Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

Look, this scene would be to expensive to produce.  They'd have to hire a tree and then find a leaf trainer and leaf handler, because as we all know, herding leafs is much more difficult then herding cats.  And to have Bran whisper 'Bran' when he's not even in the scene?  How would the fans be able to follow such complexity?   Not only that, but they would have to outsource for a fog machine.  Big bux babee! 

So nope, nope, nope would never, ever work.  

Ser Pounce approves of this post. He wanted to come back. It's not his fault.

The cool thing about a lot of those book scenes is they are almost written like a screenplay. That scene was already written. Theon even spoke his thoughts aloud. Alfie would have aced that scene.

This was difficult?

sir-pounce1.gif

8 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Which is a good 1/2 of the time. The staff is putting much effort into having a good looking set, all for naught.

One thing I'm pretty upset about is the (male) costuming : grey, brown, grey, brown. They think it realistic, but it's not : wearing vivid colors was the way to distinguish yourself from the smallfolk...

We can see it in the armies, mainly the Northerners and the Ironborn, all brown and grey, the only colors we see sometimes is in some banner. The few they got the colors right were the Lannister army and kind of with the Martells.

And talking about the armors, am I the only one who have issues with the design of the armors and helmets?

I think the design of most of the armors and battle suits kind bad. The Baratheon armors (and mainly the helmets) are particularly ugly.

Stannis-Davos-etc.jpg

The Lannister armors are not that bad, but they seem more like a samurai armor. The Martell men-at-arms are just wrapped in a yellow cloth. With the budget they have I believe they could do much better. 

For your amusement: http://turtle-paced.tumblr.com/post/138527821677/got-re-watch-fine-toothed-comb-edition

(Poor Robb and Sansa by the way; and damn you Saint Tyrion)

Keep an eye on how the long-term Stark cause is portrayed. It’s another Ned trick, where the writers, knowing ahead of time that this cause will fail, have gone and written the adaptation so that the entire cause is obviously doomed from the beginning/Robb’s marriage. Here the writers are mashing heavily on the idea that nobody really thought about, well, anything beyond killing Lannisters. (And we lose out on things from Bran’s storyline, where Winterfell is very busy with Northerners petitioning for now-royal favour, angling for long-term advantages.) This could have been an excellent opportunity to give Robb a POV he didn’t have in the books, telling us what he thought about his bannermen proclaiming him king, if he was and is on board with becoming a king in order to satisfy his personal goals, wondering if he’s been overrun by events, explaining his insecurities and the burden of the expectations he’s now under. It’s turned into a thinly-veiled “well aren’t you stupid” moment instead.

(...)

We’ve lost the efforts of others to defend Sansa. In the books Ser Dontos makes two attempts, and the Hound speaks up. Neither works, but both try. Sansatries. In the show, we get nothing until Tyrion shows up. Both Dontos and Sandor have personal reasons to help Sansa; they are relationships she’s invested herself in. Sansa’s allies are not numerous, they’re not powerful, and they can’t stop Joffrey hurting her right now, but they’re hers and the result of things she has done. It is disappointing, to say the least, that this was erased in favour of having Tyrion swoop in and rescue a now truly passive Sansa from this particular situation. Once again we see that Tyrion’s moments of kindness are prioritised over and above the storylines of other characters, in places where the book manages to show both.

(...)

So, Joffrey’s sexuality was the focus of two consecutive scenes there, lasting approximately six minutes forty-five seconds of episode. One of those was canonical but as written focused more on Sansa’s efforts to survive than on Joffrey and his violence boner, and we somehow couldn’t find time to work in her escape attempts? Quite aside from being offensive, it’s redundant.

1 hour ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

We can see it in the armies, mainly the Northerners and the Ironborn, all brown and grey, the only colors we see sometimes is in some banner. The few they got the colors right were the Lannister army and kind of with the Martells.

And talking about the armors, am I the only one who have issues with the design of the armors and helmets?

I think the design of most of the armors and battle suits kind bad. The Baratheon armors (and mainly the helmets) are particularly ugly.

Stannis-Davos-etc.jpg

The Lannister armors are not that bad, but they seem more like a samurai armor. The Martell men-at-arms are just wrapped in a yellow cloth. With the budget they have I believe they could do much better. 

Well, the Lannisters must have the best looking armour. This way it's easier for viewers to identify them as the heroes here. All but Larry the Monster, that is. 

Also, the Night King also looks a bit like something out of a Kurosawa movie:

search?q=kurosawa+ran&prmd=vin&source=ln

search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=

5 hours ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Stannis-Davos-etc.jpg

Its a shame rgey couldnt give each house their unique house attire and armour.

Stannis%2BBaratheon.jpg

roose_bolton__lord_of_winterfell_by_miha

8e99202597d70e088eca4fea50a12a4c.jpg

7 hours ago, Tijgy said:

For (Poor Robb and Sansa by the way; and damn you Saint Tyrion)

Yep, Rory was filmed saying "Enough" to Joffrey, but they cut it, he was worried that they cut it because they didn't like his acting, too. They made a nice guy feel bad (not to mention many disappointed fans) to 1. make St. Tyrion a hero and 2. make room for a prostitute torture scene they added (because we didn't already know Joffrey sucks).

And all St. Tyrion (hand of the king, authority given to him by Tywin) did was walk into a room. Sandor risked his neck defying Joffrey, and Sansa noted Sandor never beat her, so he had been avoiding this for a long time, we saw him manipulating Joffrey on his name day to avoid Joffrey beating Sansa, and here he defied a direct order. And Tyrion knew about the beatings before (he called Sansa Joffrey's plaything), all he did was walk into a room and finally say somethng.

Tyrion used this as an opportunity to get Shae there as her maid, to more conveniently fuck her, which defied Tywin who said not to, this placed her in danger. The Shae change further marginalized Sandor, as she took over yet more Sandor turf. Show Sansa is candid with her and trusts her, show Shae will kill for her, barf, which of course is using Sansa to prop up Tyrion, and this all goes poof when they are done using Sansa as a prop in this way, but they use her as a prop in other ways, like when she honored him right before she was raped.

And in the books, the follow up to this scene is when Tyrion tells Sansa he will not send her home until Robb bends the knee. Later, Sansa refuses to bend the knee at the forced wedding, which the show wiped out. And Tyrion thinks "damn you" for not bendng your "stiff Stark knees" to spare his feelings (it's all about him, not the hostage crying so hard she can't see, which they also changed, she smiled at him before the wedding, and joked with him after the wedding).

And much more. None of this means anything, they tossed that marriage out, it's gone. And others prop him up, too. But no one lost as much doing so as Sansa. They made him a hero at her expense, but who cares about her story anyway, it's just going to get wiped out in season 5. After propping up LF (I know what you want, who cares what I want), her next stint was propping up Ramsay and Theon (and of course, Tyrion again). But hey, it's empowering to lose your story.

16 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yep, Rory was filmed saying "Enough" to Joffrey, but they cut it, he was worried that they cut it because they didn't like his acting, too. They made a nice guy feel bad (not to mention many disappointed fans) to 1. make St. Tyrion a hero and 2. make room for a prostitute torture scene they added (because we didn't already know Joffrey sucks). 

And all St. Tyrion did was walk into a room. Sandor risked his neck defying Joffrey, and Sansa noted Sandor never beat her, so he had been avoiding this for a long time, we saw him manipulating Joffrey on his name day to avoid Joffrey beating Sansa, and here he defied a direct order. And Tyrion knew about the beatings before (he called Sansa Joffrey's plaything), all he did was walk into a room and finally say somethng.

Tyrion used this as an opportunity to get Shae there as her maid, to more conveniently fuck her, which defied Tywin who said not to, this placed her in danger. The Shae change further marginalized Sandor, as she took over yet more Sandor turf. Show Sansa is candid with her and trusts her, show Shae will kill for her, barf, which of course is using Sansa to prop up Tyrion, and this all goes poof when they are done using Sansa as a prop in this way, but they use her as a prop in other ways, like when she honored him right before she was raped.

And in the books, the follow up to this scene is when Tyrion tells Sansa he will not send her home until Robb bends the knee. Later, Sansa refuses to bend the knee at the forced wedding, which the show wiped out. And Tyrion thinks "damn you" for not bendng your "stiff Stark knees" to spare his feelings (it's all about him, not the hostage crying so hard she can't see, which they also changed, she smiled at him before the wedding, and joked with him after the wedding).

I'm really starting to depise how St. Tyrion gets catered for at every oppurtunity at the expense of everyone else. It really makes me forget how different he is to book Tyrion sometimes.

Costumes, I have liked very few. A couple of dresses Dany wore. Can't think of anything else. Everything is drab and shapeless, and doesn't go together, there's no consistency. Margaery was beamed down from Star Trek. The costumes of the upper class are supposed to be sumptuous, and beautiful. I guess the worst in this respect was Talisa's rag dresses.

This and this and this and this...

2 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Season 6?

Yep.  Show Sansa is going to get the "respect she deserves" also....which I'm sure that GOT means she will be running LF army, but in truth, Show Sansa became so stupid last season that I'm not sure what respect she deserves if any.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Costumes, I have liked very few. A couple of dresses Dany wore. Can't think of anything else. Everything is drab and shapeless, and doesn't go together, there's no consistency. Margaery was beamed down from Star Trek. The costumes of the upper class are supposed to be sumptuous, and beautiful. I guess the worst in this respect was Talisa's rag dresses.

Why am I suddenly reminded of HBO's Rome and how the actress of Atia was gushing over the awesome clothing in the bonus clips. But honestly, those were both authentic and practical. The armors and clothes in GoT however... I found them silly more often than not. These Lannister armors with these oversized helmets most of all.

Just in contrast, look at what they did to the armors in the GoT RPG which was developed before the show aired and was written with high involvement of GRRM:

ShippingPC-AGOTGame-2012-01-20-15-39-07-

Lannister Household Guard

U5zJ4QQ19CEY.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Cersei and Gold Cloaks

ss-001.jpg

Red Priest and Brother of the Night's Watch

alestar.png

Another shot of Alester in his Red Priest garb.

It's all quite bulky, but I rather like how much emphasis there is on the heraldy. Every armor has striking surcoats, even mercenary groups:

0.jpg

2279117-game_of_thrones_mors_alester.jpg

House Sarwyck and House Westford armor

1391711609.jpg

House Castlewood Men at Arms

How come everyone in the show is grey in grey instead?

5 minutes ago, Toth said:

Why am I suddenly reminded of HBO's Rome and how the actress of Atia was gushing over the awesome clothing in the bonus clips. But honestly, those were both authentic and practical. The armors and clothes in GoT however... I found them silly more often than not. These Lannister armors with these oversized helmets most of all.

Just in contrast, look at what they did in the GoT RPG which was developed before the show aired and was written wit high involvement of GRRM:

Cersei and Gold Cloaks

ss-001.jpg

Red Priest and Brother of the Night's Watch

alestar.png

Another shot of Alester in his Red Priest garb.

It's all quite bulky, but I rather like how much emphasis there is on the heraldy. Every armor has striking surcoats, even mercenary groups:

0.jpg

2279117-game_of_thrones_mors_alester.jpg

House Sarwyck and House Westford armor

1391711609.jpg

House Castlewood Men at Arms

Wow I love how prominent the house sigils and colours are and easy to seperate

22 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yep.  Show Sansa is going to get the "respect she deserves" also....which I'm sure that GOT means she will be running LF army, but in truth, Show Sansa became so stupid last season that I'm not sure what respect she deserves if any.

Oh no =________=

96NWXq9.jpg

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

“I mean this season there’s like so many shocks, it’s massive,” Turner added. 

That is all.

Like it's awesome. Totally awesome. All right D & D, also added Spicoli.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

They think it IS a good thing, GOT is dynamic and titilating, I forgot what was the 3rd adjective HOB used.  

Yeah, but it's like going to be "bad ass". Like totally.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Agree. I also thought there were a few nice looking costumes that looked completely out of place. One I remember disliking particularly was Cersei's, when she first arrives in Winterfell. Here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=980&bih=643&q=game+of+thrones+hardhome+night+king&oq=game+of+thrones+hardhome+night+king&gs_l=img.3...1312.13639.0.14011.35.35.0.0.0.0.328.4746.0j23j1j2.26.0....0...1.1.64.img..9.15.2944.I_oCmGZzW94#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=cersei+arrives+in+winterfell&imgrc=825BXCLNVMbFOM%3A

Another atrocity, the Dornish costumes. From Fauxllaria's killer shoulder pads to everything the SS wore, with special mention to the curly tipped low riding boots. Can't find a photo, probably for the best. 

8 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, the Lannisters must have the best looking armour. This way it's easier for viewers to identify them as the heroes here. All but Larry the Monster, that is. 

Also, the Night King also looks a bit like something out of a Kurosawa movie:

search?q=kurosawa+ran&prmd=vin&source=ln

search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=

The look of the Lannister armors are not bad, I just think it don't combine so much with the medieval setting of Westeros.

4 hours ago, Ruhail said:

Its a shame rgey couldnt give each house their unique house attire and armour.

2 hours ago, Toth said:

Just in contrast, look at what they did to the armors in the GoT RPG which was developed before the show aired and was written with high involvement of GRRM:

Cersei and Gold Cloaks

0.jpg

The heraldry was neglected in most part in the show. The design in this game is much better and show the heraldry in a elegant way. Other thing, if you see in most armies: North, Ironborn, Stannis army as well, we don't see knights wearing nothing decorated with gold. Armors, jewels, buckles, mantles with golden or silver embroidery, all absent. The King of the North and the nobles dress like a hedge knight.

And about the dornish they could do much better, making a "oriental" style costume. One example is in the movie Kingdom of the Heaven, the armors the Arabs use are much better.

Saladin costume is great

4f1a5e105a7d30f4daaba42a440b32b8.jpg

saladinimgpelic.jpg

Archived