Watch, Watched, Watching: The Director's Cut

RedEyedGhost

I recently saw Macbeth and The Revenant. I already made a pretty huge post about those two movies in The Best Films of 2015 thread, but just as a short recap, I really enjoyed Macbeth (eventhough it had it's flaws). The Revenant I thought was pretty cliched. Definitely an okay film, I'm glad I saw it in the theatre, but it was more than a little bit empty imo.

3 hours ago, Grand Maester Mithrandir said:

Watched The Revenant today. Good movie, however they missed an opportunity to tell an even better story.

Also, this is the performance Leo is finally gonna get an Oscar for? Really? Give me a break.

Amen to both you're points.

On 27-1-2016 at 9:20 PM, Mexal said:

Oh man. Don't get him started. 

Hidden Content

Some slight corrections:

Spoiler

The movie didn't ruin Edgerton for me. I had never seen him in anything before this. It just made me so mad I had to blame someone, so I chose the bad actor portraying the bad character. 

Also, big oversimplification about my issues with the very false and pedestrian ending (yeah, irresponsible American family man wins because a family man always wins, because this is America and America is built on families and irresponsible spending fuck yeah!), to what up to that point was a very unconventional movie with a very unconventional character as its beating heart. Do you know how rare it is to see a character like Tommy at the hart of a mainstream film? It's almost as rare as Attack the Block's Moses, with the difference that Attack the Block actually respected its main character instead of shitting all over him. 

Tried watching The Magicians and simply, it was rather dull. No enjoyment there...

3 hours ago, Grand Maester Mithrandir said:

Also, this is the performance Leo is finally gonna get an Oscar for? Really? Give me a break.

Well, the Internet whined about Leo for years. The best part is that people somehow forget that he was never best in his category. 

Foxx in 2004, Whitaker in 2006, McConnaughey in 2013... You may have preferred him in some other roles and he may have got few nominations more, but overall, he still wasn't in position of getting it.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Re-watched Reservoir Dogs because I couldn't sleep. Goddamn this film is awesome. I'd say it has fewer epic, holy-shit-what-just-happened moments than Pulp Fiction, but I think it has more sustained drama. Think I am finally starting to learn who is who, so that's good. 

Those two are basically tied as my favorite Tarantino films. If I'm forced to pick one I'd probably have to go with Pulp Fiction, but Dogs is such a great movie.

Meeting Michael Madsen (Vic Vega aka Mr. Blonde) at a con a few years ago was a huge deal to me. He was cool as shit too. 

7 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Anyone watching Freeform's Shadowhunters?

Me lol. On netflix. Cheesy as. But the leads are cute, it has some neat music and it's easy to watch :P and I read he first book of this series awhile back. Clary's wig is kinda funny tho. 

Watched Let's Be Cops because I'm a New Girl fan.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a total waste of time, because Jake Johnson is just funny no matter how crappy the movie/show around him is, but it's sure as hell no New Girl.

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I love this movie so much.

Yeah it's good. I thought it had more elements of horror, but it really didn't. But then again I've only been truely scared by two movies; IT and Jaws.

*Shudders*

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah it's good. I thought it had more elements of horror, but it really didn't. But then again I've only been truely scared by two movies; IT and Jaws.

*Shudders*

I only saw Jaws for the first time a few months back ! Brilliant....

I think the scariest film for me was maybe Blair Witch Project ONLY BECAUSE my mates and I hyped it up so much before watching it that we were legit on edge the whole time and we were in my mates living room all huddled up and then a tree or something scratched on the window LOL. 

And then...*shuder* REC...ahhhh the end of Rec still haunts me...hahahaha

I watched John Wick, which I thought was a fun action film. It seems like it is now compulsory for every ageing film star to do a Taken-style film where they're forced to come out of retirement to wreak vengeance on some villains and the quality of those films is a bit variable, but this is one of the better ones and Keanu does a good job in the lead role. I did like the hotel/safe-house for professional killers, although Ian McShane was maybe a bit underused.

Watched Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance from Chan-wook Park's Vengeance Trilogy (I've seen Oldboy already) last night. Really liked both of them. Especially Lady Vengeance. They're both brutal as hell, and well acted. I particularly liked the lead actress in Lady Vengeance. Oldboy is still the best one though imo. The only other thing I've seen by this director is Stoker, which I also liked. Will have to check out more of his stuff. 

Archived