WWE Royal Rumble

Jace, Extat

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I wonder if Shane is still up for the big bumps he used to take.  You know there is going to be some crazy spots. I wonder if Taker will retire next Mania against Cena?

It wouldn't be a Shane match without some ridiculous bumps.

And yeah, Cena will probably retire Taker.  Because why give that sort of push to a guy who actually could use it when you can give it to the one guy who absolutely doesn't need it?

Just finished watching Raw.  I DVR it because I find there's generally only about an hour worth of content actually worth watching, if that, so wasting three hours watching it live is a massive waste of time.  I have to admit that I was dying laughing as Triple H beat the holy hell out of Roman Reigns to massive cheers from the crowd.  Who would have thought that Triple H would be going into a world title match in 2016 as the fucking face?  It's like bizarro world out there.

There was legitimately a "TRIPLE H" chant.  In 2016.  And not at in NXT event.  He gave Reigns the pedigree onto the steel steps and the crowd chanted "ONE MORE TIME!"  He held up his title belt and the crowd went wild!  What is going on here?  This desperation by the WWE to get Reigns over and the extent to which it is backfiring is just enthralling.  I honestly can't wait to see the crowd absolutely crucify Reigns at Wrestlemania.  It's going to be incredible.

I will say that Fastlane was actually pretty good up until the last hour. The six man had a lame ending but wasn't bad, the women's matches were all quite good, and holy shit that Jericho Styles match was a killer match. I usually blame the bullshit with Reigns on creative, because there is no way Roman has enough pull to be the one behind this, but holy shit almost powering out of the Kamira lock and then no selling three fucking chair shots really pissed me off.

As for last night's RAW, there is no way that Shane actually wrestles Taker, Vince or Steph are gonna send someone to take out Shane in an attempt to ruin his plains, and that will give Shane an oppertunity to bring in a stand-in, hopefully someone who we aren't going to see coming. Too bad they are using Nakamira at Takeover Dallas, that would be great to see him come out as Shane's surprise fighter.

5 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I will say that Fastlane was actually pretty good up until the last hour. The six man had a lame ending but wasn't bad, the women's matches were all quite good, and holy shit that Jericho Styles match was a killer match. I usually blame the bullshit with Reigns on creative, because there is no way Roman has enough pull to be the one behind this, but holy shit almost powering out of the Kamira lock and then no selling three fucking chair shots really pissed me off.

As for last night's RAW, there is no way that Shane actually wrestles Taker, Vince or Steph are gonna send someone to take out Shane in an attempt to ruin his plains, and that will give Shane an oppertunity to bring in a stand-in, hopefully someone who we aren't going to see coming. Too bad they are using Nakamira at Takeover Dallas, that would be great to see him come out as Shane's surprise fighter.

Any chance it is Sting?

Just now, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Any chance it is Sting?

I hope not, Sting got his shit absolutely wrecked by Rollins, and I don't think Sting is really in any shape to wrestle, after all, he just had the neck surgery in December as a result of what happened at Night of Champions. As cool as it would theoretically be, I don't want to watch two borderline geriatrics sit in rest holds for half the match.

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I hope not, Sting got his shit absolutely wrecked by Rollins, and I don't think Sting is really in any shape to wrestle, after all, he just had the neck surgery in December as a result of what happened at Night of Champions. As cool as it would theoretically be, I don't want to watch two borderline geriatrics sit in rest holds for half the match.

True. I wonder if they will promote a new talent or bring in a big name...or maybe Super Cena miraculously comes back in time?

15 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

True. I wonder if they will promote a new talent or bring in a big name...or maybe Super Cena miraculously comes back in time?

When does the WWE ever promote new talent?  That's basically the reason they're struggling right now.  The only two guys who are booked consistently strong among the full-timers are Cena and Reigns.  Everyone else gets stuck in mid-card purgatory trading wins and losses with each other so no one ever gets too over.  Even when they gave Rollins the belt for almost a year they booked him like an absolute bitch for his entire title reign.  

By the way, the road to Wrestlemania isn't going to do Roman Reigns any favors.  There are Raw stops in Chicago, Philly, and Brooklyn.  Yikes.  That's going to be brutal.

Possible post-WM hint off of ticket websites for wwe shows

Spoiler

Raw is being labeled as Monday Night Raw vs WWE. Could just be a mistake but if not it seems Shane gets control of Raw and maybe Vince/Steph run Smackdown as another brand split takes place?

16 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Possible post-WM hint off of ticket websites for wwe shows

Reveal hidden contents

Raw is being labeled as Monday Night Raw vs WWE. Could just be a mistake but if not it seems Shane gets control of Raw and maybe Vince/Steph run Smackdown as another brand split takes place?

I've read that they are contemplating another brand split, and I think it's a fantastic idea.  A brand split effectively allows them to build up new stars on Smackdown, which they did successfully for years back in the mid-2000s.  Without the initial brand split, we likely never would have seen champs like Edge, Benoit, Guerrero, and several others, and it allowed them to build up stars like Cena, Orton, and Batista.  The WWE has so much talent right now, but their insistence on pushing only Roman Reigns has led to everyone else trading wins in a meaningless mid-card.  Giving a bunch of those guys a shot on Smackdown to actually get pushed like stars would go a long way toward building up new stars, something the WWE has struggled with since they abolished the brand split to begin with.

It'll be interesting to see what direction they do if Shane does win at Wrestlemania.  Does he turn heel and unite with Vince?  Does he become the face manager at war with the Authority?  My personal favorite scenario would be Shane bringing in the Bullet Club, with Gallows and Anderson helping him win his hell in a cell match, then aligning with Vince to screw Triple H over in the main event.  You'd then have a Shane-led heel stable with Reigns as the world champ, Balor (who would get called up the Raw after 'Mania) as an immediate mid-card contender, and Gallows/Anderson in the tag picture.  That would then open the door for Triple H to lead an NXT invasion as the face faction.

I'd love to see Owens and Zayn reunite for a while in the tag picture, only for Owens to inevitably turn on Zayn and join up with Shane's faction.  

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I've read that they are contemplating another brand split, and I think it's a fantastic idea.  A brand split effectively allows them to build up new stars on Smackdown, which they did successfully for years back in the mid-2000s.  Without the initial brand split, we likely never would have seen champs like Edge, Benoit, Guerrero, and several others, and it allowed them to build up stars like Cena, Orton, and Batista.  The WWE has so much talent right now, but their insistence on pushing only Roman Reigns has led to everyone else trading wins in a meaningless mid-card.  Giving a bunch of those guys a shot on Smackdown to actually get pushed like stars would go a long way toward building up new stars, something the WWE has struggled with since they abolished the brand split to begin with.

It'll be interesting to see what direction they do if Shane does win at Wrestlemania.  Does he turn heel and unite with Vince?  Does he become the face manager at war with the Authority?  My personal favorite scenario would be Shane bringing in the Bullet Club, with Gallows and Anderson helping him win his hell in a cell match, then aligning with Vince to screw Triple H over in the main event.  You'd then have a Shane-led heel stable with Reigns as the world champ, Balor (who would get called up the Raw after 'Mania) as an immediate mid-card contender, and Gallows/Anderson in the tag picture.  That would then open the door for Triple H to lead an NXT invasion as the face faction.

I'd love to see Owens and Zayn reunite for a while in the tag picture, only for Owens to inevitably turn on Zayn and join up with Shane's faction.  

I'd almost say they have to keep Shane as a face, mainly because while fans can get behind Vince or HHH as faces, I find it hard to see people getting behind Stephanie, she's just that awful on the mic which tailors her to get negative responses from the crowd. 

Now this out of left field, but if they could pull off Vince and Steph screwing over HHH and have Shane try to help him, then you have huge heel heat with Vince, Steph, and Reigns as champ together and Shane/HHH as way over faces. And then you bring up the Bullet Club and NXT guys with HHH/Shane as you mentioned, they'll have even more fan support starting off, which may be needed as the average fan probably has no clue what the Bullet Club is. They have a chance to really shake things up and make it interesting again if done properly.

5 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I'd almost say they have to keep Shane as a face, mainly because while fans can get behind Vince or HHH as faces, I find it hard to see people getting behind Stephanie, she's just that awful on the mic which tailors her to get negative responses from the crowd. 

Now this out of left field, but if they could pull off Vince and Steph screwing over HHH and have Shane try to help him, then you have huge heel heat with Vince, Steph, and Reigns as champ together and Shane/HHH as way over faces. And then you bring up the Bullet Club and NXT guys with HHH/Shane as you mentioned, they'll have even more fan support starting off, which may be needed as the average fan probably has no clue what the Bullet Club is. They have a chance to really shake things up and make it interesting again if done properly.

I wouldn't say Steph is awful on the mic.  She's phenomenal on the mic.  That's why people hate her so much.  She knows exactly what to say to turn a crowd against her and has for years.

In my scenario, I have to assume that she'd either take a big backseat to the war between Triple H and Shane/Vince or just be written off TV for a while.  She's just been around for too long, and I think it's time for her to take a break just like Vince did.  Triple H is a little more versatile, and he wouldn't really be the star of the show in an NXT invasion anyway, as he wouldn't be competing in the ring most of the time.  They could easily pull some sort of swerve where Triple H is still in charge of NXT despite being "fired" from the WWE, and thus he starts bringing up his NXT guys to the main roster to work against Shane.

On 2/23/2016 at 6:04 PM, GrimTuesday said:

Catching up on my Jericho/Becky Lynch and just watched the first Jericho vs Styles match on the 25th of JAN (only post-Rumble episode of RAW on the WWE Network, so I guess I'll have to youtube the rest).

Anyways, that Jericho vs Styles match was pretty great. Chris is old and gets winded after one move these days, but he can still put 'em together for a couple of vintage Jericho moments. Styles is now on my radar because he was a little sloppy (could have been Chris' fault), but that was a very technical match with a lot of cool counters and counter-counters.

Anyone know why the RAW updates are so slow on the WWE network?

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Catching up on my Jericho/Becky Lynch and just watched the first Jericho vs Styles match on the 25th of JAN (only post-Rumble episode of RAW on the WWE Network, so I guess I'll have to youtube the rest).

Anyways, that Jericho vs Styles match was pretty great. Chris is old and gets winded after one move these days, but he can still put 'em together for a couple of vintage Jericho moments. Styles is now on my radar because he was a little sloppy (could have been Chris' fault), but that was a very technical match with a lot of cool counters and counter-counters.

Anyone know why the RAW updates are so slow on the WWE network?

Probably some sort of exclusivity deal with USA. Honestly, I don't have the network, so I don't know (Not gonna give Vince my $9.99 until the product is actually worth paying for, not when I can use other methods).

Since I'm here, might as well weigh in on what is going on the last couple RAWs. Boy has this shit been boring. Trips is more over than Roman, and people are going apeshit for Dean, I'm not sure he could be more over. Styles and Jericho teaming up is ok, but I'd obviously rather see Styles going after Owens for the IC title belt (or barring that, having Sami Zayne do it, with his match at Takeover Dallas be his last huraah in NXT). They really need someone interesting for the New Day to go against, since they've become a bit boring through no fault of their own since they have basically been carrying the tag division since Tyson Kidd went out and killed Kiddsaro (still bothered by the fact that WWE didn't use the fastlane segment with Edge and Christian as a way to introduce Enzo and Cass, and have them come after New Day). Beyond that, no clue what they are doing with Kalisto and the US championship, especially now they have put him with the albatross that is Sincara. I'd also like to take a moment to lament the fact that Rusev is being wasted big time. The guy is great in the ring, and surprisingly good on the mic. It's almost as if that stupid love triangle feud with Ziggler was a bad idea from the outset... but I'm sure nobody saw that coming from a fucking mile away.

Now watching the Raw Feb 15th, and I've loved every time Jericho and Styles have been in the ring together. I've wanted Jericho to adopt a 'protege' and be his mentor/ occasional partner for a couple years now. That was my first impression of what might happen after I watched the post-Rumble match, and I'm starting to believe that's what's gonna happen and I love it.

If Jericho 'teaches' Styles the codebreaker/ lionsault/ lion tamer on his way out, Styles immediately becomes my new favorite.

Their tag team competition against the Social Rejects was absolute gold.

9 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I'd also like to take a moment to lament the fact that Rusev is being wasted big time. The guy is great in the ring, and surprisingly good on the mic. It's almost as if that stupid love triangle feud with Ziggler was a bad idea from the outset... but I'm sure nobody saw that coming from a fucking mile away.

Rusev was just another in a long line of victims of John Cena's shovel.  He's buried more guys than the Undertaker at this point.  Most of the guys (Barrett, Wyatt, Rusev, just to name a few) never recovered.  Owens might be an outlier, but that remains to be seen.  Right now he's stuck in mid-card purgatory like everyone else, and has been trading wins with the fucking Big Show.  

Ugh...WWE's booking is just so depressing sometimes.  They have all these amazing in-ring guys, and instead of facing them off against each other we get some of the most boring goddamn matches imaginable.  The fact that we have to suffer through Big Show, Mark Henry, and Kane matches in 2016 when talented younger guys like Barrett and Sandow can't even get on fucking TV is an abomination.

Actually, Barrett's booking may be the most baffling thing I've ever seen.  The guy seems to be the complete package by WWE standards.  He's good on the mic, good in the ring, and has that look that you know Vince loves.  I honestly don't understand why they never pushed him properly.  Instead, he's about to leave the company because of how horribly they've utilized him.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

Actually, Barrett's booking may be the most baffling thing I've ever seen.  The guy seems to be the complete package by WWE standards.  He's good on the mic, good in the ring, and has that look that you know Vince loves.  I honestly don't understand why they never pushed him properly.  Instead, he's about to leave the company because of how horribly they've utilized him.

I was supremely disappointed Barrett never took off. He was a perfect candidate for that protege to Jericho I was talking about earlier, plus he was literally his protege on NXT(?).

6 hours ago, briantw said:

Rusev was just another in a long line of victims of John Cena's shovel.  He's buried more guys than the Undertaker at this point.  Most of the guys (Barrett, Wyatt, Rusev, just to name a few) never recovered.  Owens might be an outlier, but that remains to be seen.  Right now he's stuck in mid-card purgatory like everyone else, and has been trading wins with the fucking Big Show.  

Ugh...WWE's booking is just so depressing sometimes.  They have all these amazing in-ring guys, and instead of facing them off against each other we get some of the most boring goddamn matches imaginable.  The fact that we have to suffer through Big Show, Mark Henry, and Kane matches in 2016 when talented younger guys like Barrett and Sandow can't even get on fucking TV is an abomination.

Totally agree on Berrett, the dude can ooze menace just in the way he holds himself (kind of like a smaller version of Bautista) and he is a good enough talker that I think he could heel or face. It's baffling to me that he is stuck in a stable that is the fucking job squad in all but name (even more so than the group who have basically accepted that they are gonna be jobbers and are just having fun with it, the #SocialOutcasts), while guys like fucking Ryback (who I don't actually hate) seem to be getting pushed. Of course, part of the problem is Barrett seems to be kind of fragile, and you don't want to be reliant on a guy who breaks easy, but still, it's a damn shame they're just gonna let a talent like that go.

I don't blame Cena, while he has fucked up (looking at you Nexus feud Cena), the bigger problem is that the creative team has no clue what they are doing. Having the Wyatts lose to the Brothers of Incontinence at Survivor Series, Bray's feud with Reigns (which wasn't actually bad, the Hell in a Cell spotfest they did was pretty sweet, it was just way predictable), and the fact that Big Show, Kane, and Ryback went over the Wyatts at Fastlane is a fucking travesty. It's like these guys do a whole bunch of work to get over, or get heat, and then creative just takes a giant shit all over the work they put into it.

Also, having only come to pro wrestling in the last few years, holy shit is the camera work awful, Fuck you Kevin Dunn you bucktooth piece of shit, I'm suck of the awful shaky cam everytime someone hits someone.

this feels relevant to my last thing

Yeah, I'm sure Barrett's injuries played a role, but lots of guys get hurt.  Orton is fragile as all hell, but he's still a multi-time WWE world champ, for example.  I remember last year Barrett was somehow getting himself over with that stupid Bad News gimmick they saddled him with, but instead of going with it they transitioned him to the godawful and pointless King Barrett gimmick instead and he never recovered.

The WWE's refusal to just go with what's working is one of the most painfully annoying aspects of watching it right now.  You can tell that it's Vince's way or the highway, and god forbid someone should get themselves over when Vince didn't plan for them to be over.  The same thing that happened to Barrett happened to Sandow.  He was massively over, and a feud with the Miz seemed like an obvious next direction to take his very popular character.  Winning the Battle Royal at the Wrestlemania pre-show seemed like a perfect jumping off point to that feud.  Instead, they just wrote Sandow off TV and Big Show inexplicably won that Battle Royal despite the fact that he is one of the only people on the roster who shouldn't be pushed at this point in his career.  They had a chance to turn Sandow into a minor star, but instead they just wrote him off entirely, and decisions like that just make no fucking sense to me.

Archived