Underrated Actors and Actresses

TheMightyKC

Want real underrated? Irma P. Hall, that's underrated right there. I'm still waiting for the Academy to raid Jennifer Lawrence's house, take back her Oscar, and give it to this woman for her performance in "The Ladykillers" (the Coens' version)

10 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Carrie from Banshee - I've only ever play ''the hot girl'' in anything else I've ever seen her in (Just Like Heaven, Love Actually) but she's shown just how kick ass and brilliant she is in Banshee and she deserves more work and recognition. 

Basically all the actors of Banshee tbh, they're just knocking it out of the park and half of them I've never seen in anything else. 

Good call. The only people I've seen from Banshee in other stuff are Matt Servitto (Dep Brock) and Frankie Faison (Sugar). Everyone is so good on that show. 

2 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Want real underrated? Irma P. Hall, that's underrated right there. I'm still waiting for the Academy to raid Jennifer Lawrence's house, take back her Oscar, and give it to this woman for her performance in "The Ladykillers" (the Coens' version)

That movie sucks. :P

And I'm a massive Coen bros fan.

12 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

That movie sucks. :P

And I'm a massive Coen bros fan.

It does, but Hall single-handedly made it watchable. Plus, I first saw it around the time where I was seriously considering if I should try my luck on the movie business or get into law school, so it had a weird, sentimental impact on me along with a bunch of random films I saw that year. 

Btw, I wholeheartedly agree with Carrie Coon like you mentioned a few pages back. I want her to have Alicia Vikander's career (not a fan). 

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Really not. His acting is bland and extremely limited. He's improved slightly but not much since I first saw him on GoT. Really needs to learn that there is more than one facial expression you can use

You've obviously never seen Pompeii :P. I'm just surprised Jack didn't mention Sophie Turner.

Ben Mendehlson is another one. I can't wait to see him in Rogue One and have yet to finish Bloodline but he's tremendous in everything I've seen him in, especially Animal Kingdom.

1 hour ago, Ramsay Blow said:

You've obviously never seen Pompeii :P. I'm just surprised Jack didn't mention Sophie Turner.

Ben Mendehlson is another one. I can't wait to see him in Rogue One and have yet to finish Bloodline but he's tremendous in everything I've seen him in, especially Animal Kingdom.

I have. Terrible film, and his acting was no better than it is on Thrones. 

Sophie's alright as an actress, not outstanding but definitely not underrated

On 1/26/2016 at 2:01 PM, Nasrudin's True Love said:

I have mixed feelings about Love and Mercy as a film, but Dano is excellent (as the young Brian Wilson) in it, too.  

I'm with you 100%, Dano's stunning in that film. It hangs together better on a second watch too. I recommend that if you haven't already seen it again.

I was gonna say I LOOVE Sam Rockwell and wouldn't know if I consider him underrated but then I work in a movie store so I'm always talking to people about movies and discussing good actors and I love him so have mentioned him a lot to people and others always agree. 

5 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Between Clarke and Harington, Turner would even be a smart choice :)

As Helena said, she is good, but certainly not underrated. The two above-mentioned, overrated as hell.

58 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I think Kit has gotten better each season and was great last season. I've never had a problem with Turner's acting to be honest.

I've heard some rumors that Sophie is pretty bad in X-Men, starting with an American accent that leaves much to be desired. But then again, that movie looks like crap and even Jennifer Schumer Lawrence is phoning it in big time. 

I think Kit was good in 7 Days in Hell. He's got decent comedic timing and good deadpan delivery. He should do a Tatum and start in an action comedy, he'd be good in that. 

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I was gonna say I LOOVE Sam Rockwell and wouldn't know if I consider him underrated but then I work in a movie store so I'm always talking to people about movies and discussing good actors and I love him so have mentioned him a lot to people and others always agree. 

Yes, the Tony Stark that could've been. He's so freaking great in Seven Psychopaths and even in the super lame The Way Way Back. 

You know who else is super underrated? Jake Johnson. He should've been the lead in Jurassic World and I will fight anyone who says otherwise in a raptor cage. I'm beyond sick of Chris Pratt - the male J-Law, to be honest - giving the same performance in everything. 

2 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

You know who else is super underrated? Jake Johnson. He should've been the lead in Jurassic World and I will fight anyone who says otherwise in a raptor cage. I'm beyond sick of Chris Pratt - the male J-Law, to be honest - giving the same performance in everything. 

To be fair to Chris Pratt, his 'character' in JW is pretty much a non-existent, misogynistic douche-nozzle. He was pretty clearly phoning that in but I'm not sure he could've done anything to make that character interesting.

Sam Rockwell is a good choice too. Not quite sure if he's really all that underrated as he's in a lot of movies, though I guess he doesn't really seem to get much praise or name recognition in the mainstream.

To be fair, I find that there is a lot of actors and actresses named up there who I consider quite well-known and having a prettfy big notoriety already.

I'm more likely thinking about guys like Burn Gorman or Nick Moran.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Have you seen The Killer Inside Me? Not a great movie, but he's good in it.

Yeah I was thinking specifically of "Killer Inside Me" and the Jesse James movie with the ridiculously long title (he plays Bob Ford) when I mentioned Afleck.

I have to agree with Orlando Jones take on Joseph Fiennes being cast as the gloved one. 

I'm TOTALLY on board with Joseph Fiennes playing Michael Jackson IF AND ONLY IF Angela Bassett is cast as Elizabeth Taylor

And with that in mind I'll also put forward Angela Bassett and Joseph Fiennes. And Sacha Baron Cohen. This guy is a Cambridge grad and can do more than the "Borat" stuff. Wouldve loved to see him as Freddie Mercury but that movie failed to get off the ground i guess.

•  

5 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I think Kit has gotten better each season and was great last season. I've never had a problem with Turner's acting to be honest.

I agree with you on Kit, he's grown into the role really well, and Sophie Turner is incredible. She's easily the best of the actors playing the Stark kids and has held her own with everyone she's shared scenes with, including the magnificent Lena Heady.

I feel like some unfortunately let their dislike of Sansa colour their opinions on Turner. She's not "good for a child actor", she's just flat out good.

Archived