What is wrong with self portraits/selfies ?

Gneisenau

It seems it is okay to create pictures admiring someone else's beauty, but creating a picture to admire your own beauty and you are considered self centered. Why are other people allowed to admire your body but you are not ?

Two reasons for not doing selfies. The first is that you are not that good looking and a mediocre photographer too.

The second is that the nature of cellphone cameras is that they distort closeup images. Stuff that is closer to the lens, such as noses, gets bigger than stuff farther away that shrinks.

Pffft. I don't take selfies ALL THE TIME but when I look cute I like to document it lmao and it's nice when people are nice to you I don't see why there is SUCH a HUGE aversion to any kind of 'attention seeking' like it's a great evil to seek any sort of admiration or affection from fellow human beings lol 

Mostly I get really sick of my pictures so I like to change them (profile pic) at least once a month or so and I like to do nice makeup. Most of the time I look like crap hahaha. 

10 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I've never seen selfies as vanity (or a comment on personal beauty or whatever). I think of them more as a sort of visual record.

Yeah - I like this !!! If my makeup looked particularly good one day, or if I drastically changed my hair then I like to document it. Sometimes I like going through my pictures just to see how completely different I look. 

Most of the general distaste for selfies comes from a. the sheer quantity of them and b. the extremely inappropriate times they are sometimes taken. That notorious one at a funeral comes to mind.

The only time I ever take selfies is when I want to actually show off about something else in the picture. The selfie is just the excuse to show off my new 65 inch TV in the background or I just happen to take a selfie while on top of some awesome mountain peak or Caribbean Island adventure. :)

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Pffft. I don't take selfies ALL THE TIME but when I look cute I like to document it lmao and it's nice when people are nice to you I don't see why there is SUCH a HUGE aversion to any kind of 'attention seeking' like it's a great evil to seek any sort of admiration or affection from fellow human beings lol 

Mostly I get really sick of my pictures so I like to change them (profile pic) at least once a month or so and I like to do nice makeup. Most of the time I look like crap hahaha. 

And your selfies are great, don't listen to the grumps in this thread!

I tend to take them either when I'm feeling great about myself and want to share that happiness or I'm feeling crap and looking for some affirmation from other girls online.  Contrary to popular belief there are an awful lot of wonderfully supportive women online and if you are in a group like that it can really make a dramatic difference on your day.

I think I just don't like photo-taking culture in general these days.  There is always this feeling that any event becomes all about the documentation of that event rather than the event itself.  Everything's a photo op.  I start feeling like I'm living on a pinterest/instagram/facebook set half the time.  

It used to merely annoy me, I'd be on a lovely hike and my friends would want to stop constantly to take this pic or that, often selfie style.  Like, let's just fucking hike.  Or we'd get ready to go out and they'd want to take pics of all the make up and hair and clothes and I just want to get dressed without my body or face being put on public display.  Eventually it started to really piss me off.  My nieces and nephews had been taught to pose every few minutes that it became habit and they spent half of their waking hours posing for pics.  I notice it a lot with kids and it makes me mad. 

I miss the days when photos were something precious.  

8 hours ago, maarsen said:

Two reasons for not doing selfies. The first is that you are not that good looking and a mediocre photographer too.

The second is that the nature of cellphone cameras is that they distort closeup images. Stuff that is closer to the lens, such as noses, gets bigger than stuff farther away that shrinks.

First of all, who decided that selfies are ok for good-looking people only?

Second, who gets to decide who is good-looking enough to post selfies and what authority issues selfie licenses?

Third, being not so good at something is the first step to being good at it.

And finally, maybe the whole point of a selfie is to capture such a perspective instead of some that appear in other types of photography?

Just to point out that I'm not a selfie aficionado (a few of my friends were messing with me for not posting any photo of myself to Instagram a while ago) though I do post an occasional selfie to Instagram now.

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Nothing.  But posting them constantly does come across as a tad narcissistic.

I agree with this. I think we should clear the difference between taking selfies and posting them online. If somebody wants to take them for their own documentation or a iphone screensaver or whatever, it is none of my business. I do not think it is necessary to be posting them for everybody else to see though. (Myself, I almost never post a picture of myself, for example on fb, and do not take selfies. If there are things people are interested in seeing about me, I am sure I have other things to show than my ugly face.)

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I think I just don't like photo-taking culture in general these days.  There is always this feeling that any event becomes all about the documentation of that event rather than the event itself.  Everything's a photo op.  I start feeling like I'm living on a pinterest/instagram/facebook set half the time. 

This ... or even more, filming things like concerts and performances. I am always wondering what people who want to film a whole concert even get from it. You cannot really listen to it if you are taking care of how you are holding your phone/camera, but the recording you get from it is probably not even going to be good - if you want a good recording, you will probably be able to see it on TV/internet/DVD afterwards. Same with pictures. The times I have the most fun are sometimes the times I have the least pictures of because when I am having fun, I just do not think about having to take pictures.

Nothing inherently wrong with selfies; but the display of them is most certainly a vanity thing.

Then it's up to the individual to make a judgement on whether "vanity" is a good thing, a bad thing, a neutral thing, a bad thing in excess or whatever else.

Personally, I find public vanity to be distasteful, but that's personal, not absolute.

Not selfies, but I generally hate people taking photos in a restaurant.  I see poor pictures of my food all over social media. Often my dishes end up not looking as nice as they should. 

Also taking pictures of your food at a restaurant often looks tacky.  Just eat your God damned food. Many dishes are in fact gorgeous.  But, when I see people snapping pics at a Michelin star restaurant or a diner I get perturbed.

I do however take a lot of photos of my own food before I eat it or send it out to a guest. One this allows me to share with friends my work but also have quality pictures for my restaurant to use on social media. 

Archived