Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

4 hours ago, LazyBazooka said:

The only character in the show I can remember wearing a costume with their sigil on it was Viserys, and even then you had to look closely to see the dragon. Was there anyone else? 

Brienne got a fug costume with her sigil, heaven forbid she look even slightly girly on the show. Some fug brown sack over some high necked plain sack at an odd length, and why the belt? She doesn't give a shit how she looks, but takes time to accessorize? If you unlaced the sack, there was the Tarth sigil. 

41 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Why would the north make Sansa Bolton queen, Jon and Sansa know Bran is still alive. 

Sansa claiming the Northerner throne knowing their brothers are alive makes her a power hungry woman who wants to overthrow her brothers. Will she lie to the Northern lords? If she gain Winterfell, is crowned queen  and Bran or Rickon pops up, what she will gonna do? Will she abdicate?

They created a big problem blowing up her arc in the Vale.

In the books, I think she will reveal herself to the Vale lords, be crowned queen, but without knowing about Bran and Rickon.

10 minutes ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Sansa claiming the Northerner throne knowing their brothers are alive makes her a power hungry woman who wants to overthrow her brothers. Will she lie to the Northern lords? If she gain Winterfell, is crowned queen  and Bran or Rickon pops up, what she will gonna do? Will she abdicate?

In the books, I think she will reveal herself to the Vale lords, be crowned queen, but without knowing about Bran and Rickon.

The butterfly effect :D 

8 minutes ago, Arrow of the Morning said:

Except of course that in a show interested in historical accuracy, Sansa no longer has political capital to anyone but the Boltons. She went to the wedding voluntarily and despite what we, the 21st century audience understand, is neither the victim of rape nor a legitimate claimant in Westerosi eyes. She is now the property of the Boltons by all the laws of Westeros. I have no doubt that, as a show committed to delivering historical accuracy, GOT will depict Sansa being used simply as a political hostage against the Boltons, as would be the case in a realistic patriarchal society.

And it would the behavior of a cynic to point out that when this doesn't happen, it exposes the show as using historical context when it suits it in order to avoid criticism about it's dubious treatment of sexual assault throughout its entire run.

We need more stories like this out there.

https://www.inverse.com/article/10865-5-characters-besides-jon-snow-who-ought-to-be-in-game-of-thrones-season-6

We can all agree that the Hound is pretty much the best. He and Arya make the best buddy-cop traveling duo, and as a character, he is the closet embodiment of the show itself: He’s violent, uncouth, dirty, and kind of a dick, but damned if he isn’t magnificently entertaining and moving at unexpected moments. We last saw him ostensibly on his death bed at the end of Season 4, but the death never happened onscreen. In TV rules, that means all bets are off. Since a popular fan theory places him alive and laying low at a monastery, and Rory McCann has been spotted lurking around Belfast by the internet’s Kit Harington Hair Watch Committee, this development looks like it could be within reach. Since he’s also the only true friend Sansa has ever had (we’ll never be on board with your redemption, Theon!), his comeback would be as welcome as Jon’s. We’ll welcome him with open arms and smile as he insults us.

19 minutes ago, LadySoftheart said:

I loved everything about Eva Green's Sibylla and I wish they had let Ridley Scott's Director's Cut of "Kingdom of Heaven" be the version they released in cinemas because that one focused so much more on Sibylla. (The whole Balian was a blacksmith played by Orlando Bloom story annoyed the heck out of me - Balian was not a peasant and he was in his mid-40s when the action of the film went on so ... yeah!) 

I don't understand why - with the filming in Moorish Spain and casting Alexander Siddiq who is of Arab descent - they didn't make Dorne the Arab-influenced place many of us imagine it from the books. And that would have hopefully spared us the fake-Spanish accents that sound like Manuel from "Fawlty Towers" (but Manuel of course was intentionally funny, unlike GoT!)

I think Kingdom of the Heaven is a underrated movie, much because of the theatrical version the studio did. When I imagine Dorne, the world building of KoH come in my mind. I imagine the "Stone Dornish" in the same way the Kingdom of Jerusalem, they have a european look, but the weaponry, cloths and anything else is a mixture of European and Arab elements.

Dorne was inexplicable awful, they put little effort crafting the place and storyline. The Spanish accent is more because of Pedro Pascal, he added it to his character with success, because it is part of his background, but the other actors can't put it very well (Sand Snakes)

22 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

Except of course that in a show interested in historical accuracy, Sansa no longer has political capital to anyone but the Boltons. She went to the wedding voluntarily and despite what we, the 21st century audience understand, is neither the victim of rape nor a legitimate claimant in Westerosi eyes. She is now the property of the Boltons by all the laws of Westeros. I have no doubt that, as a show committed to delivering historical accuracy, GOT will depict Sansa being used simply as a political hostage against the Boltons, as would be the case in a realistic patriarchal society.

And it would the behavior of a cynic to point out that when this doesn't happen, it exposes the show as using historical context when it suits it in order to avoid criticism about it's dubious treatment of sexual assault throughout its entire run.

I disagree. I categorically discount the idea that the show is trying for "historical accuracy." It's a fantasy-based story with dragons and otherly beings who kill and inhabit the dead. That's not historical. Nor was the show's treatment of Sansa. It was, yet again, using Sansa as a blow-up doll to fill the shoes of Jeyne Poole, further the story they are trying to tell (Theon's) and giving their marginal actress something to do. Applying any kind of "historical" assumption to that is making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Criticizing the show's costumes is the lord's work, because, having been told 10000 times that TV is, like, visual, and so much has to be done to work for the visual medium....when that visual medium costumes the vast majority of the men in Westeros in brown leather and brown wool tunics indistinguishable from each other...when show only watchers already have trouble remembering who is who...then that's a failure of the show as a TELEVISION SHOW.  Not as an adaptation, though of course the source material gave them all the needed...but a failure in their own medium, a failure to use the visual medium to their advantage in telling the story.

4 minutes ago, LazyBazooka said:

iE8bIY7.jpg

This is my favourite one, just goes to tell much the show has been watered down. Oooh, what could have been...

That would mean St. Tyrion wouldnt be ruler and Dany would show human qualities and not be a 1D mary sue thats everyone's saviour.

P.S are there any more of these?

58 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

The butterfly effect :D 

D&D and the storylines in a gif

walking_contradiction_gif_by_tokitz37-d5

51 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

It is not impossible they do it. But, after the gratuitous rape and everything else they made Sansa suffer in the next season, they need to give some reward, making her queen and ride with an armor is the cheap way to give to the audience and critics a bone to chew.

2 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Backtracking in the North also makes Sansa's storyline last year that much more gratutious. Absolutely unnecessary, even if they want her to be the Queen in the North, if they actually go there.

It absolutely does, yes!

So marrying into the Boltons for revenge didn't really work out too well did it (can't imagine why!), so maybe she should rally the rest of the north to the Stark cause.

WELL WHY WASN'T THAT THE FIRST PLAN?

Sansa was raped. Rape is rape, doesn't matter when or where. It's lack of consent, she clearly would have said no at that point, and she was screaming in pain.

Could she prosecute him in a court of law, no. That's what the "historical" difference is. But that works both ways. Whoever cuts his head off is free to do so, and will be applauded.

Did the showrunners destroy her politically? They sure did. I don't know where people are getting this queen in the north stuff from. Politically, she's toast, and they made sure of it.

1 hour ago, Karmarni said:

Yes, please... "Since he’s also the only true friend Sansa has ever had (we’ll never be on board with your redemption, Theon!), his comeback would be as welcome as Jon’s." ...

And this sounds positively entertaining! "He’s violent, uncouth, dirty, and kind of a dick, but damned if he isn’t magnificently entertaining and moving at unexpected moments." :lol:

1 hour ago, Karmarni said:

I disagree. I categorically discount the idea that the show is trying for "historical accuracy." It's a fantasy-based story with dragons and otherly beings who kill and inhabit the dead. That's not historical. Nor was the show's treatment of Sansa. It was, yet again, using Sansa as a blow-up doll to fill the shoes of Jeyne Poole, further the story they are trying to tell (Theon's) and giving their marginal actress something to do. Applying any kind of "historical" assumption to that is making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Agreed. There's nothing historical about this. And Sansa is a blow up doll on the show.

2 hours ago, LadySoftheart said:

Yes, I guess because Pedro Pascal is of Latino origin (though he doesn't have a Spanish accent - I just saw him playing a vampire victim on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and awww, he was really cute!) the show determined that ALL THE DORNISH sound like Manuel... And that makes their acting EVEN more terrible. Why couldn't they just have their own accents, for heaven's sake, it's not even like all the Lannisters who presumably grew up in the same area of Westeros and had the same tutors, even have the same accent between NCW's occasional Danish accent, Peter Dinklage's far more frequent American accent, Lena Headey and Charles Dance doing RP, etc.? So why inflict this fake Spanish accent on their actors along with the terrible dialogue? Does "you need the bad pussy" sound better with the accent? Not reallY!

As soon as she uttered that sentence I literally paused the video, got up from my computer, removed my headphones and went to lay on my bed for about 2 minutes until the cringe went away. Only then could I get back to watch it.

I'm not even kidding. That's how ridiculous it was.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Sansa was raped. Rape is rape, doesn't matter when or where. It's lack of consent, she clearly would have said no at that point, and she was screaming in pain.

Could she prosecute him in a court of law, no. That's what the "historical" difference is. But that works both ways. Whoever cuts his head off is free to do so, and will be applauded.

Did the showrunners destroy her politically? They sure did. I don't know where people are getting this queen in the north stuff from. Politically, she's toast, and they made sure of it.

Any sensible Northern Lord who she seeks refuge from should and would question her on lengthy details. What she did, if she truly made a choice, was commit agredous treason against the memories of her family by willingly marry the Boltons and willingly legitimizing their claim and extending their wicked bloodline though hers. A bloodtraitor. This is worse than her marrying Tyrion of which she really had no choice. (What I saw, counter to what the showrunners say, she had no choice but did it anyway because the script said to)

9 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Any sensible Northern Lord who she seeks refuge from should and would question her on lengthy details. What she did, if she truly made a choice, was commit agregious treason against the memories of her family by willingly marry the Boltons and willingly legitimizing their claim and extending their wicked bloodline though hers. A bloodtraitor. This is worse than her marrying Tyrion of which she really had no choice. (What I saw, counter to what the showrunners say, she had no choice but did it anyway because the script said to)

Yes, she's a traitor. As you say, I don't see that she had a choice at all. But going with their story, she chose to "sleep with the enemy" which is always scorned. Remember the scene in season 2, "They slept with lions," the Stark men had strung up the women that Brienne cut down. It makes no damn sense that she would do such a thing, she took revenge on herself, but it's what they had her do. She dishonored her family. She's a traitor. And she did it because LF said so. She doesn't know all the horrible things he's done, but she knows he's a dishonorable man. She's a disgrace.

(After she made this "choice" she was raped, but she made the "choice" and there's the rub.)

Archived