come in 8th place and be the only jury vote for Debbie to win.

Voltaire

Aubry - She looks interesting and I think I'd get along with her in person, so I was excited at first, but I don't think she'll be too interesting a character on TV. I hope she proves me wrong.

Debbie - So based on Debbie's demographic, I guess she's destined to be our runner-up. She's definitely a wicked fun casting choice. Lots of witty and colorful stuff all over her bio and has a fucking tiger swimsuit. Definitely going to be a fun and memorable character and a very safe bet to go far and be a major one.

Joe - How fucking awesome is it that he's here? He seems likable on his own, too, and he's super fun and adorable on Twitter. But his age alone makes him a great casting choice and his background makes him an excellent one. I can't imagine not rooting for Joe going into this season - even if he's not your favorite (he's not mine), just as someone likable who's a big underdog, unique casting choice for recent years, and hopefully sticks around longer than he might be expected to.

Liz - Strikes me as a possibly tryhard gamebot, or possibly as an interesting player. Don't really know which. I hope it's the latter because the potential for a super interesting character is there, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's just annoying or falls flat.

Neal - Neal is a fucking great narrator. He's just awesome at talking to the camera and phrasing things in an interesting way that keeps me hanging on whatever he's saying. And he has pants with ice cream on them and just looks so distinctive... definitely going to be a big, fun character and likable guy. I think there's some chance of him absorbing too much air time as a producer pet, but I hope that that doesn't happen.

Peter - Peter is an adorable and harmless Hoppip of a man whose many smiles will be massively appreciated <3

I agree that the tribe division is silly, even more here than in Cagayan, but if it isn't jammed down our throats, I'm fine with it. The cast themselves seem strong, and that's the important part.

Ranking, tagged only to prevent this from taking up too much space; it has nothing to do with spoilers and is just a list of names:

1. Tai

2. Michele

3. Darnell

4. Debbie

5. Joe

6. Neal

7. Peter

8. Scot

9. Jennifer

10. Julia

11. Aubry

12. Alecia

13. Liz

14. Anna

15. Cydney

16. Nick

17. Kyle

18. no

5 hours ago, Scrambled Aegon said:

Caleb - Disgusting sexist Islamophobic racist stalker. You'd think being a former Big Brother contestant who obnoxiously calls himself "beast mode cowboy" (last time I'm ever typing that god-awful cringe of a nickname) would be the worst thing, but he's actually fucking horrible. Really, really hope he's out very, very early like Ben or Shannon.

I don't think he will be out early.  Why? Cause he was on Big Brother and everyone will know that he is an idiot, but also an extremely loyal idiot.  He will get backstabbed, if his side is in the majority then I'd say at 7 or 5.  Hell they might even bring him to the end as he will have 0 chance at winning and yet still be exceedingly loyal.

On 5.2.2016 at 8:31 PM, Scrambled Aegon said:

Yeah, I fear you may be right. I really hope not, though.

edit: Well, turns out Caleb isn't the worst person ever to be cast on Survivor anymore. Mike Skupin has gone from Wacky Cartoon Character to disgusting child abuser. Fuck him.

wow, wth, so that is what Rob Cesternino was referring to in one of his recent podcasts, that's disgusting.

About this upcoming season. This season is going to suck. That's what the preview at the second chance finale told us. They learned their lesson from Worlds Apart, and instead of hyping the season up so everyone will be disappointed, they basically said: "Yeah, this is going to suck and there will be lots and lots of medevacs." I appreciate the honesty there, this was basically the only way to market a season like this. There is no way it will live up to the levels of last season anyway.

The cast was really uninteresting, but on the other hand, I thought that about the Cagayan cast as well (and probably about any cast when I first saw it), and then the premier happened. It's actually been a couple of weeks since I watched the videos, but here are my thoughts on these people:

Beauties

Anna (a.k.a. Morgan): Will be an early boot, she just doesn't seem like the kind of person that will fit in.

Julia (a.k.a. Jefra): Very young. I think she'll go far.

Michele (a.k.a. Alexis): I don't even remember her, I must've watched her video, but I've completely forgotten everything about her.

Nick (a.k.a. Jeremiah): What a douche.

Tai (a.k.a. Brice): Meh. He'll be pre-merge or the kind of contestant that the casuals will really like, I don't see much in terms of strategy though.

Caleb (a.k.a. LJ): Will be out right after the merge. I actually think he's better suited for Survivor than Big Brother, but come on. It's Caleb. He'll be the Abi of this season, an entertaining villain who is easily manipulated and doesn't really understand what is going on. I am not as sick of him as other people, but I still wish he wasn't here because he's a lousy representative of a lousy season of Big Brother. Why didn't they put Dan Ghysling out here or someone like that?

Brawns

Alecia (a.k.a. Sarah): Hm, I don't remember her either. I think I remember not liking her, though.

Cydney (a.k.a. Trisha): She'll be very annoying and I don't see her getting past the merge.

Darnell Hamilton (a.k.a. Woooo): He's fine. Kind of like Mike in Worlds Apart in that I feel completely neutral about him, but I could see him do well and maybe win.

Jennifer (a.k.a. Lindsey): I have this very weird feeling that she'll be one of the medevacs, but I really don't know why. I like her, but she's not suited for this game.

Kyle (a.k.a. Tony): He seems interesting. I think his take on Russell Hantz is laughable. He actually is my pre-season winner pick. One of the reasons is because I think the "My shoulders are destroyed" comment from the preview is a red herring, and they put that in to distract people from the fact that he'll win. And I just think he has that sort of killer instinct it takes to win.

Scot (a.k.a. Uncle Cliffy): I'm European, so I have no idea who this guy is. I think there's two kinds of professional athletes on Survivor, the ones who actually get the game (Gary Hogeboom, Jeff Kent) and the ones who don't get the game at all (Uncle Cliffy, Brad Culpepper). I think he gets it, and he'll be interesting to watch, I guess he won't go much further than the merge because he's a physical threat.

Brains

Aubry (a.k.a. Tasha): I could see her win. I kind of like her.

Debbie (a.k.a. Kass): She'll be one of the standouts this season, she describes herself as a female Coach and I think she'll be fun and go to about 5th place or around that.

Joe (a.k.a. Spencer in 50 years or so): He's 72 and looks like Tom Westman. I want to look like that when I'm 72. He could do really well. I could see him win.

Liz (a.k.a. J'tia): She will completely overplay and crash and burn.

Neal (a.k.a Garrett): If his personality were an ice-cream flavor, it would be vanilla.

Peter (a.k.a. David Samson): Barack Obama wants his face back. He will do well and be mid-jury.

Now to my biggest issue with this cast. Cagayan was great. I think CBS wanted to recapture the magic of that season by casting very similar people that can be mapped one by one. I tried to do it above, and in the Beauty and Brawn tribes it was especially easy. Everyone is a slightly more boring, slightly blander, and overall slightly less interesting and more dislikable version of an already existing contestant from an already existing season. Part of why Kyle is my pick is because he's in the Tony spot.

Taking all this into account, from my perspective, the chances of winning for each contestant are as follows:

Kyle (22%)

Joe (20%)

Darnell (18%)

Aubry (12%)

Debbie (10%)

Peter (8%)

Liz (3.5%)

Julia (2.5%)

Tai (2%)

Cydney (1%)

Jennifer (0.9%)

Neal (0.1%)

I think that adds up to 100, at least I hope so.

-----------

Michele, Alecia, Anna, Scot, Nick and Caleb have 0 chance of winning this game.

I need to rewatch to get these people straight in my mind because I don't remember Michelle. I only casually follow pre-show videos and assessments, but I do know that the Darnell love was strong. I'm wondering if this might be something that would push Survivor to do a first-boot season. I know that usually the first boots are voted out for a reason, but casting saw potential in them and there is a lot of luck involved in the first few days. If you expand the parameters to first boots from each tribe per season, they might have a wide enough pool to choose from to get a dynamic cast and not just a bunch of social misfits and weak links. The ultimate second-chance. Then again, I might be wrong.

I think Debbie would drive me a little crazy. And ew - ear worm. That's rough.

I am actually pleasantly surprised by this year's premiere. I was expecting a fairly boring cast and a bad season that prompted CBS to do the Second Chance season, but this actually was rather good. I think it is easily within the top half of the entire series premieres.. We have interesting characters all the way around, and the potential for conflict. It also looks like there are some people there ready to play the game.

Count me on team Aubry so far...

It was an ok premiere, I thought they made the wrong choice in who to send home, seems to be a waste of a vote when the other person seemed so clearly weaker (and more annoying). Over all, I don't really hate anyone, outside of Caleb, I wouldn't be sad if a bug crawled in his ear and burrowed into his brain (unfortunetly, the poor thing would starve), the term "Beastmode Cowboy" makes me want to hit him with a car. Tai seems pretty fun, and entertaining.

We'll have to wait and see if I end up getting bored and stop watching half way through like usual.

Whelp, I guess I'm back in on Survivor.  I sat out the last two seasons, but this premier captured my interest.  Sounds like I missed a good show last season.

It was pretty shitty to vote out who they did first, though.  And what was up with the chick who seemed to support the boot-ee, only to have written their name down?  What a hypocrite. 

This was one of the less interesting premiers in recent memory, imo.

The ear bug was disgusting. The conditions seem to be really bad, as predicted, but shouldn't you be smart enough to not go from Chicago straight to a tropical island? Couldn't you maybe stay in Florida for two weeks before going out there, to acclimate? I mean, that's what professional athletes do.

I actually don't think the Darnell-choice was as bad for everybody. First of, if they loose again, Alecia is clearly next to go, so everyone still has another target in front of them. Second, this was really good for Scot and Kyle in the short term, since they are now the biggest challange assets and probably safe until the swap. Ironically, Kyle voted for Alecia at first.

Contestants who made the strongest impressions on me:

Tai is just glorious. I don't even know what I'm supposed to think about him, but I know I love him. Whenever he says or does anything, I'm entertained. His massive visibility has me scared that he'll go out early, but it should be a wild ride regardless for however long it lasts. <3

- Pretty much impossible not to be rooting for Aubry's success. Painfully easy to relate to her, "I wish you guys got to meet me at home" is one of the saddest things heard on this show in a long time, loved that she got to turn it around and I hope she stays in a better spot.

Alecia is fucking great. She means well and she's adorable, but then she also tries to write with a closed pen. No way she lasts but I hope the rest of the tribe implodes hard enough that she, a la Dan Lembo, continues surviving weeks longer than there's any reason for her to, to the ire of millions. <3

- I don't know what to make of Jennifer but I know I like her. It's really hard to peg what role she's meant to fit into with this cast, but something about her just comes off likable.

- I could really do without Jason. And Nick - Nick feels so damn polished and scripted in everything he says.

Have smaller opinions on the others which I'll get into after a rewatch solidifies them. I was pumped for this season with the cast and the apparently brutal, brutal location, and so far, it's totally living up to my hopes on both fronts. Really liking this group and the brutality of this premiere was magnificent. The bug in Jennifer's ear was so unbelievably fucking hard to watch, magnificent TV. And they're already setting up medevacs with the heat. This cast is so good I forget that that's also a factor and I can't wait to see what happens there.

I had no idea who the fuck was going - but I understood why it'd be either of them. So it was unpredictable, but not convoluted or confusing. Really excellently set up TC. And I would never, ever have bet that they were the ones going to TC. With that and all the fun contestants and brutal nature shit, this is my favorite premiere since Cagayan, and that one barely counts since it was two episodes. Going back further than that, it's my favorite since Philippines or maybe even earlier. Darnell is one of the better first boots - as a casting choice I wish had gone further, probably the best, and as far as the content we got, he's no Tina Scheer or Zane or Wendy, but he's gotta be in the top half at least. I especially just wish we'd seen more of him, though, and he is the biggest argument yet for a season of pre-mergers. If Kelley Wentworth is suddenly a thing, I don't think it's out of the question.

Michele is definitely the frontrunner. Even based just on the episode and not my pre-show thoughts, she easily had the strongest edit this week. They show her making what looks to us like the first alliance, that's big - and then she also gets to comment unnecessarily on Tai. She's not some definite 50000% lock like Cochran in Caramoan, obviously - way, way too early for anything like that - but she had the strongest episode this week, and I'm very happy about that. Jason could be getting a Tony-esque edit, though; nobody else stands out in a positive way, though Nick/Tai/Debbie/Alecia stand out on the opposite end and are already basically dead.

It's way too early for me to pick sides and people so my thoughts are just first blush.

Brawn

Blondie was judged before she ever did anything, almost as soon as they hit the beach. "shes a real estate person, what can she do"   She specifically said before the challenge started that she wasn't good with puzzles and muscle girl basically told her to shut up and move. She likely is the next one out for that team but she really had little to no chance.  As to Darnell, I was shocked they voted him after brawn was beaten in the physical part of a challenge. Yeah he messed up, and anyone should know that the face mask would come off, but I am still surprised they didn't keep him for challenges.

Brains

Not too smart. They complain about the heat and such and yet they were sitting in the sun working. Most dumb people and even animals I know are smart enough to work in the shade when it's that hot.

Beauty

Seem pretty athletic for a beauty group. Is the Vietnamese guy a plant? I mean, how does he fit in the "beauty" tribe? I really like him and am afraid he screwed himself by searching for the idol and getting caught.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

It's way too early for me to pick sides and people so my thoughts are just first blush.

Brawn

Blondie was judged before she ever did anything, almost as soon as they hit the beach. "shes a real estate person, what can she do"   She specifically said before the challenge started that she wasn't good with puzzles and muscle girl basically told her to shut up and move. She likely is the next one out for that team but she really had little to no chance.  As to Darnell, I was shocked they voted him after brawn was beaten in the physical part of a challenge. Yeah he messed up, and anyone should know that the face mask would come off, but I am still surprised they didn't keep him for challenges.

Brains

Not too smart. They complain about the heat and such and yet they were sitting in the sun working. Most dumb people and even animals I know are smart enough to work in the shade when it's that hot.

Beauty

Seem pretty athletic for a beauty group. Is the Vietnamese guy a plant? I mean, how does he fit in the "beauty" tribe? I really like him and am afraid he screwed himself by searching for the idol and getting caught.

Tai is on the beauty team because he is objectively adorable.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Nick is going to be medevaced? We really didn't see a lot of him and he was completely ignored in the strategical conversations on that tribe. We saw the beginning of an alliance between the three women and Caleb, while Tai seems to be their target, but there was hardly any mention of Nick. This kind of reminds me of the Tocantins-Joe edit.

18 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Tai is on the beauty team because he is objectively adorable.

No argument from me on that. Best personality of anyone on this season so far. But, would they put a book wise dumb person on the brains tribe because they have street smarts?

Archived