Boring foods

Felguy

Anybody have a particular food that they just find exceedingly boring? Not necessarrily nasty but just, boring.

The taste, texture, smell, look etc.

For me it is without a doubt, pasta, it's so stale imo, the color is unexciting, the taste, nothing(by itself I mean, of course you normally add condiments), the texture, boring, there is nothing to it. :P

I foresee a lot of  'rice cake' comments in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Felguy said:

Anybody have a particular food that they just find exceedingly boring? Not necessarrily nasty but just, boring.

The taste, texture, smell, look etc.

For me it is without a doubt, pasta, it's so stale imo, the color is unexciting, the taste, nothing(by itself I mean, of course you normally add condiments), the texture, boring, there is nothing to it. :P

I foresee a lot of  'rice cake' comments in this thread.

Pasta is a fantastic base though. Kind of like chicken, I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

For me, baked chicken is pretty boring. You kind of have to spice it up for it to be interesting.

Of course, that's almost always better. :P I am okay with either though.

(Also unrelated but I love this new system with notifications on the website)

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

I find it hard to choose a food that is boring, because generally it's pretty easy to mix-and-match it with something else until it isn't boring. 

This is exactly why I said 'a' food and not multiple.(or well I did say multiple but whatever... :(  ) :) It's hard to be boring when you can just mix foods.

That being said, I do find rice alone boring as well, and porridge too!

1 minute ago, Leap said:

Well, that kind of limits your options then. You couldn't say a burger, because it's multiple foods mixed together. 

And when you reduce everything down to its base elements, isn't it all kind of boring?

Not necessarily :D a burger alone is nice, I eat that sometimes. Just pure meat, with vegetables on the side.

But I find pasta boring, even with additions anyway.

1 minute ago, Leap said:

What about without vegetables? 

Not that all foods are equally boring. Steak, for example, is subjectively waaaay better than carrot in terms of texture, taste, etc. But I'd still consider a steak to be fairly boring without veg/sauce/accompanying drink. 

I know what you are saying yeah.

But doesn't 'on the side' mean something else than mixed in? I just eat them alone, often. 

Without vegetables it would be okay. But not super.

24 minutes ago, Felguy said:

But I find pasta boring, even with additions anyway.

BBQ Pork Chow Mein is on my short list of all-time favorites. The flavor and texture of a thick noodle that's been woked up with a bunch of other ingredients is tough to beat. Love me some Gnocchi as well. Especially in an alfredo sauce with some nice pesto. Can't agree with pasta being boring. It's just too versatile. 

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

BBQ Pork Chow Mein is on my short list of all-time favorites. The flavor and texture of a thick noodle that's been woked up with a bunch of other ingredients is tough to beat. Love me some Gnocchi as well. Especially in an alfredo sauce with some nice pesto. Can't agree with pasta being boring. It's just too versatile. 

For me, it's just the mixing in of other foods that makes it go above boring, I mean it's not a bad food, I find it serves as dinner and does it's job well, but otherwise... meh, would rather have something else if I had the choice. :)

5 minutes ago, Felguy said:

Either way, it's not a criticize each other's opinion's thread, just name what food you DO find boring.

I hear ya. Not meaning to be defensive. I guess if you want to talk about food that puts me to sleep I'd go with many of the Vegan standbys. Quinoa, tabouleh, anything that involves bulgur wheat or the like. Bland, flavorless stuff with an odd texture to it. I don't mind tofu in general, but it is pretty boring in a general sense. Whenever it's used as a psuedo meat substitute, I find it even less appealing. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I hear ya. Not meaning to be defensive. I guess if you want to talk about food that puts me to sleep I'd go with many of the Vegan standbys. Quinoa, tabouleh, anything that involves bulgur wheat or the like. Bland, flavorless stuff with an odd texture to it. I don't mind tofu in general, but it is pretty boring in a general sense. Whenever it's used as a psuedo meat substitute, I find it even less appealing. 

Guess it's good I saved my mother today, we were out doing groceries and she wanted to try meat substitutes, talked her out of it. :P

Archived