Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

I have wondered about George not writing an episode for the series anymore after the 4th season. Officially to work on the next book, but I wonder how much of him ending support to help in the contentual department might have come about by growing dissatisfaction of D&D's vision. He tried to sneak in stuff, that D&D kept changing. He still appears at the required public events related to the show, imho because he can't truly reveal his true feelings about it. But when you add the knowledge that they wanted to off Barristan even sooner once the actor pointed out that Barristan is still alive and having an impact in the books, and the actors are basically punished for reading the books, you also see they actually abhor the books. At the very least there seems to be very bad feelings between D&D and George behind the screens, and that bad working relationship grew in the course of S1 to S4, while they still had published source material, and before the disastrous S5. The whole ballooning may have less to do with George not having his books out than it has with the contentual working relationship they seemed to put on hold and at times seem at odds even. D&D seem to delight in doing everything opposite of the books in S5, while George seems to enjoy the fact that he thought of some subplot involving at least one character that's dead already in the show and that D&D cannot do anymore. A part of me even wonders whether this strained working relationship has added to George's "procrastination". Initially he may have thought that cooperating with the show might inspire him for the other books, but it going awry may have spurred him on to delay so that he's free again to reclaim his characters and plot for his books. So, I think the worsening of the seasons has less to do with George not having the next books published yet, but a worsening of the working relationship with D&D.

33 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I just realized again Alys is really badass: “You’re not scared?”- The girl smiled in a way that reminded Jon so much of his little sister that it almost broke his heart. “Let him be scared of me.” 

Oh, Jon remembers his little sister. That did not happen in the show

That was a sexy wedding. Mel knows how to throw them. Til his blood is boiling. I think there were sparks between those two (Alys and her wildling). Of course he's a cannibal on the show. And she doesn't exist.

The real GOT Story will always be in my head. the picture in my mind will always be more vivid than the TV Show if it had 24 Episodes every season and a 1 Billion Dollar budget per season. Knowing that i sit back and actually enjoy the TV show. I know im one of the few but it doesn't bother me if they deviate from the original course because it feels like a different telling of the same story.. and i enjoy both.

14 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

That was a sexy wedding. Mel knows how to throw them. Til his blood is boiling. I think there were sparks between those two (Alys and her wildling). Of course he's a cannibal on the show. And she doesn't exist.

If Mel did a wedding in the show, she'd be naked, and it would probably also involve something vaguely evil.

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I think I must reread that wedding scene. :D It is actually annoying what they did with the Thenns because you can say the culture of the Thenns are actually the most similar to the North (I mean they have lords) which would make them easier to integrate into the North. I am still wondering waiting at conflicts between the Free Folk and the North with their different norms and values. (However they might not be that different. The Northern Lords did sort of test Robb first.)

I just loves how she says it is not her who must be scared but him of her:D. (Looking quickly at the wiki) her fierce wildling is quite tender with her. It looks like she tamed him ^_^ Now I want a Alys POV. 

And in the show they are cannibals. To be honest, I am not really annoyed that much with the cannibalism but more like D&D are using that part of the "FThenns" to say look how evil are those wildlings ... while Jon's storyline with wildlings is to establish that the wildlings might be different but they are still also humans :dunno: and not evil guys. (Styr is still a dick IIRC)

17 minutes ago, Davros Seaworth said:

If Mel did a wedding in the show, she'd be naked, and it would probably also involve something vaguely evil.

I agree ;)

dislike Ellaria Sand. She's too over the top and overly dramatic. Doran should have just let Hotah cut her fucking head off when he wanted too. She gets on my nerves.

Speaking of Doran, is Siddig in the show this season, I can't remember?

Unless they send Varys to hang out with him, what's he going to do this year if the Snakes are going to KL?  Or maybe they will stay in Dorne, but then, what would they all do on their own?

Doran is in it, I'm pretty sure, but not for long I dare say. Ellaria Sand in the show is a bad character too, why din't she go for Jaime? The Snakes won't go to Kings Landing, that's too proactive for the show to do.

Talisa still should not have existed, nor should Olly or Myranda or...

3 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Robb's downfall through Tallisa was an insult to his character. Robb was far more honorable than the show made him to be with her. Why? Why was that necessary?

Didn't they think Jeyne wasn't good enough for Robb or some such?

6 minutes ago, Davros Seaworth said:

In the books, it is suspected that Jeyne's mother, who was Maggie the Frog's grandaughter gave her and Robb love potion. For some reason, they wanted Robb to look bad is my thought, so they cut out all of the circumstantial evidence that points to a "honey pot" trap by Sybella Westerling, which if true, makes Robb look less of a douchebag than he did on the show for eloping with the snarky nurse from Volantis.

Just now, Davros Seaworth said:

Doran is in it, I'm pretty sure, but not for long I dare say. Ellaria Sand in the show is a bad character too, why din't she go for Jaime? The Snakes won't go to Kings Landing, that's too proactive for the show to do.

Talisa still should not have existed, nor should Olly or Myranda or...

What else are they going to do if they don't go to King's Landing?  I guess one could go to Meereen?  That leaves 2+Tryst.  If they had done a better job with Dorne and given Siddig more screen time he could anchor that plot on his own, but they didnt'.

2 minutes ago, Davros Seaworth said:

I think they disliked how Robb got to be maried to Jeyne - he was devestated and grieving the news of dead Rickon and Bran. By then he was a "real man" already, and not to cry (in D&D's eyes). They didn't want Robb to have sex out of grief, but out of lust.

Also what's completely nutters about Talissa. The KitN goes on an excursio to protect her when she goes to fetch medical supplies. He's got an army of 10k men, servants and lords, bodyguards... but he plays a nurse's bodyguard. It's nonsense - but again some spiel on "the protective, romantic, real man". They harp about realism... but that is just nutters.

18 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The Thenns being cannibals wasn't really worth ranting over, but it's typical of the show, always looking for a cheap thrill.

Oh, I ranted about them some time back. Just way over the top and evil, with their decorative scarring and pointy teeth and "imma eat your dead papa and eat your dead mama" crap. Not the most "civilized" of the Free Folk, no Magnar of Thenn... just horrible caricatures with their bad "eat crow" jokes.

ETA: by the way, smells of troll in here, another wave of weekend "visits"? 

1 minute ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

In the books, it is suspected that Jeyne's mother, who was Maggie the Frog's grandaughter gave her and Robb love potion. For some reason, the wanted Robb to look bad is my thought, so they cut out all of the circumstantial evidence that points to a "honey pot" trap by Sybella Westerling, which if true, makes Robb look less of a douchebag than he did on the show for eloping with the snarky nurse from Volantis.

No, I don't really think that was it.  I believe they felt that the 'he had to marry her because she was a virgin' would be too old fashioned for the HBO audience and they wanted a more 'modern' take.

I hated everything about Talisa and have ranted about her for years...but I don't think they saw it as harmful to Robb's story, they thought the idea of 'marrying for love' would resonate w/the audience.

What I thought the show should have done was have Jeyne Westering, older, holding out at the Crag, the rest of her family dead in the war, and then they can fall in love, but he would marry her not 'cause I luvs her' he would marry her because otherwise, as a Lannister House, if he left her she would end up dead.  Something more like this  I thought split the difference, it's more adult and modern, but still gives Robb an actually honorable reason to marry her.  They could have put the Crag closer to the RL and talked up the Mountain to make a sense of danger seem realistic.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

What else are they going to do if they don't go to King's Landing?  I guess one could go to Meereen?  That leaves 2+Tryst.  If they had done a better job with Dorne and given Siddig more screen time he could anchor that plot on his own, but they didnt'.

Just sit in Dorne is my guess. They sent Trys to kings Landing, I doubt the Snakes ago unless they can teleport too, i guess.

36 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

In the books, it is suspected that Jeyne's mother, who was Maggie the Frog's grandaughter gave her and Robb love potion. For some reason, they wanted Robb to look bad is my thought, so they cut out all of the circumstantial evidence that points to a "honey pot" trap by Sybella Westerling, which if true, makes Robb look less of a douchebag than he did on the show for eloping with the snarky nurse from Volantis.

I'm not sure love potion is the right word, sound very Harry Potter, but yes, I agree I think, perhaps its because in teh books a female character (Jeyne's mum) has agency and they don't want that as well.

Archived