Watch, Watched, Watching: The Director's Cut

RedEyedGhost

45 minutes ago, dbunting said:

This is messed up. I was going to type basically the same thing. I watched it Monday because I was bored and my daughter said it was a quick movie. It was dumb and yet I kept watching until the end! I kept wanting to click on the screen and move things around. For a while I was confused and thought the fat kid was the one they were trying to get out of the group call.

VINDICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, everyone who posts here regularly, please watch Unfriended. I want to see if you have the same reaction.

It's a terrible movie, but you can't stop watching it.

I watched Unfriended before too and I've seen much worse...like The Last Witch Hunter. Holy shit that was horrible. I thought it might be so bad it's good, but it wasn't. An unsurprising total waste of time. 

I'm into season 2 of It's Always Sunny and I just watched the "Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom" episode and it was the best yet. It's really hitting its stride now.

I swear I've heard a podcast interview with Lindelhof himself saying they struggled to keep the quality up in the first part of S3, but when a show starts as strong as Lost did you can hardly blame it if it does dip at some point.

I watched My Old Lady mostly because I like Kevin Kline a lot and have a crush on Kristen Scott Thomas, and with Maggie Smith rounding out the main threesome you'd think it couldn't go wrong, but it never really does justice to the reputations of those stars. Part of the problem is Kline's character in this is kind of an unengaging dick, and Smith and Scott Thomas's character's aren't much better. The idea is solid, but the story itself ends up fairly dull.

3 hours ago, Davrum said:

I swear I've heard a podcast interview with Lindelhof himself saying they struggled to keep the quality up in the first part of S3, but when a show starts as strong as Lost did you can hardly blame it if it does dip at some point.

I think like a lot of US TV shows it suffered a bit from having to come up with 22 episodes of material every season (although in Lost's case the later seasons got shorter). That lead to a fair bit of filler, sub-plots that ended up being inconsequential or flashbacks that didn't add much to our understanding of the characters that we'd gotten from their previous flashbacks.

1 hour ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

I watched Spectre today. The intro sequence was awesome but the rest of the movie was kinda mediocre and boring. The generally dull action scenes and the underdeveloped love interest and villains wasn't a big help either.

The opening scene gets a lot of love but.. tracking shots seem to be a popular fad and this one just didn't excite me as much. Daredevil did it, True Detective did it, The Revenant did it (I think), Birdman did it, Oldboy did it (I've seen the scene but not the movie).. did I leave anyone out?

Anyone watch The People vs. OJ Simpson. Didn't finish the entire first episode but it looked pretty good.

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

The opening scene gets a lot of love but.. tracking shots seem to be a popular fad and this one just didn't excite me as much. Daredevil did it, True Detective did it, The Revenant did it (I think), Birdman did it, Oldboy did it (I've seen the scene but not the movie).. did I leave anyone out?

Anyone watch The People vs. OJ Simpson. Didn't finish the entire first episode but it looked pretty good.

People vs OJ Simpson premiere was great. 

Well, I think all you Lost lovers are way to forgiving of Lindelof's self-important scribblings. I concede that there was the occassional nice moment after season two, because even a blind squirrel stumbles on a tasty nut from time to time, but all in all the Lost I knew and loved in those first two seasons became an exercise in self-parody of its own format in the end.

Delayed gratification is a wonderful thing, but there comes a point that the mind, very much like the body, absolutely requires some form of nourishment. Otherwise it collapses in on itself. And that's what Lost did, it fell apart. Any semblance of cohesiveness was abandoned to a cruel fate. Its former greatness dragged through the mud. 

I have rarely seen a more blatent attempt to postpone the lifetime of a series past its natural point. It would have been more humane to euthanize the series early on, as a way to put it out of its mystery and preserve at least some of the good things about it. The powers that be couldn't do that sadly. They had no answers, they weren't willing to give answers. They were content with letting Lindelof beat the dead horse in a desperate attempt to wrangle yet another season out of the old beastie. All was fair in the pursuit of money.  But I'm glad for people who still enjoyed it, I don't get it myself, but you know, Arcadia looks different to different people I guess. 

I watched Two Night Stand yesterday. It's mercifully short and thoroughly average, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It has nothing new to offer the genre of romantic comedies, but I wanted something that didn't require me to focus muchattention on it and I certainly didn't have to do that here. So mission accomplished. 

I've been watching Baskets on FX and it's been pretty awesome. Zach Galifinakis is forced to give up his dream of studying at a prestigious French clown college because of his inability to speak French, and returns home to Bakersfield, CA where he becomes a rodeo clown. Louis C.K. produces and it's the perfect melding of his and Galifinakis' styles. While there's plenty of laughs, there's a lot of pathos as well.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Well, I think all you Lost lovers are way to forgiving of Lindelof's self-important scribblings. I concede that there was the occassional nice moment after season two, because even a blind squirrel stumbles on a tasty nut from time to time, but all in all the Lost I knew and loved in those first two seasons became an exercise in self-parody of its own format in the end.

Delayed gratification is a wonderful thing, but there comes a point that the mind, very much like the body, absolutely requires some form of nourishment. Otherwise it collapses in on itself. And that's what Lost did, it fell apart. Any semblance of cohesiveness was abandoned to a cruel fate. Its former greatness dragged through the mud. 

I have rarely seen a more blatent attempt to postpone the lifetime of a series past its natural point. It would have been more humane to euthanize the series early on, as a way to put it out of its mystery and preserve at least some of the good things about it. The powers that be couldn't do that sadly. They had no answers, they weren't willing to give answers. They were content with letting Lindelof beat the dead horse in a desperate attempt to wrangle yet another season out of the old beastie. All was fair in the pursuit of money.  But I'm glad for people who still enjoyed it, I don't get it myself, but you know, Arcadia looks different to different people I guess. 

So, I am now on to Season 3, and I for one am glad that Lindlehof kept up his "self important scribbling". Season 3 is actually where this show finally gets worthy antagonists, and they are as complex as any that have ever been written. Ben Linus is an amazing character, and the show wouldn't be the same without him. It is this season that he really starts to shine. Juliet is a character that is introduced that is essential to the overall narrative of the show as well, and as I have stated earlier, season 3 also has one of the best episodes of television in its history in Through the Looking Glass. 

As far as "delayed gratification", almost every episode of the series tells a complete story and is focused on a particular character. This is what the show was, and the show delivered in spades all the way throughout. I don't know why you were waiting to be happy, because every week, we got some form or resolution, and then a continuing story. We also received answers for just about everything that was a mystery in the show by the time the show concluded. 

LOST was about people in extreme situations, and the struggle between faith and reason. It really is amazing. In another 5-10 years, when there is a second series announced, I will be on board for that as well.

On 2/6/2016 at 7:50 PM, WarGalley said:

Yes, probably the best one of all time, the Copa scene in Goodfellas.

Also, Children of Men has a great one.

38 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I'd say Children of Men is definitely the one that started the modern love of it. And mentioning Cuaron you have to also bring up Gravity.

There's also a truly epic one in The Secrets in their Eyes, which won the Best Foreign Language Oscar in 2009, and a good one in Tony Jaa's Ong-Bak follow-up, Warrior King.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:50 PM, WarGalley said:

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

No mention of John Woo's Hard Boiled?

15 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just a bit boring really isnt it lol

I'm usually able to get into cheesy crappy popcorn saturdsay night tv. I watched Merlin, Primeval all kinds of stuff like that. But Beowulf was just all sorts of bad; it wasnt even entertainiing in a so bad its good sort of way 

49 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm usually able to get into cheesy crappy popcorn saturdsay night tv. I watched Merlin, Primeval all kinds of stuff like that. But Beowulf was just all sorts of bad; it wasnt even entertainiing in a so bad its good sort of way 

Theres not even anyone THAT hot enough to keep mme entertained tbh. Could do with some genuine sexual tension romance but nope even thats boring as shit. The guy playing beowulf is a good looking old boy isnt he but hes just booooooring god im turning into my MUM 

Archived