Gendrys mother

Ghost of Harrenhal.

This is my first thread, to begin with. Somebody has probably noticed this before me, but i noticed it myself and haven't seen any threads about this before. And i'm sorry if my english is not correct, it's not my first language. 

I am rereading A Game Of Thrones and I happend to notice a particular scene. When Ned visits Gendry and Gendry tells him that Jon Arryn asked him questions about his mother. Now, what would Jon possibly want to know about Gendrys mother? Shouldn't he be asking about his father unless he already was absolutely sure that Robert was his father, which he probably was. But why would he ask about his mother if he knew the only thing of importance, that Gendry was Roberts bastard. 

Gendry doesen't remember much about his mother, only that she had blonde hair and singed to him. Now, what if Gendry was not only Roberts bastard but Cerseis son as well. That would explain why Jon wanted to know about his mother, because he already suspected it.

What do you think?

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Harrenhal. said:

This is my first thread, to begin with. Somebody has probably noticed this before me, but i noticed it myself and haven't seen any threads about this before. And i'm sorry if my english is not correct, it's not my first language. 

I am rereading A Game Of Thrones and I happend to notice a particular scene. When Ned visits Gendry and Gendry tells him that Jon Arryn asked him questions about his mother. Now, what would Jon possibly want to know about Gendrys mother? Shouldn't he be asking about his father unless he already was absolutely sure that Robert was his father, which he probably was. But why would he ask about his mother if he knew the only thing of importance, that Gendry was Roberts bastard. 

Gendry doesen't remember much about his mother, only that she had blonde hair and singed to him. Now, what if Gendry was not only Roberts bastard but Cerseis son as well. That would explain why Jon wanted to know about his mother, because he already suspected it.

What do you think?

Because Jon was studying dog breeding and wished to know what Gendry's mother looked like. Exactly because his mother was blonde and his father black-haired Robert and previous Baratheon marriages with a blonde Lannister also resulted in black-haired childre, Gendry is the genetical evidence that Cersei's children with Robert ought to be black-haired and not blond.

No, he's not Cersei's son. The clue is that when Robert has a child with ANY blonde haired woman, the child always has black-hair; therefore Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella cannot be Robert's children.

And welcome to the forum :)

No. Jon only wanted to know about her hair color to prove the theory that all Baratheons are all born with black hair..

But if we're looking for crackpot, here be crackpot: Gendry's mom is Malora "the Mad Maid" Hightower. Robert had sex with Malora when he visited the Reach (he told Ned about it in Game, and it seems like he really enjoyed that trip). But then Malora knew she was pregnant, and having a "mad" or rebellious streak she went to KL alone to confront Robert about the baby. Cersei was having none of it, though, and told the guards not to let Malora in and threatened to kill her if she came back (Malora didn't use her real identity so as to not embarrass her family further). She worked for a bit as an alehouse worker, incognito, till she gave birth to Gendry. Not long after, a pissed off Leyton showed up looking for her. He told her he wasn't gonna let his House suffer any more shame (Lynesse becoming some sort of concubine was shameful enough). So he forced her to leave the baby with Tobho Mott, promising he'd pay regularly for his apprentice fee so the baby could have a nice life. Malora named him Gendry after Gerold Hightower - the White Bull -, and the name proved prophetic as he grew up to be stubborn and strong as a a bull, as signified by his bull helmet. Malora has spent the rest of her days at the Hightower, as punishment for her transgression. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Harrenhal. said:

That is true, i didn't think about that. But Jon already had evidence for that when he saw the mothers of the bastards when he visitet the brothels. I mean, it could be true that he is their trueborn son. Anyway there is no one who can prove it in that case, except for Cersei

There is only one bastard in KL brothel: Barra. One bastard is not enough evidence. But if he can prove that all of Robert's bastards of fair-haired women are black-haired in combination with the book, then he has something to convince Robert of it. And that's why Cersei is so keen to have exactly these bastards AND their mothers killed or disappear: the bastard twins at Lannisport were killed, the mother sold into slavery a few years before; both Barra and her mother are killed; and Gendry is chased and his mother long dead already. 

19 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

No. Jon only wanted to know about her hair color to prove the theory that all Baratheons are all born with black hair..

But if we're looking for crackpot, here be crackpot: Gendry's mom is Malora "the Mad Maid" Hightower. Robert had sex with Malora when he visited the Reach (he told Ned about it in Game, and it seems like he really enjoyed that trip). But then Malora knew she was pregnant, and having a "mad" or rebellious streak she went to KL alone to confront Robert about the baby. Cersei was having none of it, though, and told the guards not to let Malora in and threatened to kill her if she came back (Malora didn't use her real identity so as to not embarrass her family further). She worked for a bit as an alehouse worker, incognito, till she gave birth to Gendry. Not long after, a pissed off Leyton showed up looking for her. He told her he wasn't gonna let his House suffer any more shame (Lynesse becoming some sort of concubine was shameful enough). So he forced her to leave the baby with Tobho Mott, promising he'd pay regularly for his apprentice fee so the baby could have a nice life. Malora named him Gendry after Gerold Hightower - the White Bull -, and the name proved prophetic as he grew up to be stubborn and strong as a a bull, as signified by his bull helmet. Malora has spent the rest of her days at the Hightower, as punishment for her transgression. 

Lynesse wouldn't be a concubine for nearly a decade after Gendry's birth, considering Lynesse didn't even marry Jorah until 289 at earliest, while Gendry was born in 284.

7 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

There is only one bastard in KL brothel: Barra. One bastard is not enough evidence. But if he can prove that all of Robert's bastards of fair-haired women are black-haired in combination with the book, then he has something to convince Robert of it. And that's why Cersei is so keen to have exactly these bastards AND their mothers killed or disappear: the bastard twins at Lannisport were killed, the mother sold into slavery a few years before; both Barra and her mother are killed; and Gendry is chased and his mother long dead already. 

There were two other bastards in different brothels that Ned found on his own, they're mentioned and one is even mentioned with having blond hair that has the dark roots showing it's dyed.

31 minutes ago, Ghost of Harrenhal. said:

That is true, i didn't think about that. But Jon already had evidence for that when he saw the mothers of the bastards when he visitet the brothels. I mean, it could be true that he is their trueborn son. Anyway there is no one who can prove it in that case, except for Cersei

and we have Cersei's PoV that made it pretty clear that there was no trueborn children. 

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Harrenhal. said:

Cersei never had a child by Robert. The sob story about how she lost her first born is show only. In the books there's no such story. Furthermore, if Cersei had been pregnant and given birth before Joffrey, people would have been aware of it: she is queen and that first child would have been Robert's heir - the birth would have been something of a public event.

Yet, not even Cersei seems to remember it. Lastly, her having one more child contradicts Maggy's prophecy.

29 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

This is absolutely NOT the worst crackpot to appear here. It's even possible, if not really likely.

22 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Lynesse wouldn't be a concubine for nearly a decade after Gendry's birth, considering Lynesse didn't even marry Jorah until 289 at earliest, while Gendry was born in 284.

Leyton can see the future with his spells. Magic!

13 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

This is absolutely NOT the worst crackpot to appear here. It's even possible, if not really likely.

Eat your heart out, Preston Jacobs!

I have something else to add, btw. Gendry totally looks like Channing Tatum here:

Gendry_by_henning.jpg

2 hours ago, Lord Fauntleroy said:

Maybe we'll get a description of a stout bearded man at the Citadel or High Tower from Samwell's time there. 

Eddard describes Varys in one of his disguises:

“The visitor was a stout man in cracked, mud-caked boots and a heavy brown robe of the coarsest rough spun, his features hidden by a cowl, his hands drawn up into voluminous sleeves.”

Arya describes the man down in the depths as:

“a stout man in a leather half cape. Even in heavy boots, his feet seemed to glide soundlessly over the ground. A round scarred face and a stubble of dark beard showed under his steel cap, and he wore mail over boiled leather, and a dirk and shortsword at his belt. It seemed to Arya there was something oddly familiar about him.”

Tobho Mott describes the man as:

"He was stout, round of shoulder, not so tall as you [Eddard]. Brown beard, but there was a bit of red in it, I'll swear. He wore a rich cloak, that I do remember, heavy purple velvet worked with silver threads, but the hood shadowed his face and I never did see him clear.”

2 hours ago, finger said:

Btw, who paid Gendry's apprenticeship? I mean, who's the stout man with the brown beard? Any guess?

What I don’t get is, if Varys is the one who put Gendry there, why Varys would be interested in Robert’s bastards. Did Robert one day ask  Varys to keep track of them?” The reason I ask is that Varys tells Tyrion that Robert fathered eight, to the best of his knowing.

Then there is that other reference made by Stannis concerning Edric, “My royal brother played the fond father on his visits to Storm's End, and there were gifts . . . swords and ponies and fur-trimmed cloaks. The eunuch's work, every one. The boy would write the Red Keep full of thanks, and Robert would laugh and ask Varys what he'd sent this year.”

When it comes to Gendry, I’m wondering if he was born in KL or was he brought to KL? I’m stretching and crack potting here, but purple velvet is associated with Illyrio via Tyrion and the color purple is associated with Braavos frequently. The doors at Tobho Mott’s joint are described as double doors of ebony and weirwood.” The doors Arya sees at the HoBaW are also described as being weirwood and ebony.

Allthough it sounds amazing, but I do not think Malora is mother of Gendry.

If Robert knocked up the eldest daughter of Reyton Hightower, well, this is probably a much bigger news than he slept with Delena florent.

I always thought Malora had a son with a archmaester and this son worked with rickard stark and fed him with southern ambition.

But the age may have some problem.

No doubt a Faceless Woman secret glamoured Targ warged by Bloodraven.  

Actually, what I find odd about Gendry is that Tobho Mott sent him away.  I guess there were enough hints that Gendry was in danger (he refused to reveal Gendry's identity even to Ned) and with the death of Robert I guess he realised things were looking grim.  But what doesn't make sense to me is that Varys took so long (however long Ned is in the cells - a week or two?) to capture him for his own ends.  Cersei being a little slow makes sense 'cause she's incompetent and had plenty other things to worry about, of course, but Varys?  

Archived