Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

These two things are supposed to go together, but they didn't on the show. While Arya can't part with Jon's "very special gift" (those are their own words), Jon forgot all about Arya. I can't think of even a beginning screenwriter who would not max out these things, by showcasing them. But they only showed half, because of the mess they made of Winterhell...

The best for last, he does this a lot, he's showing Jon means a lot to her:

"It's just a sword," she said, aloud this time . . .

. . . but it wasn't.

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

And Jon, the part they completely ignored, for Olly. It's like passing up a gourmet meal for fast food. Not even that, for a dirt sandwich.

He'd had Mikken make a sword for Arya once, a bravo's blade, made small to fit her hand. Needle. He wondered if she still had it. Stick them with the pointy end, he'd told her, but if she tried to stick the Bastard, it could mean her life...

Jon fell to his knees. He found the dagger's hilt and wrenched it free. In the cold night air the wound was smoking. "Ghost," he whispered. Pain washed over him. Stick them with the pointy end. When the third dagger took him between the shoulder blades, he gave a grunt and fell face-first into the snow. He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold ...

Preston Jacobs is awesome, his theory videos are wack. Like, hella wack. But his show-related videos (especially Season 5) are hilarious in the nitpicky sarcasm department, my personal favorite is Brienne sharpening Oathkeeper.

The problem with the adaptation is that D&D don't really care about the source material, they're doing their best to try and separate themselves from GRRM's story so that they can take full credit for the success of the show and the changes they're making show they have little to no understanding on why people like ASoIaF in the first place (and to some extent, why the show took off the way it did). There's no internal conflict for the characters, and their choices never have consequences, there's no emotion involved for anyone and without that the audience just doesn't have a reason to care. The fact that there's no logic or continuity between scenes doesn't help at all.

Book Stannis actually makes fun of Mel trying to convince him to burn Edric because she was 2 for 3 on the leeches, while show Stannis hesitates for like two minutes and then has Mel burn HIS ONLY DAUGHTER AND HEIR in the same 2 for 3 leeches thing. The justification could be that unlike Book!Stannis, Show!Stannis is a baby, and that's why he only sees what is in his immediate surroundings as real: that or he (like the writers) just forgot about poor squiddy Balon.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yes, it's mind boggling.  Watching those reviews yesterday I am ready to rant all over again about the brutal stupidity of Stannis march on Winterfell.  He's at Long Lake, though of course we know that nobody on set of GOT paid any mind to this, so not only did he forget about all the horse meat he had just slaughtered one episode ago, he forgot he's on a lake where they can ice fish, and then, of course, one wonders if he was close enough to Winterfell to WALK there in the first place....why is he burning his daughter again?  And the reviewer also made a point of wondering how, since Stannis army,  not in any formation was surrounded on an open field, how exactly does he get into the woods, and why?  We know the answer is that the woods shots are more interesting from a visual standpoint and then Bri can appear from behind a tree and they have a nice solo 1-1 exchange which wouldn't really work out on an open field.....

I really, truly do not think I have ever seen a show that has this much disregard for basic continuity even within a single episode.  I quit watching Lost so maybe it was this bad toward the end, I don't know.

Yeah, isn't it amazing that some 7 months after the end of series 5 we're still discovering more inconsistencies/general sloppiness in the plot(s)? Another thing that made no sense was that Ramsay never even tried to find Stannis. I mean, he doesn't know anything about Brienne and her solemn vow "to kill Stannis"(!). He needs Stannis as a hostage or a head on a spike, but no. Not only Stannis wanders off into the woods - maybe they'll explain that he ran away, leaving his men to their fate [thus butchering his character a bit more] - but Ramsay doesn't send anyone after him or anything. The whole thing was utterly stupid, start to finish. And I'm not talking just about Stannis, I'm talking the whole of series 5. 

Just now, Prince of the North said:

Also, the term for "entering the minds of animals" is "skinchanging" (but that wasn't even an option).:rolleyes:

I think a lot of people are also interpreting "greenseer" wrong. Bran & Bloodraven are greenseers, Jojen not. He has only green dreams. 

But when they talk about Jojen, it is like he is also a greenseer. (And this is literally said in the books). 

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

I think a lot of people are also interpreting "greenseer" wrong. Bran & Bloodraven are greenseers, Jojen not. He has only green dreams. 

But when they talk about Jojen, it is like he is also a greenseer. (And this is literally said in the books). 

Yeah, I think you're right.  heck, I'm even a bit confused on whether Jojen is a greenseer or not!  I mean, if his dreams are truly prophetic then doesn't that make him a greenseer?:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, I think you're right.  heck, I'm even a bit confused on whether Jojen is a greenseer or not!  I mean, if his dreams are truly prophetic then doesn't that make him a greenseer?:dunno:

Greenseers are skinchangers and they have green dreams, but I think Jojen only has the latter.

1 minute ago, Prince of the North said:

After Brans asks why Jojen can't teach him and that Jojen is a greenseer:

"No," said Jojen, "only a boy who dreams. The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world.

"The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. To me the gods gave the green dreams, and to you . . . you could be more than me, Bran. You are the winged wolf, and there is no saying how far and high you might fly . . . if you had someone to teach you. How can I help you master a gift I do not understand? We remember the First Men in the Neck, and the children of the forest who were their friends . . . but so much is forgotten, and so much we never knew."

Dear me, EW says Bran's arc in s 6 is "very Inception-y". I predict a mess (though I'd rather have a riot). 

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/29/game-thrones-season-6-bran

(and to make the best use possible of the comparison with "Inception", if you have an iOS device, ask Siri "What's Inception about".

And the last bit in Siri's reply is what will happen to some of us when s 6 is on. 

5 minutes ago, Ramsay's 20 Good Men said:

Greenseers are skinchangers and they have green dreams, but I think Jojen only has the latter.

Thanks!  That's what I thought but the fact that Jojen's dreams are prophetic always seem to throw me off just a bit on that:D

Basically, just as all wargs are skinchangers but not all skinchangers are wargs, all greenseers are greendreamers while not all greendreamers are greenseers. 

ETA: Thanks for the quote Tijgy!  Exactly!

4 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Thanks!  That's what I thought but the fact that Jojen's dreams are prophetic always seem to throw me off just a bit on that:D

Basically, just as all wargs are skinchangers but not all skinchangers are wargs, all greenseers are greendreamers while not all greendreamers are greenseers. 

Yea, that's a good way of putting it. It's all a bit confusing, though, I had to use Google just before I posted that last message to make sure that I didn't get things muddled up in my head again :P .

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Dear me, EW says Bran's arc in s 6 is "very Inception-y". I predict a mess (though I'd rather have a riot). 

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/29/game-thrones-season-6-bran

(and to make the best use possible of the comparison with "Inception", if you have an iOS device, ask Siri "What's Inception about".

And the last bit in Siri's reply is what will happen to some of us when s 6 is on. 

Uh oh!  Does that mean what I think it may mean for the upcoming books?!  That Bran, being an even more powerful greenseer than Bloodraven, will not only master the ability of looking through the eyes of the weirwoods throughout history but he'll actually be able to somehow influence the events he's witnessing?  IIRC, didn't Ned and Theon seem like they may have heard/felt him watching them?  That would be very "inception-y", right?  Of course, I'm not really believing anything until I read it in the books but... 

1 minute ago, Ramsay's 20 Good Men said:

Yea, that's a good way of putting it. It's all a bit confusing, though, I had to use Google just before I posted that last message to make sure that I didn't get things muddled up in my head again :P.

Yes, it is a bit confusing:P

7 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Uh oh!  Does that mean what I think it may mean for the upcoming books?!  That Bran, being an even more powerful greenseer than Bloodraven, will not only master the ability of looking through the eyes of the weirwoods throughout history but he'll actually be able to somehow influence the events he's witnessing?  IIRC, didn't Ned and Theon seem like they may have heard/felt him watching them?  That would be very "inception-y", right?  Of course, I'm not really believing anything until I read it in the books but... 

That's just it, with GoT we can never know what stuff means because it could be anything. Or nothing. But the potential for great mess and greater butchery is there, always! :lol:

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That's just it, with GoT we can never know what stuff means because it could be anything. Or nothing. But the potential for great mess and greater butchery is there, always! :lol:

It sure is!  I think, especially, the butchery part with the show.  But, anyway, I just feel that a few clues may have been included in the books that could point to Bran being able to do this sort of thing.  I trust Martin to do it well (if it happens) but the show?  Nope!

18 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

We talk about those possible influences in this thread or at least how in the books the powers of the old gods manifest during the stories. 

In CoK Jon has a dream about Bran as a weirwood tree showing him the camp of the wildlings. He probably was not there yet with his powers so how could Bran show this if he had not the possibility to manipulate events in the past? (a large explanation)

Archived