Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

3 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Since season 3, fans wanted revenge for the RW and look what we got, No Wyman, Sansa raped, and Stannis raped (metaphorically)

And poor Stannis, he doesn't get to become a 'stronger woman' because of his metaphorical rape.  He just gets to be dead thanks to Brienne!Smash.  His characterization was another atrocity of GOT.  

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

No words. Also the essence of Dany is circles cut in her dress. In her wild imagination that has nothing to do with the actual story, perhaps. But that's not Dany.

Not to keep harping on "Outlander," which irritates some of our fellow ranters, but read what Terry Dressbach says about her work and compare to what Michelle Whatsername says about hers. Tis like night and day. 

1 minute ago, TepidHands said:

Not to keep harping on "Outlander," which irritates some of our fellow ranters, but read what Terry Dressbach says about her work and compare to what Michelle Whatsername says about hers. Tis like night and day. 

That's an example of a good adaptation. Costumes with actual story and historical significance, that at the same time seem like things real people in that world would have worn. Also consistent, you don't see space alien and other oddities tossed in at odd intervals. Difference of night and day.

24 minutes ago, LongRider said:

And poor Stannis, he doesn't get to become a 'stronger woman' because of his metaphorical rape.  He just gets to be dead thanks to Brienne!Smash.  His characterization was another atrocity of GOT.  

And he's deeply in love with Mel, let's not forget. Who says we don't get romance! Just not the book romances. But what they come up with is just as good. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (is three enough to show my contempt, hopefully)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

And he's deeply in love with Mel, let's not forget. Who says we don't get romance!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (are three enough to show my contempt, hopefully!)

Personally I think you need more ^_^ (however there is actually a limit to the number emoticons you can use.)

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

And he's deeply in love with Mel, let's not forget. Who says we don't get romance! Just not the book romances. But what they come up with is just as good. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (is three enough to show my contempt, hopefully.

Oh no, please don't remind me of the bum touch, Very few things in this show make me feel anything any more but whenever I remember that I just want to throw things. Why, D&D, why?!

44 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

That costumer is also particularly proud of the rear window Faux Dany outfit:

Grrrrr.

38 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

No words. Also the essence of Dany is circles cut in her dress. In her wild imagination that has nothing to do with the actual story, perhaps. But that's not Dany.

C'mon now, nothing says 'Dany' like T&A!  The hooker dress said it all.   

25 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

And he's deeply in love with Mel, let's not forget. Who says we don't get romance! Just not the book romances. But what they come up with is just as good. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (is three enough to show my contempt, hopefully)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Ramsay's 20 Good Men said:

Oh no, please don't remind me of the bum touch, Very few things in this show make me feel anything any more but whenever I remember that I just want to throw things. Why, D&D, why?!

M'eh!  Stannis and his 'love' story.  After all, what could be sweeter than making of few shadowbaby love children?  And Stannis sacrificed his own daughter because of his luv for our Meli.   Where oh where is the vomiting emoji?  we need one

1 hour ago, Ramsay's 20 Good Men said:

Not touch, that was a proper groping. They turned Stannis into a leering, groping religious zealot with the brain of a plastic fern. 

http://feministfiction.com/2014/06/18/thoughts-on-her-absence-from-game-of-thrones/

Anyone who’s read the books could tell you that Lady Stoneheart isn’t just “a zombie who kills people.” She’s a reinvention of a character who was staunchly anti-vengeance and who is now consumed by it, indiscriminately killing those she considers her enemies. She is the personification of vengeance, and in becoming so, shows how cruel and pointless and destructive vengeance is.

She also plays a fairly major role in Brienne’s and assumedly Jaime’s plotlines, so that may be another reason to include her.

The fact that someone speaking for the show can call Lady Stoneheart “a zombie who kills people” is another clear demonstration of the show’s complete lack of understanding of nuance when it comes to characterization. In the books, almost every character is emotionally and morally complicated. They’re more than they first appear. But in the show, everyone is reduced to the the most straightforward tropes. Tyrion is the surprising hero of our tale. Brienne is the tough warrior woman. Catelyn was the nagging mother, and as supportive of war as anyone else, while Robb was the bold young hero. Talisa was the Not Like Other Girls love interest. And on, and on, and on. Things are exactly as they appear on the surface.

In this context, it’s unsurprising that Lady Stoneheart seems unnecessary. The Freys haven’t been mentioned this season, and all of the Red Wedding drama is kind of old news. Plus they already have their “seemingly mindless killer zombies” in the form of the White Walkers. They don’t need two sets of the undead.

And perhaps, in the context of the show, Alex Graves is right. Perhaps Lady Stoneheart would just be “a zombie who kills people.” The tragic contrast between the living Catelyn Stark and the reanimated Lady Stoneheart can’t exist on the show, because the show’s version of Catelyn was already keen on vengeance. And as the show didn’t really treat Catelyn as a protagonist by the end, but as a smaller part of Robb’s story, her return is still shocking but less emotionally impactful. We were never taught to care much about this woman when she was alive. Why then should we be expected to care about the changes she’s undergone now she’s dead?

They didn't even know. They took it from a line in Cersei's chapter.

Here's a quote: "I bow to the wisdom of Your High Holiness,” she said, “but if I might beg for just one drop of the Mother’s mercy, I ... it has been so long since I last saw my son, please ..."

Sorry, I've been behind thanks to a busy work month, and I just wanted to add this on the whole "major points are the same vs what the hell are you smoking" argument.

The North:  Missing vengeful Northern Lords, missing a competent Stannis (even if we say that some of the things he does are minor).  Missing Asha, missing any real sense of urgency and desperation in Stannis' situation.  Missing anything like Hugo Wull or Wyman Manderly's speeches that are among the best in the books for me.  Added Sansa and Littlefinger in the mix in an illogical way.  Other than raw geography for the Boltons, Theon, Theon's manhood, and arguably Stannis, NOTHING IS THE SAME.

The Wall:  Missing any sort of subjectivity in Jon's decisions.  Missing Jon's actual examples of leadership, and Jon's navigation of the Wall's politics (The f***ing titular Game of Thrones after all).  Missing any real conflict in dealing with Stannis.  Missing majority of Sam's growth.  Missing a large direwolf.  Missing Mance's plot, any real negotiation with the wildlings.  Missing Jon's conflict over taking Winterfell.  Added, attempted rape (which more than other situations, at least there's supposed to be a bunch of rapers there), Sam developing as a punching bag.  Other than raw geography, and the broadest brush of Jon being the Lord Commander (but not his actions as such), it fails horribly.  

Kings Landing:  Added the homophobic, anti sex, prohibitionist faith who are bigger thugs than Brienne the Brute, who CERSEI PLACES INTO POWER NOT OUT OF GREED/STUPIDITY, BUT OUT OF COMPLETELY "WOMANLY" (*note sarcasm*) CATTINESS AGAINST MARGERY.  Added actual manipulation by Margery of Tommen against Cersei, not counting the age up.  Complete white washing of Cersei.  During his time there, complete rewrite of Jaime's character.  We have geography the same, as well as Lena Headey Body Double's walk, the brief introduction of Ser Robert Strong to those who know what's going on.  Largely different.  

Mereen:  Complete removal of 98 of Dany's 99 problems.  No slavery for Tyrion.  Ser Barristan dying in the streets instead of leading a coup, resulting in Dany feeding an innocent man to her dragons.  Added the Break the Wheel stupidity.  Removed the unsullied being competent (I seriously think random high school/college students who work out regularly could be more effective after a week of going against each other with broomsticks for training).  Dany does at least face the hard choice of reinstating the fighting pits she abhors in an effort for peace.  No Quaithe, or any hints of the prophecy she worries about.  

Aegon & Co:  Missing

Riverlands: Missing

The Greyjoy brothers:  Missing (although may be partially added).  

Dorne.  No Arriane, Quentin, or any evidence of scheming against the Lannisters outside of a petty revenge plot against Myrcella.  Completely ignores the theme of staying away from unnecessary war for the sake of the children.  Basically, "Bad Pussy" is one of the changes I'm less pissed about.

So, what exactly is supposed to be the same?

Complete aside, anyone else laughing at the NFL commercials that go with the whole "NFL is family" theme by suggesting that the reason every one of the kids in the commercial exists is because of celbratory super bowl fan win sex?

9 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

They didn't even know. They took it from a line in Cersei's chapter.

Here's a quote: "I bow to the wisdom of Your High Holiness,” she said, “but if I might beg for just one drop of the Mother’s mercy, I ... it has been so long since I last saw my son, please ..."

Didnt they know? Or did they pick Mother's Mercy as [yet] another way to troll the audience? Like, it's LSH, we're getting LSH! 

26 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Didnt they know? Or did they pick Mother's Mercy as [yet] another way to troll the audience? Like, it's LSH, we're getting LSH! 

Could be! :lol: And hey, aren't we all just hoping and praying Catelyn gets a chance to redeem herself via LSH for hating Jon Snow?

Archived