Trailer thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

6 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

So you haven't seen Apocalypto? Shame, it's really good.

Have you seen the Korean movie War of the Arrows, also known in some places as Arrow: The Ultimate Weapon? While it has a completely different milieu (it's set during the second Manchu invasion of Korea, in the 1600s) and plot, it ends with a great half-hour-plus cross-country chase scene that's constructed rather similarly to the end of Apocalypto, and it's great.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Have you seen the Korean movie War of the Arrows, also known in some places as Arrow: The Ultimate Weapon? While it has a completely different milieu (it's set during the second Manchu invasion of Korea, in the 1600s) and plot, it ends with a great half-hour-plus cross-country chase scene that's constructed rather similarly to the end of Apocalypto, and it's great.

I haven't, I'll add it to the list of films to see. Hopefully I can find a subtitled version.

So, no one else is commenting on that crazy Matt Damon flick? I'm disappointed in you guys :P 

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Also has your favorite actor Sam Worthington :P:lol:

I also don't really like Andrew Garfield. And I still haven't forgotten True Detective Season 2, so Vinnie Vaughn doesn't have a clean slate either. Still, it looked rad :) That's all that matters at this stage.

4 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

So you haven't seen Apocalypto? Shame, it's really good.

:agree: Much better than Braveheart. Also a really unique setting, which is always great to see and a welcome exchange from all those WW II movies. 

19 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

So, no one else is commenting on that crazy Matt Damon flick? I'm disappointed in you guys :P

I didn't notice the trailer in this thread, but was just discussing it on Facebook, and by discussing I mean people saying 'what were they thinking?' in various ways.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I didn't notice the trailer in this thread, but was just discussing it on Facebook, and by discussing I mean people saying 'what were they thinking?' in various ways.

Ah, then all is right in the world again. I am content :D 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

What Matt Damon flick?

Edit: Never mind, just saw it. :shocked: 

The video that Ancalagon posted got removed. But here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Behold the mind-blowing fuckery

That's Matt Damon's clone, right? It has to be. The Chinese secretly cloned Matt Damon. Man, it's all about the $.

And Pedro Pascal, too. smh

Actually remove these two, make it only with Asian actors, and it looks like a fun flick (Gods of Egypt fun mayhaps)

Edit 2: Some of the youtube comments are Trump related and they're hilarious 

The mystical creatures aren't bringing their best though, they're bringing rapists and criminals.Some of these mystical creatures, I assume, are good people.

What a weird thing. Also, I sure hope there's some throwaway line about how Matt Damon's character is one of those Roman soldiers that ended up in China. There'd still be the issue of having a white guy randomly being the main character of an Asian cast movie, but at least he wouldn't be in yellowface.

Beyond that, the whole concept just seems bizarre. If its based on any sort of Chinese mythology I could understand the basic thinking beyond it though; similar to the various movies that assume Greek/Roman/Norse/Egyptian mythology is true (e.g. Clash of Titans, etc.)

18 hours ago, Veltigar said:

:drool: As someone who is really sick of WW II movies, I have to say this looks awesome. I hope Mad Mel does it again!

I checked out the real life story of Desmond Doss and it's nuts. His citation for the medal of honor is a list of incredibly brave actions. The very definition of a hero. I really hope this movie does him justice.

Lol, I see why they removed the original trailer. They changed some of the titles that pop up in the course of trailer. It now says that the Wall took 1700 years to build, but I distinctly remember that yesterday, it said that it took '500 years to build' (I was thinking to myself about how stupendously wrong that was, that's why I remember).

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

What Matt Damon flick?

Edit: Never mind, just saw it. :shocked: 

The video that Ancalagon posted got removed. But here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Behold the mind-blowing fuckery

That's Matt Damon's clone, right? It has to be. The Chinese secretly cloned Matt Damon. Man, it's all about the $

:lol: Yes, this was the reaction I was looking for XD

Actually remove these two, make it only with Asian actors, and it looks like a fun flick (Gods of Egypt fun mayhaps)

It looks very dour though. But I hope it does manage to get to Gods of Egypt territory.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

What a weird thing. Also, I sure hope there's some throwaway line about how Matt Damon's character is one of those Roman soldiers that ended up in China. There'd still be the issue of having a white guy randomly being the main character of an Asian cast movie, but at least he wouldn't be in yellowface.

According to the bright minds of youtube, this is their explanation:

Please read before you slap your dick on this movie... "set in 15th-century China which revolves around soldiers searching for gunpowder who come across the construction of the famous wall, and learn that its hurried construction isn’t just to keep out the Mongols, but mystical creatures as well."

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Beyond that, the whole concept just seems bizarre. If its based on any sort of Chinese mythology I could understand the basic thinking beyond it though; similar to the various movies that assume Greek/Roman/Norse/Egyptian mythology is true (e.g. Clash of Titans, etc.)

I think it's based on the following equation;

GoT is really popular + Godzilla made a ton of money + Walls are in vogue + Set it in Chinato get that Warcraft money in + Cast a white guy so Murica and the rest of the West will watch this dumb popcorn flick too + blackmail Matt Damon into playing the lead = The Great Wall

Edit 2: Some of the youtube comments are Trump related and they're hilarious 

The mystical creatures aren't bringing their best though, they're bringing rapists and criminals.Some of these mystical creatures, I assume, are good people.

:lmao:

45 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I checked out the real life story of Desmond Doss and it's nuts. His citation for the medal of honor is a list of incredibly brave actions. The very definition of a hero. I really hope this movie does him justice.

The trailer is promising, which is more than you can say about a lot of movies. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. 

7 hours ago, Fez said:

It just looks like they wanted to make a Fantasy movie, with a Chinese setting, and anything that they thought of, is in.

So you'll have the Wall as China's most splendid bit of architecture, you have long flowing colourfoul gowns, swords, exotic weaponry, people that leap like no person can ( Flying Dagger style ) and monsters that will, hopefully, include a chinese dragon. That I would like. Long and flowing without the wings, just for a change of pace.

45 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

people that leap like no person can ( Flying Dagger style )

To be fair, that's a pretty standard Wuxia thing, which this movie is basically a particularly epic and CGI-filled version of by the looks of it. In any case it's the same director as House of Flying Daggers so it's not as if he just randomly nicked the idea coz he thought it looked cool.

Him as the director would be a good sign, but everything else about it in fairness to what you're saying just absolutely reeks of a movie put together by committee to make money. I mean, just fucking look at the list of writers (per wikipedia):

written by Tony Gilroy, Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro, Max Brooks, Edward Zwick, and Marshall Herskovitz.

41 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Him as the director would be a good sign, but everything else about it in fairness to what you're saying just absolutely reeks of a movie put together by committee to make money. I mean, just fucking look at the list of writers (per wikipedia):

written by Tony Gilroy, Carlo Bernard, Doug Miro, Max Brooks, Edward Zwick, and Marshall Herskovitz.

So it's (co-)written by the same person who wrote The Last Samurai? He must really like the 'white man saves Asian country' plot device.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Watching the Hacksaw Ridge trailer and reading about Desmond Doss makes me wish, even though they're basically opposite people, that someone would make a movie about Jack Churchill.

Man, that must have been some character. Between this and Digby Tatham-Warter, those loony Brits really earned the right to be called excentric :) 

Archived