Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

1 hour ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Agreed. They could simply have given her another name, if the reason was to not confuse. Either they are truly oblivious of the connotations of their choice or they are deliberately signalling their lack of care for the books.

the latter. But also don't want to use the same female name more than once. Because male characters cab be Rob Jon Olly and people still recognis them as different people. But using the same name twice for a female would mean that people recognise them as having a voice on her own and her own personality.and purpose on the plot. Differnt from the other female with the same name

2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I think they deliberately put her out of commission, that's just my take. The only one who will take her now is LF.

Who will take her? That sounds just like them. Actually, Tyrion might take her as well since he's such a great person with a huge heart. After all, he does have a lot of sympathy for broken things like Cersei.

1 minute ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Who will take her? That sounds just like them. Actually, Tyrion might take her as well since he's such a great person with a huge heart. After all, he does have a lot of sympathy for broken things like Cersei.

They tossed that marriage out. And made sure the next one was consummated.

I think they are setting up a showdown with LF. He wants to break her. Will she show her mettle? And I think they are also setting up something with Sandor.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

I think Graves said the reason was it would be too complicated. The D's originally had Tysha in the script, he lobbied to take it out. He wanted them to just kiss and say goodbye.

So then later, Evil Jaime wants to break St. Tyrion in two. The sainted one, on the other hand, has no such feelings for Jaime. How could he? He's the wronged one, always.

Also this is getting to be a thing, having Bronn chide Jaime for not worshipping St. Tyrion. Expect more in season 6...

I'm sure he's right. After all, viewers are used to this dumbed-down oversimplified story, any thing that would require more of an effort would be too complicated. 

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

the latter. But also don't want to use the same female name more than once. Because male characters cab be Rob Jon Olly and people still recognis them as different people. But using the same name twice for a female would mean that people recognise them as having a voice on her own and her own personality.and purpose on the plot. Differnt from the other female with the same name

Using the same name for more than one female would make them even less distinguishable from each other. You need to know who got raped which episode because else you'd miss all the empowerment of that rape. ;)

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

They tossed that marriage out. And made sure the next one was consummated.

I think they are setting up a showdown with LF. He wants to break her. Will she show her mettle? And I think they are also setting up something with Sandor.

I think so too. I was just going on a sarcastic rant. I bet you 2 nonexistent dollars that Tyrion will be mentioned, though.

1 minute ago, ArabellaVidal said:

I think so too. I was just going on a sarcastic rant. I bet you 2 nonexistent dollars that Tyrion will be mentioned, though.

Oh yeah, I knew. My sarcasm detector was on. :lol:  I was just trying to figure out what they were up to.

13 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

For your pleasure and enjoyment (and my self-promotion):

Game of Thrones and the oversexualization of children (NSFW post)

tmblr.co/ZCOaNj22_QC2f

Nice read :-D and so awful what they have done especially if you compare it to Shireen? 

Last season was the only season I didn't have a single favourite scene. Even up until season 4 there were parts I recommended my sister needed to watch because they were good. I just hope in S6 there is just one thing we can watch and say, "well that was surprisingly good". I really hope they don't ruin the Elder Brother, though Dickon (as @JonCon's Red Beard has pointed out) is already ridiculous.

It's so silly that they cut out Jeyne Poole and Arianne and are just making up characters instead who have no depth (despite their delusions). I'm looking at you, Olly/Olyvar. Why even have Sam's family?

9 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Last season was the only season I didn't have a single favourite scene. Even up until season 4 there were parts I recommended my sister needed to watch because they were good. I just hope in S6 there is just one thing we can watch and say, "well that was surprisingly good". I really hope they don't ruin the Elder Brother, though Dickon (as @JonCon's Red Beard has pointed out) is already ridiculous.

It's so silly that they cut out Jeyne Poole and Arianne and are just making up characters instead who have no depth (despite their delusions). I'm looking at you, Olly/Olyvar. Why even have Sam's family?

I had some favorite scenes : Dany and Barry; Shireen and Stannis in the first episodes ... they were however ruined when I found out they were used as a emotional manipulation to suddenly show how awesome certain characters to make the pain greater when they die while they had season time to make us fall in love with them :dunno: Everything is just done for BOOM and SHOCK. 

3 hours ago, TepidHands said:

I just cannot forgive them making such a stink about female characters' names and then leaving in a Bran and a Bronn and a Jon Arryn and Jon Snow and a Robb and a Robert. But considereing their female characters are interchangeable or, in Brienne's case, a lesbian, I guess creatively it makes sense. 

Well, they do that too. They changed Robert Arryn to Robin Arryn,

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

I had some favorite scenes : Dany and Barry; Shireen and Stannis in the first episodes ... they were however ruined when I found out they were used as a emotional manipulation to suddenly show how awesome certain characters to make the pain greater when they die while they had season time to make us fall in love with them :dunno: Everything is just done for BOOM and SHOCK. 

couldn.t agree more. That made me feel sick.

the only reason we has scenes like those two was for the upcoming shock. That,s calles bad writing. In the case of ser Barry it happened in the same episode. Just in case we couldn't remember ho honourable, and friendly he was before these scenes.

and stannis and shireen..............

Stannis and Shireen is extremely manipulative and gross.They may think it served the purpose to shock us, (it was unexpected to see him ordering to burn his daughter after a tender father-daughter moment) and it certainly did.

But it also showed how bad screenwriters they are. Stannis can't burn her daughter (and only heir!!) to win a battle after having decided to show us an unusual moment when we discover he LOVES Shireen more than we have thought until now. We are told He had done everything to save her. 

So, he can't decide to burn her unless the writers also wanted to show us these:

1) Stannis has two personalities (like Dr.Jekyll and Mr Hyde), and they decided to show this to us a few episodes before the character dies, which is completely stupid because it doesn't serve a purpose in the future of the story.

2) Stannis is stupid and very optimistic. He thinks he will gain the battle against Ramsay and his 20 good men (which is impossible because everybody knows that Ramsay is the protagonist and his men have supernatural powers greater than the magic of Melisandre) but also thinks he will have more odds to be king without his heiress. 

Burning Shireen without the tender scene would have been shocking too and more logical.

1 hour ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Well, they do that too. They changed Robert Arryn to Robin Arryn,

Like we said that's still close to Robb and Robert. But no one usually calls him that.

They just dropped the "Sweet" part. They have to take away everything like that. Like Sansa loving songs. Nothing sentimental or sweet, just a bunch of normal ordinary people, places, and things.

27 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Like we said that's still close to Robb and Robert. But no one usually calls him that.

They just dropped the "Sweet" part. They have to take away everything like that. Like Sansa loving songs. Nothing sentimental or sweet, just a bunch of normal ordinary people, places, and things.

That again is one of the interesting areas to compare to other shows. In both Black Sails and Vikings for example, female and male characters can be both tough and show vulnerability. Compare Brienne to Anne Bonney. While the Anne Bonney of the show is far harder than Book Brienne, she is overly sentimental compared to Brienne the Brute of the show.

6 minutes ago, Rapsie said:

That again is one of the interesting areas to compare to other shows. In both Black Sails and Vikings for example, female and male characters can be both tough and show vulnerability. Compare Brienne to Anne Bonney. While the Anne Bonney of the show is far harder than Book Brienne, she is overly sentimental compared to Brienne the Brute of the show.

That's a great comparison.

2 hours ago, Tijgy said:

I agree those were nice scenes, but I refuse to count them because it's their new MO to give X character a little space and a good scene before they're killed off.  Arya's scene w/needle, maybe.  And possibly one of the 5000 scenes of Varys and Tyrion saying the same thing.  Otherwise I got nothing.  I know a lot of people liked the dinner scene at WF, but I couldn't get past Sansa and her eye rolling and making cracks.  And even aside from LF being given the backstory about Rhaegar and Lyanna, that scene was still 'meh' on it's own merit.

Season 4, while I ranted about a lot of things, it still had 'highs' amid the stupid, Season 5, not really any highs.

14 minutes ago, Rapsie said:

True. And since Sweetrobin is part of Sansa's boring story that was cut so she could be raped by Ramsay, he doesn't matter much anyway. It's interesting that they added a part where he's learning to be a knight, but he's failing at it. Even Bronze Yohn makes snide remarks about him. In the books, Sweetrobin keeps that as a dream, and it's, well, sweet. Sansa indulges him, too, and that's sweet. They share a love of stories, which is also, by the way, how she remembers kissing Sandor (they have played that game before). No, just get rid of all of that, people having vulnerability and tender feelings, because it's too corny. They might actually seem, you know, real.

3 hours ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

For your pleasure and enjoyment (and my self-promotion):

Game of Thrones and the oversexualization of children (NSFW post)

Oe9JxBy.png

tmblr.co/ZCOaNj22_QC2f

2 hours ago, Tijgy said:

Nice read :-D and so awful what they have done especially if you compare it to Shireen? 

So true. 

6 hours ago, Gabriele said:

Robb is pretty much Edward IV during the War of the Roses here. The Duke of Warwick had brokered a marriage with the French king's daughter and gained support Edward needed at this stage, but Edward secretly married Elisabeth Woodville (and over time put the rest of her family into important positions). Warwick was so pissed he changed sides and joined the Lancasters.

Though there was no Red Wedding for Edward. He grew into Robert, overweight and womanizing. :)

I saw that video. there are some key omissions that make it look like the Lancastrians had the better claim to the English thrown over the Yorkist when in reality it was the other way around.

Archived