Trailer thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

On 8/28/2016 at 5:05 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Planetarium: Official International Trailer 1 (2016) - Natalie Portman Movie

Blair Witch: Official International Trailer 1 (2016)

Wait. Did they remake Blair Witch already!? I saw a poster for it today and was thinking 'oh they've rereleased it.. because thats the exact same poster as the original' and was thinking that was cool. Now i'm disgusted.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Wait. Did they remake Blair Witch already!? I saw a poster for it today and was thinking 'oh they've rereleased it.. because thats the exact same poster as the original' and was thinking that was cool. Now i'm disgusted.

Its not a remake, its a sequel.

4 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

La La Land seems to be earning rave reviews at the Venice Film festival :D 

It's weird. First time I saw that trailer I kept waiting for something horrible to happen just coz it's the same director as Whiplash and it seems inconceivable that the same mind would produce just a straight-up romantic musical, but apparently that is exactly what it is.

49 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's weird. First time I saw that trailer I kept waiting for something horrible to happen just coz it's the same director as Whiplash and it seems inconceivable that the same mind would produce just a straight-up romantic musical, but apparently that is exactly what it is.

His versatility is great isn't it :) With Damien Chazelle, we might have the most interesting director of the coming decade starting to hit his creative sweet streak ;) 

16 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

His versatility is great isn't it :) With Damien Chazelle, we might have the most interesting director of the coming decade starting to hit his creative sweet streak ;) 

I need to see JC Chandor's other two films that aren't All Is Lost, but judging on that and how different the other two are and the good reception they've gotten, I have good hopes for JC Chandor. I hope he plans to fit more of the risky little ones in between the Oscar-chasing dramas.

Also, Justin Lin.  :P

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Also, Justin Lin.  :P

Lol, no :P 

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I need to see JC Chandor's other two films that aren't All Is Lost, but judging on that and how different the other two are and the good reception they've gotten, I have good hopes for JC Chandor. I hope he plans to fit more of the risky little ones in between the Oscar-chasing dramas.

I have seen his A Most Violent Year. In a lesser year I believe he would have won a couple of prices, but he just couldn't beat the rest of the excellent line-up of 2014. The film itself was really good, but it was nowhere near the level of Whiplash to compare him directly to Chazelle. I haven't seen his other two films though, so I'll refrain from judgement on that :) 

9 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Lol, no :P 

I have seen his A Most Violent Year. In a lesser year I believe he would have won a couple of prices, but he just couldn't beat the rest of the excellent line-up of 2014. The film itself was really good, but it was nowhere near the level of Whiplash to compare him directly to Chazelle. I haven't seen his other two films though, so I'll refrain from judgement on that :) 

You need to see All Is Lost asap. Completely different sort of film (to both Whiplash and Violent Year) but imo just as good as Whiplash.

Check out this trainwreck: Yoga Hosers directed by Kevin Smith and starring that guy from the Shannara Chronicles, Johny Depp's daughter (not beaten) and the director's daughter. It has a 27/100 on metascore and it looks like it. If I could see it for free, I might just do it, just to see how bad it really is XD

hehe, the review from Variety is just gold:

If it’s true, as Kevin Smith noted in his lengthy introductory remarks at Sundance, that “failure is just success training,” then he should be in the best shape of his career after “Yoga Hosers,” an imbecilic, strenuously wacky helping of see-what-sticks juvenilia that finds the director continuing the “True North Trilogy” he began with 2013’s rather more endurable “Tusk.”

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

You need to see All Is Lost asap. Completely different sort of film (to both Whiplash and Violent Year) but imo just as good as Whiplash.

I'll put in on the watchlist :) 

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yoga Hosers looks like Kevin Smith entirely failing to accept that he no longer has any handle whatsoever on youth culture.

I think you're right on the money. From what I have read in reviews, that is one of the many, many problems that plague this movie. From the AVClub review: 

The Colleens are a 46-year-old man’s idea of how adolescents talk and act: They call things “basic,” bury their noses in cell phones (expect lots of onscreen text and Instagram references), and generally behave like a parody of a parody of kids today.

I was on board with 'Is That a Gun in Your Pocket' for the first few shots (no pun), but once I realized it was yet another retelling of Lysistrata I lost all interest. On the other hand, judging by the negative reception it has on youtube, it seems to have really pissed off the RWNJ crowd. So I hope it does well.

Archived