Where will be the battle of dawn fought?

Bloody Ben Blackwood

I know this is normally frowned upon, but in season 1 the show has a snow covered Iron Throne. At this point the show people were still hand in hand with the books and GRRM.

Due to this, I expect the Others to get at least to KL, so the battle will need to be south from that point. Starfall? Dornish marches? Stormlands? Who knows.

19 hours ago, Bloody Ben Blackwood said:

Till now we do not know how intelligent the Others are and what is the level of ice magic they have. Can they build ships or rafts of ice to attack from the sea? And they can siege or storm a castle ? 

If they cannot take  a castle then the more probable attack will be that they will leave the lords in their castles and keep riding south and killing everyone in their path and making them wights. So Jon can survive till the battle reaches the south

Sorry I just read the world book once and missed the part about wight mermaids, do you have a passage or quote from it?

Page 294, bottom left paragraph, when telling about other things that come with the frozen mists of the far northern stretches of the Shivering Sea.

"[...]of mermaids pal of flesh with black scaled tails, far more malign than their sisters to the south."

19 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

The prophecies very well may be true, but nowhere in those prophesies does it state that they'll be a huge battle and everyone will fight....that's an assumption that you are jumping to.  The Others *are* a threat....I just don't believe they'll invade.  They will be thwarted North of the Wall before any attacks happen.

Your main issue is thinking the Books will be like the TV Show.  Two totally different entities that are going in opposite directions, its getting harder and harder to compare the two.

The reason for thinking that books and show will coincide is that GRRM said the ending is the same, show is just taking a different route to get there. They do not have to be exactly the same with the same characters but they cannot be so vastly different that in the show Dany and Jon lead a massive charge riding dragons at The Twins and annihilate the Other's army while in the book Jon negotiates with them and send them back at the wall. That then, is not the same story anymore

18 hours ago, GoWesteros said:

I doubt there will be one big battle either, this isn't LOTR. There will be a drawn out invasion with skirmishes and conflicts from different POV's showing how different people around westeros are dealing with The Others. There will be a few heroes in our main characters, but not one big battle.

.I understand the idea, but my concern is that the Others are invading from the North and will go down South, if the battles are taking place at King's landing (for example) then chances are that the North is already overrun. Others are not expected to, or rather I assume as there is hardly any information on them, to fight like humans by capturing castles and blockading ports so that some castles have fallen, some are besieged while some part of the army has taken a ship to attack KL or Highgarden.

So to circle back to my question that if the or a battle is fought down South then one possible derivation from that is that North is overrun and all living beings in the path have been annihilated. Including Jon, Stannis and the Boltons 

1 hour ago, Bloody Ben Blackwood said:

The reason for thinking that books and show will coincide is that GRRM said the ending is the same, show is just taking a different route to get there. They do not have to be exactly the same with the same characters but they cannot be so vastly different that in the show Dany and Jon lead a massive charge riding dragons at The Twins and annihilate the Other's army while in the book Jon negotiates with them and send them back at the wall. hat then, is not the same story anymore

At one point, I used to believe this, and a part of me still wants to.  But another part of me is starting to feel like plans have changed since GRRM made this statement.  

Lets say it takes 1 more year before TWOW is released, and then probably 6 years for ADOS to be written and released.  You are looking at *at least*  7-8 more seasons of the TV show before the two can merge.

It's hard for me to fathom that the show can continue to make up "filler" content for that long while waiting for GRRM to write.  So that means either the show will end before GRRM finishes writing (which would mean massive spoilers for the books revealed), or they are both simply going to do their own thing from here on out.  

Combined with the fact that GRRM has already (recently) stated that their are many people dead in the show that will survive the book series is also a clue to me that changes my perception.  I'm not sure how you could have people dead in one and alive in the other without having different ending plots.

3 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

At one point, I used to believe this, and a part of me still wants to.  But another part of me is starting to feel like plans have changed since GRRM made this statement.  

Lets say it takes 1 more year before TWOW is released, and then probably 6 years for ADOS to be written and released.  You are looking at *at least*  7-8 more seasons of the TV show before the two can merge.

It's hard for me to fathom that the show can continue to make up "filler" content for that long while waiting for GRRM to write.  So that means either the show will end before GRRM finishes writing (which would mean massive spoilers for the books revealed), or they are both simply going to do their own thing from here on out.  

Combined with the fact that GRRM has already (recently) stated that their are many people dead in the show that will survive the book series is also a clue to me that changes my perception.  I'm not sure how you could have people dead in one and alive in the other without having different ending plots.

I'm confused are you saying the show will need to run for 7-8 MORE seasons to let the books catch up? 

The show will finish after 8 seasons TOTAL and be done long before ADOS is written or released.

4 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

I'm confused are you saying the show will need to run for 7-8 MORE seasons to let the books catch up? 

The show will finish after 8 seasons TOTAL and be done long before ADOS is written or released.

Sorry, wrote that before I had my morning coffee LOL.

But yea, what you said pretty much is my point on why I don't think the show and the books are going to share the same ending anymore.  I do not see the show spoiling the outcome of ADOS years before the book is even released.  So I believe what happens in the show from here on out is not going to impact the books any longer...the final ending included.  They are completely split apart and IMO will not merge again, having both different endings and different outcomes.

I agree that they may have vastly different outcomes, even potentially a big battle on TV for the spectacle and something different for the books the show will still ruin who wins or at least survives the whole thing.

And yes it is the journey that matters but the show will still take some of the anticipation away from reading the books and that is disappointing but a convo for another thread.

This is from May 18th 2015, while season 5 was being aired, it is from livejournal

An

d yes, more and more, they differ. Two roads diverging in the dark of the woods, I suppose... but all of us are still intending that at the end we will arrive at the same place.

So I guess they are intending to reach the same conclusion more or less.

23 hours ago, Lord Fauntleroy said:

I know this is normally frowned upon, but in season 1 the show has a snow covered Iron Throne. At this point the show people were still hand in hand with the books and GRRM.

Due to this, I expect the Others to get at least to KL, so the battle will need to be south from that point. Starfall? Dornish marches? Stormlands? Who knows.

There is snow falling in king's landing at the end of Dance 

There is snow falling in king's landing at the end of Dance 

That's too mundane for them to waste a vision on. "It'll snow later", wow thanks Undying Ones

On 1/26/2016 at 1:35 PM, Lord Fauntleroy said:

I think it was done to emphasize the Stark words "Winter is coming," because Ned was arguably the main character for most of the first book and the first season.

But I do think that the whole of Westeros (and the corresponding latitude for the rest of Planetos) will be covered in snow and ice during the next winter, since is supposed to be the Long Night 2.0. The Others will come sweeping everything in their path after a battle at the Wall or

Spoiler

what will remain of it after the attack, since I believe the Others will tear it down so they can invade the rest of the continent

and then all the main actors will conflate to oppose the army of wights and Others.

This was the synopsis/publisher's blurb for Winds of Winter back when it was still intended as the third book of a trilogy:

Continuing the most imaginative and ambitious epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings Winter has come at last and no man can say whether it will ever go again. The Wall is broken, the cold dead legions are coming south, and the people of the Seven Kingdoms turn to their queen to protect them. But Daenerys Targaryen is learning what Robert Baratheon learned before her; that it is one thing to win a throne and quite another to sit on one. Before she can hope to defeat the Others, Dany knows she must unite the broken realm behind her. Wolf and lion must hunt together, maester and greenseer work as one, all the blood feuds must be put aside, the bitter rivals and sworn enemies join hands. The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany’s fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final climactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

26 minutes ago, Black Crow said:

This was the synopsis/publisher's blurb for Winds of Winter back when it was still intended as the third book of a trilogy:

Continuing the most imaginative and ambitious epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings Winter has come at last and no man can say whether it will ever go again. The Wall is broken, the cold dead legions are coming south, and the people of the Seven Kingdoms turn to their queen to protect them. But Daenerys Targaryen is learning what Robert Baratheon learned before her; that it is one thing to win a throne and quite another to sit on one. Before she can hope to defeat the Others, Dany knows she must unite the broken realm behind her. Wolf and lion must hunt together, maester and greenseer work as one, all the blood feuds must be put aside, the bitter rivals and sworn enemies join hands. The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany’s fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final climactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

Looks like we'll get a look at The Land of Always Winter and Valyria, perhaps battles there?

On Winterfell, that would be a great place for the final battle. Though I still expect the Others and Wights will get quite a bit more south. 

Remember though that this was back when it was supposed to be three volumes. A lot has happened since then and on Heresy we have speculated that the journey into the heart of winter has become Bran's journey to the Heart of Darkness in the cave, and if so we can look to the other journey being Tyrion's. GRRM has after all said something to the effect that we might see Valyria as it was but not as it is now.

Archived