Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

19 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

True. And since Sweetrobin is part of Sansa's boring story that was cut so she could be raped by Ramsay, he doesn't matter much anyway. It's interesting that they added a part where he's learning to be a knight, but he's failing at it. Even Bronze Yohn makes snide remarks about him. In the books, Sweetrobin keeps that as a dream, and it's, well, sweet. Sansa indulges him, too, and that's sweet. They share a love of stories, which is also, by the way, how she remembers kissing Sandor (they have played that game before). No, just get rid of all of that, people having vulnerability and tender feelings, because it's too corny. They might actually seem, you know, real.

Indeed. The reluctance to show any sort of gentleness of feeling actually makes the show less gritty and real (noting that this is only based on Season 1-4, I stopped watching after that).

4 hours ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

For your pleasure and enjoyment (and my self-promotion):

Game of Thrones and the oversexualization of children (NSFW post)

tmblr.co/ZCOaNj22_QC2f

Good article, wench. This is annoying, too: "As far as I know, Sarella isn’t being cast this Season. I won’t comment on the fact the show is willingly ignoring a black girl that is pursuing education (so much to the point of disguise herself as a boy)." But hey, bad pussy.

This article is good, too (nsfw pictures):

Daario and Dany are shown being (semi) naked after sex in later scenes, but that doesn’t help to understand their dynamics: what they call each other during sex? How much they enjoy each others’ touch? This is what makes it personal. They had sex because HBO tells us so and we have to believe they lust after each other. That makes the scene impersonal and it feels more like HBO is just throwing us a male ass because they got tired to be criticised of being called sexist. “Look, ladies! a butt!!”.

Exactly! The whole embracing the dragon thing could have been explored, that was going on with Drogo and Daario. Drogo says Dany's name while they are having sex, and so does Daario. And she loves that. That's her name. That's personal. Embracing sexuality on their own terms is empowering for these women. But they leave all of that out. Of course, Sansa couldn't have fantasies of Sandor, because she was too busy propping up characters she doesn't want. Of course, Brienne couldn't have fantasies of Jaime, because she was too busy entangled in someone else's story, that wasn't even her own.

You touch on all of that here:

Sex is a driven force in human beings, specially young ones. And Martin has made his characters very sexual in a very healthy way: Sansa’s arch is about her having her first sexual feelings about Sandor. Brienne, who is older, is also feeling lust for the first time. There is nothing perverted about these young ladies feeling sexually aroused and acknowledging they have sexual needs they want to share with the men they have chosen. For Jon and Dany, is even an act of rebellion. Dany puts aside her role as Queen when she’s with Daario and Jon betrayed his own views when he was with Ygritte and didn’t mind. This is a sex that empowers them. In GoT, sex is used to shame and humiliate characters and when a situation can’t be exploited, they use no sex at all.

D&D's simplistic idea of complexity is people doing one thing one moment and doing the opposite the next with no rhyme or reason. So Selyse is one moment all for burning Shireen and suddenly is against it and hangs herself. Cersei who is aghast at Joffrey ordered the killing of bastards and then she shrugs at dwarfs being killed because "mistakes will be made".

That's not complexity, that's just lack of consistency in characterization. 

14 minutes ago, Rapsie said:

Indeed. The reluctance to show any sort of gentleness of feeling actually makes the show less gritty and real (noting that this is only based on Season 1-4, I stopped watching after that).

I had the same issue with their characterization of Ygritte. Show Ygritte is full of masculine brashness and bravado and has a dirty mouth but book Ygritte also has a soft, romantic side to her and a keen love of history and song.

Mance is another example of underutilized characterisation. Plus he is also a singer.

Marillion is missing. Instead, we have idiot LF with no plans beyond shoving Lysa out the moon door. In his case he wouldn't need to be established as a character, just be a hapless patsy to the plans/wishes of his betters.

Dillane confirmed Stannis is dead

http://watchersonthewall.com/sky-atlantics-white-walker-and-a-word-from-stephen-dillane/#more-56908

http://www.24heures.ch/culture/cinema/Apres-Game-of-Thrones-Stephen-Dillane-persiste-a-la-TV-dans-Tunnel/story/17017842

I did not know he was one of the leads of Tunnel ... interesting and I love Clémence Poésy :wub:. She is so beautiful. (She is the girl who played Fleur in HP.

She starts fangirling on Stephen from 1:00

(She also played in In Bruges, a film that I completely hate out of principle. You do not film in an iconic city (or even the most iconic) of a certain region (Flanders) and not one word is spoken in the language of that region (Flemish/Dutch) while at the same time some people still speak another language than English (which was French). For the same reason I also dislike Crossing Borders and I did not really managed to see Sense 8Crossing Borders is even worse because what they are doing is completely legally impossible. The ICC has completely no legal jurisdiction on crossing border crimes in Europe. )

Nice comparison of Game of Thrones vs. Outlander:

Outlander understands rape. And as a television series airing in 2015, it’s nearly peerless in that regard. Recently, Game Of Thrones used rape as a trope yet again. And the writers, again, proved they have no idea how to portray rape, especially in its aftermath. Rape narratives are not monolithic, nor are they ever simple, so they are very hard to effectively capture on television. And they should be.

In the season one finale of Outlander, we see, in flashback, how Captain Jack Randall repeatedly raped and brutalized Jamie before Claire, Murtagh, and the other men could break him out of Wentworth. “To Ransom A Man’s Soul” is hardly the first time Outlander shows violent sexual assault, but it’s the most terrifying episode to date, and quite possibly the most difficult episode of television I’ve ever had to get through. But unlike rape scenes on Game Of Thrones, these graphic scenes between Jamie and Randall never come off as sensationalized horror. There’s a sense that the writers have given thought to how this experience ties into the character’s arc. The sadistic Black Jack Randall has been after Jamie all season. It isn’t violence simply for the sake of violence. It’s violence that’s intricately connected to the character, his arc, and even the narratives of other characters on a show.

And the Outlander writers don’t back down from exploring the indelible aftermath of rape. Randall’s rape of Jamie isn’t treated as a linear arc with any type of real resolution. Jamie is physically removed from Wentworth, but he isn’t saved. He still experiences residual trauma in the form of hallucinations and flashbacks. He sees Claire as Randall, just as he eventually started to see Randall as Claire as both the result of Randall’s and then, eventually, as a survival mechanism. Never once is Jamie depicted as a victim in “To Ransom A Man’s Soul.” He’s a survivor; he does what he has to to keep on. Rape is so often conceptualized as violence against a body, but it cuts much deeper than that. It’s violence against a person’s soul, and the Outlander writers deal with the physical, spiritual, and psychological wounds of rape throughout “To Ransom A Man’s Soul.”

Game Of Thrones portrays rape as something that sort of just happens to women. That’s not to say the show completely denies the severity of rape, but as with a lot of the violence on Game Of Thrones, it just doesn’t seem like the writers have given any thought as to why rape exists in this universe or what it means for the characters. Writing about Ramsay’s rape of Sansa in “Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken,” Sonia Saraiya at Salon best characterizes the problem with Game Of Thrones’s portrayal of violence: “A world of violence is not a narrative, it’s just a theater of horror. ...It creates a dissonance of attempting to identify with characters before seeing them suffer almost cartoonish horror in the arena of the show; the violence is titillation.” She continues:

“But rape isn’t mere violence; it’s not a punch to the head or a knife through the ribs. It’s an act that attempts to divorce a person’s soul from their body; to imitate the language of intimacy in what is purely cruelty. It is a kind of murder, except afterwards, the victim can still walk and talk and breathe.”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/outlander-ransom-mans-soul-220126

36 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Dillane confirmed Stannis is dead

http://watchersonthewall.com/sky-atlantics-white-walker-and-a-word-from-stephen-dillane/#more-56908

http://www.24heures.ch/culture/cinema/Apres-Game-of-Thrones-Stephen-Dillane-persiste-a-la-TV-dans-Tunnel/story/17017842

I did not know he was one of the leads of Tunnel ... interesting and I love Clémence Poésy :wub:. She is so beautiful. (She is the girl who played Fleur in HP.

She starts fangirling on Stephen from 1:00

(She also played in In Bruges, a film that I completely hate out of principle. You do not film in an iconic city (or even the most iconic) of a certain region (Flanders) and not one word is spoken in the language of that region (Flemish/Dutch) while at the same time some people still speak another language than English (which was French). For the same reason I also dislike Crossing Borders and I did not really managed to see Sense 8Crossing Borders is even worse because what they are doing is completely legally impossible. The ICC has completely no legal jurisdiction on crossing border crimes in Europe. )

Dillane is absolutely awesome in The Tunnel - even if I thought the show itself was 'meh'. But then he's always brilliant. :)

Do you mean Crossing Lines? The one with Donald Sutherland and Tom Wlaschiha? That show is shiiiiite! I still watch it, because of Sutherland and Wlaschiha. :P

59 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Dillane is absolutely awesome in The Tunnel - even if I thought the show itself was 'meh'. But then he's always brilliant. :)

Do you mean Crossing Lines? The one with Donald Sutherland and Tom Wlaschiha? That show is shiiiiite! I still watch it, because of Sutherland and Wlaschiha. :P

Yeah. (I am just graduated) but my thesis at the end of my law school was on crossborder crime in Europe (and it is my favorite piece of law that exist on the world). So I went totally crazy when I started to watch that show because what they are doing is completely wrong. The ICC is about crimes against humanity, ... not some serial killers. Countries like France would completely get mad if the ICC tries to do that. I feel the series is some criticism on the fact there is not something like the FBI in European Union? I might be different in the later episodes but I thought it really weird to see two French people (without anyone else present) speak to each other in English and not French (in France). They just speak English and not French to each other. :dunno: (yeah, I admit I am quite sensitive if it is about language representation. I think it comes from my years of learning Belgian public law while language is a very sensitive topic in my country). I just believe if you want to show the beauty of Europe and it's different nations and cultures, you must also show the languages. Language is a part of your culture and the show (at least in that one episode I saw) did not do that.

I did not really saw it yet (but I do want to see it) but I believe The Team is a better option. It uses the correct the right legal context (International Joint Investigation) and they speak Danish, German, Flemish and English in it.* (And the Flemish actors are quite popular. Veerle Baetens is considered to be one of our best actresses :D). 

*And also French

And D&D also commit offenses against this. In the brothel they all speak Common Tongue? Yeah, from where would have those whores learned that language without any accent? And they write "Kill the masters"? :dunno:

And this is really sick: http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/140647065752/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-dean-chapman

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

That's a shame.  I have it in my mind that Tom should become a star.

20 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Yeah. (I am just graduated) but my thesis at the end of my law school was on crossborder crime in Europe (and it is my favorite piece of law that exist on the world). So I went totally crazy when I started to watch that show because what they are doing is completely wrong. The ICC is about crimes against humanity, ... not some serial killers. Countries like France would completely get mad if the ICC tries to do that. I feel the series is some criticism on the fact there is not something like the FBI in European Union? I might be different in the later episodes but I thought it really weird to see two French people (without anyone else present) speak to each other in English and not French (in France). They just speak English and not French to each other. :dunno: (yeah, I admit I am quite sensitive if it is about language representation. I think it comes from my years of learning Belgian public law while language is a very sensitive topic in my country). I just believe if you want to show the beauty of Europe and it's different nations and cultures, you must also show the languages. Language is a part of your culture and the show (at least in that one episode I saw) did not do that.

I did not really saw it yet (but I do want to see it) but I believe The Team is a better option. It uses the correct the right legal context (International Joint Investigation) and they speak Danish, German, Flemish and English in it.* (And the Flemish actors are quite popular. Veerle Baetens is considered to be one of our best actresses :D). 

*And also French

And D&D also commit offenses against this. In the brothel they all speak Common Tongue? Yeah, from where would have those whores learned that language without any accent? And they write "Kill the masters"? :dunno:

And this is really sick: http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/140647065752/extra-extra-read-all-about-it-dean-chapman

Yes, language (and sometimes culture) misrepresentation is very common in films about European countries

LOL, they won't care about these "small details" concerning what they do  with the main storyline..

“I wasn’t expecting that and [creators] David Benioff and Dan Weiss as a joke came up to me and told me, ‘Oh, we’ve done you a favour, we’ve written you in a cheeky little sex scene’ and I was like, 'cheers’. That was the last thing I was expecting.“

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/650212/Game-of-Thrones-season-6-Dean-Charles-Chapman-Natalie-Dormer-sex-scene

Oh my. she totally used him, she even dissed him because it was over so fast. That's like with Fansa, the rapist/rape as a love interest/romance dies. 

7 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, language (and sometimes culture) misrepresentation is very common in films about European countries

I think not only about European countries but about countries over the whole world. But I believe it is rather sad because that is just the beauty of Europe. 

My dad said this was a consequence because people do not really subtitles? (and in some countries they dub everything which is totally annoying, but then in Flanders we subtitle a lot, like series from the Netherlands :D

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh my. she totally used him, she even dissed him because it was over so fast. That's like with Fansa, the rapist/rape as a love interest/romance dies. 

Yeah, D&D approached it completely disgusting. And just that photo in the article made me sick. 

7 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think not only about European countries but about countries over the whole world. But I believe it is rather sad because that is just the beauty of Europe. 

My dad said this was a consequence because people do not really subtitles? (and in some countries they dub everything which is totally annoying, but then in Flanders we subtitle a lot, like series from the Netherlands :D

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Yeah, D&D approached it completely disgusting. And just that photo in the article made me sick. 

5 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/650212/Game-of-Thrones-season-6-Dean-Charles-Chapman-Natalie-Dormer-sex-scene

Tbh, after three weddings, she probably was relieved he wasn't dead. I feel a bit for Natalie; fame is a sword without a hilt. 

3 hours ago, Rapsie said:

That again is one of the interesting areas to compare to other shows. In both Black Sails and Vikings for example, female and male characters can be both tough and show vulnerability. Compare Brienne to Anne Bonney. While the Anne Bonney of the show is far harder than Book Brienne, she is overly sentimental compared to Brienne the Brute of the show.

I totally love how Black Sails portrays Anne Bonney! Her background story, how Rackham fits into that, how Max tries to use it for herself, and Anne on the waves of doing something for herself and yet not betray the man she feels she owes her life since he helped her escape from her tormentor as a very young girl. I truly had not expected such a delicate, balanced love story for what seemed originally a side-kick character.

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That's a shame.  I have it in my mind that Tom should become a star.

Couldn't agree more, but it's not gonna be with Crossing Lines... Have you seen any of it?

Archived