WWE Royal Rumble

Jace, Extat

• 1 month later...

No one else here, but Clash of Champions has impressed so far. Especially given it looked so crappy going in.

Hype bros pre show fight was intense.

Surprisingly good US title match. even more surprising Ziggler won.

Great tag team match. And Rusev is absolutely over, the crowd was on point.

We'll see how it goes from here. Charlotte should retain.

The Lumberjack match was bad and had a weird Nattie cry at the end.

The KO Zayn, Orton Nakamura, was overly weird. But the finish worked great. Shane definitely screwed Zayn, and Daniel Bryan responded in kind. I hope this means they've cleared Bryan and he'll be in the ring proper before too long.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Once they made him lose to Triple H in fucking India, that was all she wrote.

Two points on that:

Minor: House Show's aren't canon (confused by AJ referencing it on tv)

Major: Did India ever buy him as a legit champ, what with him being Canadian, they may have played him being a phoney in India.

But either way, there was clearly a massive change in direction on Jinder, I just am glad they confirmed it on a PPV.

AJ can carry almost anyone to a great match (look at the Brock match), so let him.

The last two matches were messes, but the Owens Zayn match should probably have been the closer, it changes things the most going forward.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Smackdown is on on a Tuesday for some reason and I could use some cheering up so I tuned in.

This seems like a terrible choice if you're looking to be cheered up.  Drunk History is on Comedy Central.

25 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Smackdown is on on a Tuesday for some reason and I could use some cheering up so I tuned in.

It's truly awful. This pale skinny guy in Jeans is fighting one of the New Day and it's unwatchable.

Yeah, I can't watch the weekly WWE shows, except for NXT, which is on the WWE Network, not cable.  Ironically, it's by far the best weekly WWE program and it's not particularly close.  It's really the only watchable WWE show. 

I just read recaps of the weekly shows and then catch the PPVs.  Keeps me up to date so I know what's going on but saves me five hours of pain between Raw and Smackdown that can be better spent doing literally anything else.  NXT is the shit, though.  The weekly show usually has at least one good to great match, is only an hour long, has arguably better talent than the main roster shows, and the "PPV" events (Takeovers) are uniformly excellent.

Smackdown is always on Tuesday now, by the way.  They used to film it Tuesday and air it Thursday, but now since Raw and Smackdown have different rosters and they air it live it's on Tuesday.

If you want wrestling that won't make you want to gouge your eyes out, check out Lucha Underground on Netflix.  I think they have the first two seasons.  It reminds me a lot of the old Attitude Era WWE mixed with Mexican wrestling.  

Just watched the Jericho/Omega match from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12.  Holy shit...I had no idea Jericho was still capable of delivering a match like that.  Granted, Omega's one of the best workers in the world, but still...just an incredible match.  It was over 35 minutes long and I don't think I was bored for a single minute.  That's a hell of an accomplishment.  Brutal match too.  Both guys took some nasty bumps.  

42 minutes ago, briantw said:

Just watched the Jericho/Omega match from NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12.  Holy shit...I had no idea Jericho was still capable of delivering a match like that.  Granted, Omega's one of the best workers in the world, but still...just an incredible match.  It was over 35 minutes long and I don't think I was bored for a single minute.  That's a hell of an accomplishment.  Brutal match too.  Both guys took some nasty bumps.  

I haven't gotten round to it yet. How was the rest of WK?

7 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I haven't gotten round to it yet. How was the rest of WK?

Only watched Jericho/Omega and Naito/Okada.  Naito/Okada is pretty much what you'd expect from two of the best wrestlers in the world.  I disagree with the decision on who won, but it was an absolutely fantastic match regardless.

Both matches are in the ****1/2 to ***** range.  

I'm planning to watch a few of the other matches later, but it's like a six hour show so I probably won't watch them all since I don't really follow NJPW on a regular basis.  I mostly just check out matches that I hear are great.

Going to check out Cody/Ibushi for sure, as I read that one was really good.  Probably the Junior Heavyweight Fatal Four Way with Ospreay/Scurll/KUSHIDA/Takahashi as well.  Maybe the tag title match too?  Other than that, nothing else stands out as anything other than merely good in the reviews I've read.

Naito is amazing, by the way.  I don't follow NJPW all that closely, but he's definitely one of my favorite wrestlers in the world to watch.  Every match I've seen from him has been a clinic.  Granted, I really only check in when I read the match was awesome, but still...that happens frequently with Naito.  I thought his match at last year's WK was better than Omega/Okada, despite the ridiculous six star ratings Omega/Okada got from guys like Meltzer.  Not saying it was a bad match, because it was easily in the four to five star range, but it wasn't the best match of all time.  I thought Naito/Tanahashi was the best match on that card.  It was close, though, as both were fantastic.  

Watching Naito makes me really happy that NXT put their title on Andrade Almas.  They both have that great "give no fucks" attitude about them, which makes sense seeing as they're both Los Ingobernables guys.  Really didn't think NXT was going to pull the trigger on Almas after he bombed in his debut, but they did a great job rebuilding him.  Can't wait to see he and Gargano go at it again at the next Takeover, even though it seems completely inevitable that Ciampo is going to return and cost Gargano the title.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Only watched Jericho/Omega and Naito/Okada.  Naito/Okada is pretty much what you'd expect from two of the best wrestlers in the world.  I disagree with the decision on who won, but it was an absolutely fantastic match regardless.

Both matches are in the ****1/2 to ***** range.  

I'm planning to watch a few of the other matches later, but it's like a six hour show so I probably won't watch them all since I don't really follow NJPW on a regular basis.  I mostly just check out matches that I hear are great.

Going to check out Cody/Ibushi for sure, as I read that one was really good.  Probably the Junior Heavyweight Fatal Four Way with Ospreay/Scurll/KUSHIDA/Takahashi as well.  Maybe the tag title match too?  Other than that, nothing else stands out as anything other than merely good in the reviews I've read.

Naito is amazing, by the way.  I don't follow NJPW all that closely, but he's definitely one of my favorite wrestlers in the world to watch.  Every match I've seen from him has been a clinic.  Granted, I really only check in when I read the match was awesome, but still...that happens frequently with Naito.  I thought his match at last year's WK was better than Omega/Okada, despite the ridiculous six star ratings Omega/Okada got from guys like Meltzer.  Not saying it was a bad match, because it was easily in the four to five star range, but it wasn't the best match of all time.  I thought Naito/Tanahashi was the best match on that card.  It was close, though, as both were fantastic.  

Watching Naito makes me really happy that NXT put their title on Andrade Almas.  They both have that great "give no fucks" attitude about them, which makes sense seeing as they're both Los Ingobernables guys.  Really didn't think NXT was going to pull the trigger on Almas after he bombed in his debut, but they did a great job rebuilding him.  Can't wait to see he and Gargano go at it again at the next Takeover, even though it seems completely inevitable that Ciampo is going to return and cost Gargano the title.

I'm about to watch 44 minutes of Japanese wrestling. It better be worth it or I'll have your heads! :P

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm about to watch 44 minutes of Japanese wrestling. It better be worth it or I'll have your heads! :P

You watching Jericho/Omega I take it?

If so, I definitely think it's worth it.  Best Jericho match in years.  He had some good matches with Kevin Owens in his most recent WWE run, and the Festival of Friendship skit with those two was one of the best WWE segments in ages (see below), but this match took it to another level I didn't think he still had left.

Okada/Naito is definitely worth watching too.  Just a great match between two of the best wrestlers in the world right now.

Here's the Festival of Friendship, btw:

Jericho is so great.  He and Owens were basically the only good part of Raw for about four to six months, and that segment basically wrapped it all up in the greatest way possible.

Also, that painting he unveils is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in WWE.  No idea why they don't sell that in their store, as I'd totally hang that up in my bathroom.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

You watching Jericho/Omega I take it?

If so, I definitely think it's worth it.  Best Jericho match in years.  He had some good matches with Kevin Owens in his most recent WWE run, and the Festival of Friendship skit with those two was one of the best WWE segments in ages (see below), but this match took it to another level I didn't think he still had left.

Okada/Naito is definitely worth watching too.  Just a great match between two of the best wrestlers in the world right now.

Here's the Festival of Friendship, btw:

Jericho is so great.  He and Owens were basically the only good part of Raw for about four to six months, and that segment basically wrapped it all up in the greatest way possible.

Also, that painting he unveils is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in WWE.  No idea why they don't sell that in their store, as I'd totally hang that up in my bathroom.

Thanks bro, and yeah I'm watchin the Japanese one and he's putting refs in the Lion Tamer!

Last Jericho match I saw was when he fought Bray Wyatt in an epic match that ended with him shrugging to the camera and dive bombing Wyatt from the top of the cage.

Archived