Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

Quoting Ran:

The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the episode. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if he normal rules of the forum do not apply. Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand -- this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked.

Please also bear in mind that this thread is not exempt from the other rules of the forum. Be civil to each other. Rape advocacy is unacceptable, even with regards to ficitional characters. If you find you cannot get along with/agree with another poster, ignore them and move on. If you have particular issues you would like addressed, PM a mod/report the relevant post. As already said, the purpose of this thread os not to debate. There are many other threads available for that.

Thank you.

Well, I appreciate the new thread, thanks for that!

But... not that I want to complain, but why needed the old one to be deleted and not just to be locked? I know it was long, but it kinda pains me to see so much fruitful debate lost. Do you expect us to reenact 124 pages of ranting? XD

The last one was a thread in the middle of an old thread, IIRC, that popped back up at the server and skin switch or whatever we call it, LOL  Still, I was in the middle of reading, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  

So, here's something to get the thread restarted.  An article about the promos released recently.  Promos, incidentally, that I haven't cared to check out, that is. LOLOL  Good Job, D's!!

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-season-6-teasers-190751858.html

7 minutes ago, Toth said:

But... not that I want to complain, but why needed the old one to be deleted and not just to be locked? I know it was long, but it kinda pains me to see so much fruitful debate lost. Do you expect us to reenact 124 pages of ranting? XD

Yes, if I may ask why as well? I was in the middle of reading it.

Thanks for a new thread! (Please don't complain to Helena. She is the one who keeps opening the new threads. Thanks for that again). The other one was starting to become very long. 

2 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

The last one was a thread in the middle of an old thread, IIRC, that popped back up at the server and skin switch or whatever we call it, LOL  Still, I was in the middle of reading, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  

So, here's something to get the thread restarted.  An article about the promos released recently.  Promos, incidentally, that I haven't cared to check out, that is. LOLOL  Good Job, D's!!

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-season-6-teasers-190751858.html

I did watch them. I even described them in last thread. To be honest, the Lannister one is really beautiful with the sunset/sunrise (probably sunset?) and the birds. Sadly I do not really like the voice-overs, especially not the one with Ramsay. 

Base off the new teasers, it doesn't look like Daenerys will reach Westeros this Season.  It seems she will have her hands full trying to govern Mereen, while trying to deal with this new Dothraki guy.  That sucks!

Also, Kings Landing has seemed to become overthrown indefinitely by the religious leader that was put into power by Cersei; a completely stupid move on her part, because she gave him soldiers in Season 5.

Ramsay looks to rule the North and at the moment, I'm not sure what to make of him...

A hat tip to Helena for the new thread. You're a true moderating force!

I'm pretty sure that's a sunset in the tattered Westerlands promo. Sun setting on the Lannisters? Could they be any more obvious? And ugh, Super Ramsay in the North. Because reasons. 

32 minutes ago, Toth said:

No reason other than being unable to lock it from mobile. I didnt want people to continue posting in both. Apologies to anyone who was reading back, I'll sort something when i can, possibly moving the last few pages into this thread

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No reason other than being unable to lock it from mobile. I didnt want people to continue posting in both. Apologies to anyone who was reading back, I'll sort something when i can, possibly moving the last few pages into this thread

Thanks for the clarification, keep up the good work!

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That was my guess, that it was a matter of what could be done and when.  I'm always thankful for your help over here, I hope you know that, Helena.  I just miss you posting with us.  Thanks for all you do, and don't drive yourself crazy on it.  

Not trying to bring the debate from the other thread, but I wanted to comment on something Chebishov brought up there, that I think goes well with the spirit of this thread.

"Why should we care what the fanboys think?"

Well, in an ideal world, we wouldn't. Liking the show for what it is is one thing, having read the books and claim that the show has improved them is nothing but preposterous, so why on earth should we care for that kind of opinion?

But the fact is, we do, in spite of ourselves. It irritates us, mildly or otherwise, all the undeserved praise and Emmy awards. As Toth and Lady Fever Dream exposed, it brings us satisfaction to make people see how they've ruined the story, and it would also satisfy most of us (other than those who are, oh so convinced that GRRM is going to kick the bucket before finishing writing and would rather have D&D's ending than none) that the show's viewership dropped and, ultimately, do so as to provoke the show to get canned. It would be bittersweet alright, because I started with the show and back then before S05 I still wanted it to succeed, but it would be satisfying nonetheless.

1 hour ago, LazyBazooka said:

Thanks for the new thread!

Damn it, when's the new trailer coming out? I wanna get my rant and rave on.

Dont worry we'll rip it together when it drops.

Hey guys, remember Arya's Season 5 plotline? You know, the one that was a fine adaptation, as even most of us booksnobs were willing to admit?

Well, @Julia Martell and I revisited it for our last retrospective. Our recap is out now, and the analysis is coming Wednesday. And seriously, it's just as bad as all the others. We were actually amazed to discover that, somehow.

Oh, and keep D&D's quote about this plotline in mind:

In the planning/outlining phase, we immersed ourselves in those sections of the books for the third or fourth time, and thoroughly steeped ourselves in George’s vision.

I'm not sure if it's more funny or pathetic.

37 minutes ago, Chebyshov said:

Hey guys, remember Arya's Season 5 plotline? You know, the one that was a fine adaptation, as even most of us booksnobs were willing to admit?

Well, @Julia Martell and I revisited it for our last retrospective. Our recap is out now, and the analysis is coming Wednesday. And seriously, it's just as bad as all the others. We were actually amazed to discover that, somehow.

Oh, and keep D&D's quote about this plotline in mind:

I'm not sure if it's more funny or pathetic.

Oh cool, thanks. I have been enjoying those. (The retrospectives, that is, not the sexist illogical mess of a show.)

And the crappy lighting, just want to second that. That's been a problem throughout the entire series.

Ugh... don't mention that one. Even though I have to admit today was fun. Imagine five students sitting around a table. Four of them having read the books, one of them hasn't. All four bookreaders are mocking the show while the Unsullied just kinda slumped down over her breakfast. It was actually a bit pitiful... But we had fun. We imagined how Littlefinger could die without any active action of Sansa ever. My usual suggestion of him slipping somewhere breaking his neck was now expanded in that he is going to slip on her tears...

Yeah, it went kinda dark.

By the way, I find George's stance towards the show more and more interesting. I'm currently glancing at the adaptions of the "When they Cry"-series where Umineko is a story that is in terms of complexity even more insane than ASoIaF. Its predecessor Higurashi also had a pretty lukewarm first season when they adapted the novels, especially since the studio focused too much on the gore and horror aspects instead of character development. The author reacted by involving himself even more in the second season of the show, going as far as writing a three-episode arc in which he retroactively fixed many of the things left out in the first season. Very interesting when you see that GRRM instead involves himself less in the series, going as far as cut all responsibility for what is shown.

Just for the record, Umineko itself also got adapted for TV. The first season was such a mess of over-the-top violence and disgustingly misplaced fanservice that the author Ryukishi did nothing to stop its early cancellation. He obviously considered it a lost cause. See a pattern here?

Archived