WWE Royal Rumble

Jace, Extat

3 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Hadn't watched NXT before, but I checked out TakeOver. This is wrestling. Thanks briantw!

NXT is consistently better than the WWE.  Triple H just gets wrestling in a way that Vince doesn't.  You watch NXT and you see a product where the fans react exactly how the people running the show want them to, and it elevates the product.  The crowd at that show last night was amazing, and they made the show even better.  The only time they actually hurt a match was during the start of the women's title match, but that was mostly because they got burnt out during that amazing Nakamura/Zayn show and it took them some time to get back into what was going on.  They really should have had a five to ten minute cool down match in between there.

Basically every NXT Takeover is great, though.  They work in a way that WWE PPVs often fail to.  Takeover London was probably the weakest of the bunch, but even that was better than your average WWE PPV.  The Brooklyn one was fantastic.  I don't remember the name, but as I mentioned the one where Kevin Owens debuted and Zayn fought in the main event was one of my favorites (it was actually the first NXT event I'd ever seen, and it was what got me back into wrestling after basically not watching it at all since 2001 or 2002), and I think Rival was the one where Zayn and Owens had their NXT title match.  That match was great.

By the way, I like how Balor has started tailoring his entrance at big events to the location.  We got Jack the Ripper in London and Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night.  It won't work everywhere, but it's just a fun addition to his PPV entrance.

27 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Nakamura is god.

Really not a fan of Balor at all, sooner he leaves the title alone the better. They fucked up not having Joe win last night,

I read that the original plan was to have Joe win, but it was decided recently that Joe is heading to the main roster, so they changed the outcome since having him win would serve no purpose if he just had to drop the belt in a couple of months anyway.  All that would do is weaken the title, and the NXT title is strong precisely because it rarely changes hands.  They don't hot shot it around like the WWE does.

If Nakamura stays in NXT for a while, I imagine he'll be the one to take it from Balor at the next big live event, whether that's the next Takeover or another WWE Network special in Japan like when Finn won it to begin with.

2 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Nakamura/Zayn...my goodness. That was incredible. 

That was the first time I've ever seen a punching exchange where the crowd screamed "YEAH" for both guys when they hit the other guy.  They also got "FIGHT FOREVER" and "BOTH THESE GUYS" chants.

Best chant of the night, though, was a tie between "FUCK PG" and "LET JOE BLEED."  Those were both hilarious.

Just now, briantw said:

Well, looks like Vince uses another Wrestlemania to give a nice "fuck you" to a former TNA guy.

AJ should have went over. Y2J doesn't need these WM wins anymore. Also, why did Del Rio come back to WWE? To squander away against Kalisto and in the LoN?

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

AJ should have went over. Y2J doesn't need these WM wins anymore. Also, why did Del Rio come back to WWE? To squander away against Kalisto and in the LoN?

Because they gave him a briefcase full of money when they were in desperate need of a Latino star.  Then they immediately turned Del Rio heel for no reason even though he was a great face in Lucha Underground and put him over Cena in his first match back (an easy way to win over the crowd), which killed all of his momentum.

And yeah, there was no reason for Jericho to win there other than Vince being eternally petty.  I also feel like he had Ryder win the ladder match just a fuck you to Hunter for NXT.

3 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I was disappointed with Ambrose/Lesnar as well.

The women's match was pretty great until the end.  Literally no reason for Charlotte to win that.  

Archived