Hoster Tully should have stripped the Freys of some lands and raised their taxes

True.Kitn902

3 hours ago, The Golden Wolf said:

Edmure really should have been at least betrothed to somebody. It seems odd that the new heir of a Great House would still be single at his age. Robb was young but Edmure was a man grown.

It seems as the marriage for the actual heir to a great house is chosen very delibertately. Willas Tyrell for example isn´t married either, until a chance for Sansa came along. Doran Martell is in no rush to get Arianne married. Lords try to make alliances, for sure, but reserve the heir for a major claimant, a big opportunity. Robb most likely wouldn´t have married anytime soon if he didn´t become king and had to produce an heir himself. 

I forgot all about will as not being married. In fact when you look at it all the heirs of the great houses that were of marrying age where either not betrothed or married. It seems everyone was enjoying the peace or as you say holding their heirs in reserve. 

A shame Ned never thought to arrange a betrothal between Asha and Robb. That could have repaired the rift between the North and the Ironborn. How much older is Asha than Robb? 

3 minutes ago, The Golden Wolf said:

A shame Ned never thought to arrange a betrothal between Asha and Robb. That could have repaired the rift between the North and the Ironborn. How much older is Asha than Robb? 

Somehow I bet that was a non starter. The prospect of sending his beloved daughter to live in the land locked Winterfell were his only living son was held as an indefinite hostage for the last decade would have been given a clear no.

Even if it would have been a good match he would have seen it as replacing Theon with Asha too keep him in line and would have been insulted by the suggestion.

I'm beginning to think that one of the main reasons that was stopping Hoster from penalizing the Freys is the fact that Walder had powerful connections. Just as Hoster had married his daughters to the North and the Vale thus securing their support if the Riverlands came to any trouble, Walder's son Emmon is married to Tywin's sister Genna. So because the Freys are Tywin's kin by marriage, making trouble with them could have provoked Tywin to unleash hell in the Riverlands as he did with Tyrion's kidnapping. Given how much Catelyn and some in Robb's party feared Walder would join forces with Tywin because of their familial ties when they marched south, one would be under the impression that the Lannisters had the Frey's back. So if I were Hoster I would want to avoid making trouble with the Freys knowing that they are link by marriage with the Lannisters, especially considering how much Tywin takes his family's business very seriously. 

Archived