What if there was no Walkers?

If the only thing that's being taken out is the Others then the books really wouldn't be any different. Probably 98% of the people in the book don't even know the Others are an issue at this point so there essentially hasn't really been any Others anyway. So yeah I would still be reading. I'm actually curious to see how the Others are handled in the next two books anyway. Because of their lack of page time I'm not really invested in that storyline even though I know in the grand scheme of things it probably is the most important issue. I don't know if I care or at least I don't care as much as I care about what happens with Dany & the dragons or Arya & the FM, or Jon and his relationship with the NW and wildlings. I know I should care bc the Others are important and could have an effect on the other storylines but I find hard to care when we've only been teased with the Others for 5 books.

9 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

The OP can correct me if necessary, but I don't think he's asking if you'd read the book if there was no magic/fantasy tropes in it, but simply if the threat of the impending invasion from the Others and their undead army didn't exist. There would still be magic swords and dragons, etc.

Did you just tell on me? 

It seems I misread the opening statements.  In my defense, the White Walkers are half of the magic in this story.  What would Bran or the Wall be doing?   Why would green powers and wargs matter?  What would those magic swords and stashes of obsidian be for?  How would Wildlings impact the story?  What would an alternate prologue to AGOT be?   How would we understand what fire magic is even about without the mysterious ice monsters?   I guess WWs could be replaced with some other ice monster, but these things are perfect for this story and do lead those of us less politically enthralled to believe there is a far more important point to the story.   Because of my own perceptions of this tale I think the White Walkers will eventually  explain what the song of ice and fire is.   At least the ice part, anyway.   In short, ASOIAF has dragons.   Those puppies really do need an equally menacing counterpart.

OP, I do apologize for misunderstanding and hope my extended reply is more along the lines of the reply you were hoping to solicit.  

To me, as far as what is taking place during the series and not in the past is fantasy lite. Take away walkers and dragons and you have a few trappings of magic and that's it. You have glorified alchemy and an interpretation of shamanism.

Politics has been the focus of the series, not fantasy. Even the pre-history is far more focused on genealogy of the different families than anything else. Dragons were a necessary tool for the conquest and unification of Westeros, that's the only real purpose they serve. Martin doesn't want to be considered a Tolkien clone so limiting the fantasy elements is probably intentional. Many of the books he references as major influences on his writing are historical fiction.

The fantasy elements of the story served to draw in a bigger audience than what he would have if he'd made ASOIAF purely historical fiction.

Without some great looming threat, this entire story would be about politics and the annoying repetitive cycle of it all.

Politics is literally the same shit over and over again with no real end. Nothing but scheming and betrayals, how is that fun?

The fantasy element adds much more than people are giving it credit for.

I think that GRRM started with the white walkers being a major part of the story, that is why it is the prologue, Bran's dreams are about the three eyed raven and the heart of winter where he sees something, also Jon's parents were a big deal because he was set up as a savior. GRRM himself said initially that this is the book's central mystery. But then I think he liked the political plots too much and expanded them in the subsequent books while putting the WW on back burner and we the readers along with him got drawn into it, nearly forgetting about the WW menace. 

So my assumption is that WW are going to play a big part in the next two books and Bran and Jon's work really matters in the whole of Westeros. If not, then yes the whole books can be pretty much the same without the WW, the wildling are coming south not because of the WW but because of the severe winter which will starve and freeze them. Bran's story can be about fixing the season cycle, and Jon is still guarding the wall, but there is nothing magical about it, it is just a tall wall of ice as it is there to stop the wildlings from getting through. Rest of the stories really are unaffected.

On 26 January 2016 at 0:24 PM, Stannis is the man....nis said:

This is a hypothetical question. If say George never had the threat of the White Walkers in this story and the whole driving point was the political fight between all these characters over the IT would you still be reading this story? Do you think it would be still as strong of a story?

No walkers would  change everything for me, it would be empty and random because a Asoiaf is what it is because it is the sum of its parts, where every action causes a reaction, and where we judge every characters motivations and behaviour with our knowledge that they are behaving this way in a world where magic is real and some gods seem to participate in affairs, therefore to participate in the game of thrones as they do whilst invincible ice zombies seem to be preparing to invade and kill all living beings seems trivial and counter productive, 

On 1/26/2016 at 4:24 AM, Stannis is the man....nis said:

This is a hypothetical question. If say George never had the threat of the White Walkers in this story and the whole driving point was the political fight between all these characters over the IT would you still be reading this story? Do you think it would be still as strong of a story?

it won't be as strong, it would be a lot stronger. The whole Wall-White walkers stuff is easily the most boring major plotline in the series for me.

37 minutes ago, David Selig said:

it won't be as strong, it would be a lot stronger. The whole Wall-White walkers stuff is easily the most boring major plotline in the series for me.

I think so too, the most exciting ice zombie thing that has ever happened was actually from the tv not the novel. The Wall was rather boring before Stannis came around

Categorically: NO

I love the story so far but I'm ready for a gear change. 

It's not so much that I'm itching for the other's to have a lot of time on page, it's the ramifications of their very existence coupled with their impending encroachment. It's a horror element on a huge scale and represents one facet of the story that most characters are completely unaware of. It's also sort of the only real difference between real life and the book.

I'm not waiting for a huge zombie battle. What I'm expecting are scenes where people are living in an icy hell, trying to survive not just the cold but the creatures shrouded in icy mists. Just getting to WF will be a quest in itself for the Starks - whom I still believe to be absolutely central to the story. It will pave the way for new journeys and new revelations about their past, present and future. 

The others are the next level of opponent, for me. Once, we would be afraid of our favourite character having to maybe fight some guards or soldiers. But soon, their opponents will be even tougher; the circumstances more desperate and their lives all the more precious. 

Archived