WWE Royal Rumble

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I haven't watched wrestling in 10+ years, but was curious enough to read the thread. I cannot believe HHH and Chris Jericho are still at it. Are they fighting with canes?

Well, Jericho is 45 and Triple H is 46, which still makes them younger or the same age as:

The Undertaker (50), who has wrestled multiple times this year.
Kane (48), who is a regular performer and had a world title shot a few months back.
Sting (56), who wrestled a couple of times this past year and had a world title shot over the summer.
Goldust (46), who is a regular performer.

So I mean, yeah, they're up there in years, but both of them are still competent in the ring (Triple H moves about as well as he did ten years ago, to be honest), much more so than the Undertaker or Kane, and even then some slightly younger guys like Big Show and Mark Henry who can barely move any more.

Aside from that, Triple H winning the title was an obvious short-term move by the WWE.  With Cena, Orton, Rollins, and so many other guys either out with injury or unable/unwilling to compete (the Rock, Batista, Austin, HBK, probably Sting, etc), Triple H is one of the biggest names they can throw out at Wrestlemania to main event the show.  The only other guys on that level right now are Brock Lesnar and the Undertaker, and they presumably want to keep Brock out of the world title picture because, to be quite honest, he doesn't need a belt to draw.  So Triple H gets the belt, main events Wrestlemania, and then drops the belt to Roman Reigns, all as part of Vince's absolutely desperate plan to get Reigns over.

5 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Roman Reigns will not get over.

I don't disagree with that.  I think that the WWE is going to have to call an audible at Wrestlemania for the third year in a row out of fear of the main event getting booed out of the building.  However, it's very obvious that everything that the WWE has done for the past several months (starting right before Rollins got hurt...rumor has it that Reigns was slated to win the title from Rollins at Survivor Series before Rollins blew out his knee) has been centered around getting Roman Reigns over, to the detriment of basically everyone else.  Cena getting hurt probably didn't help things (and in fact probably led to Triple H winning the title last week), because now they don't even have him to fall back on.

It's a shame, too, because the WWE has a lot of really talented guys that they just refuse to push because Vince wants Roman to be his next John Cena.  Dean Ambrose should be the guy getting the massive push, because he's already more over with the fans than Roman will likely ever be.  Kevin Owens would be another great choice.  He's the best pure heel in the WWE right now, and one of their top five in-ring workers to boot.  AJ Styles is another guy that could step right in and contend for titles, but I'm willing to bet he'll end up on the mid-card to keep him away from stealing Reigns' thunder.  Bray Wyatt is another name that comes to mind that is totally over but never gets a real push.

And that's not even including the guys that are former world champs or were totally over in recent history that the WWE isn't doing shit with like Barrett, Del Rio (who, to be fair, has been pretty awful since his return), Miz, Cesaro (currently injured, but still), Sandow, Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, etc.  It's just baffling to me that the WWE has all these talented guys and just no clue how to work them into programs, even when they held world title belts within the past five years.  Or how they just dump successful gimmicks for absolutely no reason like they've done with Bad News Barrett and Mizdow.  

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Well, Jericho is 45 and Triple H is 46, which still makes them younger or the same age as:

The Undertaker (50), who has wrestled multiple times this year.
Kane (48), who is a regular performer and had a world title shot a few months back.
Sting (56), who wrestled a couple of times this past year and had a world title shot over the summer.
Goldust (46), who is a regular performer.

So I mean, yeah, they're up there in years, but both of them are still competent in the ring (Triple H moves about as well as he did ten years ago, to be honest), much more so than the Undertaker or Kane, and even then some slightly younger guys like Big Show and Mark Henry who can barely move any more.

Aside from that, Triple H winning the title was an obvious short-term move by the WWE.  With Cena, Orton, Rollins, and so many other guys either out with injury or unable/unwilling to compete (the Rock, Batista, Austin, HBK, probably Sting, etc), Triple H is one of the biggest names they can throw out at Wrestlemania to main event the show.  The only other guys on that level right now are Brock Lesnar and the Undertaker, and they presumably want to keep Brock out of the world title picture because, to be quite honest, he doesn't need a belt to draw.  So Triple H gets the belt, main events Wrestlemania, and then drops the belt to Roman Reigns, all as part of Vince's absolutely desperate plan to get Reigns over.

Wait... Goldust is a regular performer?!!?  He was terrible 15 years ago!!!!  Does he still do that weird trans-sexual gimmick?

5 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Yes and they dropped the ball horribly with Cody Rhodes who is now Stardust.

It sounds like he might be going back to Cody in the near future, which would be good for him and the company.  Cody's a great in-ring guy and solid on the mic.  He should be much more featured than he is.  He was damn near a main event guy a few years ago when he was teaming with DiBiase.  I guess that just makes him another example of the WWE totally wasting talent in the name of keeping one guy (Cena, and now Reigns) on top.

What the WWE needs more than anything right now is a brand split.  Make Raw and Smackdown two separate brands and rosters again so that they can once again build stars on Smackdown.  Also, let Triple H book Smackdown like he does NXT so we actually get some competence and the right guys get pushed.  Let Vince continue to run Raw into the ground if he wants.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

HHH vs. Reigns at Mania...what a travesty. This has to be one of the worst main events in recent memory.

It's going to be really funny when 100 thousand fans are cheering for Triple H instead of Reigns, though.

The only way they can salvage this now is if they turn Reigns heel and have Vince screw over Triple H.  That's the only outcome that's going to work at this point.  

1 hour ago, briantw said:

It's going to be really funny when 100 thousand fans are cheering for Triple H instead of Reigns, though.

The only way they can salvage this now is if they turn Reigns heel and have Vince screw over Triple H.  That's the only outcome that's going to work at this point.  

But since this would make sense, it won't happen. Fastlane was a pretty shit ppv, and leaves me somewhat thinking that WM has the chance to really disappoint.

10 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

But since this would make sense, it won't happen. Fastlane was a pretty shit ppv, and leaves me somewhat thinking that WM has the chance to really disappoint.

Yeah, the WWE generally isn't in the business of making sense.  If they were, Ambrose would have held a world title by now.  He is, after all, the most over man in the company despite being booked like absolute shit for the past year.  They basically tied him to Reigns and hoped that some of Dean's overness and charisma would rub off on him.  That didn't happen.  I predicted that Ambrose was solely in the match last night to eat the pin, and I was proven to be totally right.

Given that fans are refusing to accept him as a face, the smart move would be to turn Reigns heel, and I honestly have no idea why they haven't already.  They've had loads of opportunities.  It could still happen at Wrestlemania, though.  Reigns allies with Vince, Vince screws Triple H out of the title, and Reigns becomes the new face of the corporation while Triple H becomes an actual face.  And Triple H as a face makes perfect sense right now, because most of us like him anyway due to him giving us NXT, which is basically the WWE but booked by people who know what the fuck they're doing.

But you're probably right that they won't do it.  Vince seems like he's going to force Roman Reigns on us come hell or high water, and the tone deafness of Reigns' win last night seems to prove that.  It sucks, too, because that match was actually really fun until the abrupt ending.  I was pretty much resigned to Roman winning, but I thought the ending came far too soon and out of nowhere.  Reigns just shrugged off half a dozen chair shots and won with fifteen minutes still remaining before 11:00pm.  It was a very "Super Cena" victory.

A lot of the other matches were booked like shit too, though.  Jericho kicking out of Styles' finisher made no sense.  You don't bring in the best indie guy in the world and then devalue his finisher after a month.  The Wyatts losing made zero sense either, especially given that their opponents were two old guys and Ryback, who no one cares about any more.  I don't know how many times the WWE has cut the balls off of Bray Wyatt at this point, but it's just sad to see one of the better heels in the business getting shoved aside time after time.

Yeah Ambrose is stuck as second fiddle and that's unfortunately not changing anytime soon, especially if they put him against Lesnar at WM. All they could do is have him take an ass whipping and keep getting back up...but that was what Reigns did last year. He's stuck in a tough spot. There really are no feuds established going forward that are unresolved so they are going to have to develop the entire card over the next 5 weeks. Plenty of time to develop some new angles but I just have a feeling that instead we'll get more of the same. Can't wait for Kalisto vs Del Rio again...

7 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yeah Ambrose is stuck as second fiddle and that's unfortunately not changing anytime soon, especially if they put him against Lesnar at WM. All they could do is have him take an ass whipping and keep getting back up...but that was what Reigns did last year. He's stuck in a tough spot. There really are no feuds established going forward that are unresolved so they are going to have to develop the entire card over the next 5 weeks. Plenty of time to develop some new angles but I just have a feeling that instead we'll get more of the same. Can't wait for Kalisto vs Del Rio again...

Or another entry in the Owens/Ziggler Best of 500 series.

It's insane to me that Owens hasn't even been in the WWE for a year and I'm already sick of watching him fight Dolph Ziggler.  They've really driven that matchup into the ground.  It's a shame that the WWE has so many talented performers, yet they keep forcing us to watch the same pairs of people face off every damn week.

Archived