Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

This seems to be the source for the rumor/spoiler from the site that wronged the reasonable redbeard, he came out with it before they did, and they posted his picture, Rickon is not one of the burning ones, but dies, the Umbers fight for the Boltons, Smalljon dies, etc. There's more, seems to suggest Jon is the one who rallies the north.

/take with a grain of salt

Does anyone keep track of which spoilers from which source turned out to be accurate?  I remember it seems like the vast majority of spoilers for last year were accurate.

So, that does suggest that Rickon and Osha will die and Ghost too.  Awful.  Awful for the books too.

He says a lot of things now that he blew his chance to finish his own story.

Rickon and Ghost aren't secondary characters like Irri, I can't imagine that the show would kill Rickon if he lives to the end in the books.  

They killed Stannis, Shireen, Myrcella, Mance and Selmy last year, and we can be almost sure they all die before the end in the books. Most of those characters people have long assumed would die before the end anyway.

Rickon may die in the books, too. But I don't think there's a one to one, what the show does = what the books do. Ghost could die in the show and live in the books. I don't think they see Ghost as important at all. They turned him into Sam's dog Rover. Might as well get him out of the way, so they can tell their "realistic" story about boobs and violence.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

This seems to be the source for the rumor/spoiler from the site that wronged the reasonable redbeard, he came out with it before they did, and they posted his picture, Rickon is not one of the burning ones, but dies, the Umbers fight for the Boltons, Smalljon dies, etc. There's more, seems to suggest Jon is the one who rallies the north.

/take with a grain of salt

I don't know if is the same source, but the person that said Rickon dies is the same extra that said Theon would be present in Kingsmoot and then he and Yara would go to Volantis, and they would have a scene at a tavern.

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He says a lot of things now that he blew his chance to finish his own story.

Rickon and Ghost aren't secondary characters like Irri, I can't imagine that the show would kill Rickon if he lives to the end in the books.  

They killed Stannis, Shireen, Myrcella, Mance and Selmy last year, and we can be almost sure they all die before the end in the books. Most of those characters people have long assumed would die before the end anyway.

I really, really don't believe for a second that all major events, including the deaths of major/fairly major characters, will be the same in the books and show. I think you're still giving them more credit than they deserve in regards to this. Like, they'll mangle or delete things but will still tick all major plot point boxes, and I really don't think they will. :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I really, really don't believe for a second that all major events, including the deaths of major/fairly major characters, will be the same in the books and show. I think you're still giving them more credit than they deserve in regards to this. Like, they'll mangle or delete things but will still tick all major plot point boxes, and I really don't think they will. :dunno: 

You might be right, but going by their track record, they're about 85% at hitting the major plot points and major characters being in the same situation as they are in the books.

It's true they might kill Ghost for shock value and he lives in the books because he's not that important anymore to Jon since season 2? But I simply do not believe any of the Starks are going to have different outcomes than the books unless GRRM has started trolling HBO to ensure there is a different end.

The ones they don't like (Stannis, Sansa, Jaime, ...) I seriously doubt will get better treatment (they sure haven't so far) but I can easily picture them keeping St. Tyrion alive if he dies in the books, or putting him on the throne if it's Jon in the books, or something along those lines.

I can't see that happening.  In fact the only way I see a different outcome for the top 5-7 characters is if GRRM is the one who changes the end he gave to HBO. Tyrion on the IT if in the books it's Jon, I don't see that at all.  It's more that they will give Carol a heroic and poignant death...instead of everyone cheering like they will when she finally dies in the books, things like that.

I don't know, I can see them saying "it was better for the show"... I used to think they would stick to the same endings, but now I think they could do anything at all. I think they could make things better for their favorites. And make things worse for the ones they don't like.

11 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I don't know, I can see them saying "it was better for the show"...

I can't see them doing that either, sorry. They insist again and again that the ending will be the 'same'. We have have seen what that word means to them in the hilariously faithful season 5. EVERYTHING will be changed beyond recognition and every ounce of meaning will be forcefully stripped off the story... and yet somehow through some miraculous asspull the same butt will be placed on the Iron Throne.

And yet, since I personally think that the Iron Throne will be abandoned by the end of the books and the Seven Kingdoms will once again fracture into smaller kingdoms, I assume for the Ds that means EVERYTHING is once again possible. Because if George told them the realm falls apart, to them it neither matters how it crumbles nor which pieces there are left afterwards. So all we gain from the show is some kind of assurance whether there will be an Iron Throne with a royal ass on it or not. Everything else will still be up in the air.

No, they did not say the end would be the same. Here:

"Luckily we've had a lot of talks with George, we know where he's going. We know the end point, and we're hoping that, you know, that end point will be very much in keeping with the spirit of the books."

Well, anything is possible.  Having previously believed they would NEVER replace Jeyne Poole with Sansa and that if any Martells were being cut it would be the snakes and not Arianne....they're obviously capable of any kind of insanity.

But, I think it's still very, very unlikely that Jon, Dany, Arya, Bran, Sansa, Jamie, Cersei, Tyrion, Rickon will have different endings.

21 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You might be right, but going by their track record, they're about 85% at hitting the major plot points and major characters being in the same situation as they are in the books.

It's true they might kill Ghost for shock value and he lives in the books because he's not that important anymore to Jon since season 2? But I simply do not believe any of the Starks are going to have different outcomes than the books unless GRRM has started trolling HBO to ensure there is a different end.

Well, they never really did anything worth a damn with the direwolves, and I totally see Rover getting killed  not only for the SHOCK factor but also, if that rumour was true, as a way to prop Ramsay up one final time. They will show us Ramsay dying but kinda taking Ghost with him. Because that's what they do, they troll the audience. They don't have the writing chops to create believable and organic twists, so they troll viewers.

As to the rest, I'm not sure. For instance,  how does the maths work here for us to say they've checked 85% of the plot points? I still believe that only very few characters will have the same end books and show. I mean, for some characters that's not even possible anymore; and many others will require the usual resetting and 180o. 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Does anyone keep track of which spoilers from which source turned out to be accurate?  I remember it seems like the vast majority of spoilers for last year were accurate.

So, that does suggest that Rickon and Osha will die and Ghost too.  Awful.  Awful for the books too.

Most of the rumors were false last year.  Many of the speculations that were based on the trailers released turned out to be correct.

"It depends what you mean by the end. In addition to many small I have twelve main characters with twelve different endings, and not all of these will have the same end of TV as in the books. But David and Dan and I have had several discussions around this over the years, and they know the main outlines of the story. So I suppose it is the same person who is going to sit on the iron throne eventually."

http://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2015/06/na-kan-det-bli-darlig-stemning/

Archived