Places, Characters You'd Want to See Stories from AWOIAF

TheReal_Rebel

I would like to know a bit more about Tyrosh and Myr; about their government and politics, about their society and culture, about their families, their marriage and inheritance customs, how they treat bastards there... etc.

I would like to know if they have something similar to Guilds and Universities in the Free Cities. Westeros seems like an odd mix of Early Middle Ages society and economy (barely any city, no colleges or financial institutions or influential guilds, barely any trade or industry, the monasteries still have little cultural, economic and political power, nobility is uncultured and focused almost entirely on war, the warlike lords control everything), Central Middle Ages feudalism and Late Middle Ages/Renaissance technology. The Free Cities, however, seem more economically advanced, and their society more complex.

• 2 weeks later...

- More about Old Ghis and the Old Empire.
- What kind of man was Grazdan the Great.
- The Great Pyramid of Ghis.
- The 33 Gods of Ghis.

It is simply strange that the WOIAF doesn`t speak more about the, probably, most ancient living culture in Essos (to me The Great Empire of Dawn is only a legend, that Yi Ti uses to glorify his own history; something like a Golden Age, similar to the works of Hesiod; being Yi Ti younger than the Ghiscari in the organization of a state).

• 1 month later...

As stated, Gerion Lannister, Corlys Velaryon, Alyn Velaryon, and Brandon the Shipwright are very obvious choices.

I'd love something about the Farwynds and Lonely Light.

The Battle Isle and the first Hightowers? Nagga's Bones and the Seastone Chair? The origin of House Dayne and the forging of Dawn?

The Doom of Hardhome is something I'd like to know more about.

I'd like to see Ib someday, same with Yi Ti. I'd like to learn about the Ibbenese, the Brindled Men, and to a lesser extent the Jhogos Nai and the Summer Islanders.

Honestly, I thought Qarth could have been spellbinding if we had stayed there longer.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheSamsa said:

Well, a complete map of the globe would be very neat. I love maps :D

Or even more complete local maps of the places we already know. Maybe with the holdings of more minor lords and knights and smaller villages and towns that we haven't known about before. Rivers and forests and mountains and lakes and such.

I don't really like Braavos, or murder mysteries, so I'd not really be interested in anything like that. Plus, we've already seen Braavos, extensively and imho it's the least interesting of all the Free Cities.

I'd rather see a place we haven't been to. Like many I'd like to know more about the far east. Something set among those civilizations like Asshai, the Winged Men and the Shrikes that we only know the names and rumors of and see how they really are. Thinking about that alone makes me remember how interesting Essos seemed before Slaver's Bay and Arya's story-line in Braavos ruined it for me.

Particularly all the Lovecraftian elements would be interesting to explore...

Guest jasonothegreat

I'd Like to see A Lorathi rise to fame and power and richness through various quests Across Essos. Loath always seems so poor and under developed (compared to the other Free Cities) So it would be cool to see someone rise from the bottom up.

The Old Empire of Ghis and the Ghiscari-Valyrian Wars

The civil wars of the Valyrian Freehold where dragons fought dragons

The Century of Blood

Yi Ti

Yeen

A full account of Nymeria's War, the Stormlands occupation of the Riverlands, and the history of House Hoare

On 11/4/2016 at 5:35 PM, Lointain said:

- More about Old Ghis and the Old Empire.
- What kind of man was Grazdan the Great.
- The Great Pyramid of Ghis.
- The 33 Gods of Ghis.

It is simply strange that the WOIAF doesn`t speak more about the, probably, most ancient living culture in Essos (to me The Great Empire of Dawn is only a legend, that Yi Ti uses to glorify his own history; something like a Golden Age, similar to the works of Hesiod; being Yi Ti younger than the Ghiscari in the organization of a state).

At least, I wish GRRM told us more about the Graces. We don't even know what deities they worship, or about their ideology, or who can join each of the "colour orders" (we know that the Green Grace Galazza Galore is nobleborn, same as the little White Graces, but, what about the others).

Guest jasonothegreat
On 1/30/2016 at 4:35 PM, cgf said:

I'd love to read something from Bittersteel's perspective during his time in Essos; maybe involving a run in with Aerion Brightflame;

That is Absolute Genius! An Entire series Of Bittersteel and his struggle In Essos, MY GOD you are a GENIUS! THIS THIS is better than any idea I have read!!!

On 28/5/2016 at 4:32 PM, Orphalesion said:

Particularly all the Lovecraftian elements would be interesting to explore...

Yes, but those tend to lose their mystique the more you learn about them. I think what makes the Lovecraftian elements in the World of Ice and Fire so enticing is how mysterious they are.

Non-Targ or Velaryon Valyrian families, weren't they a minor house back in Valyria ? I want to see the real powerful dragonlords
And more of dunk and egg would be great

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to see asshai! It sounds so creepy and weird.

I also think a detailed story about the rhoynar and nymerias journey to westeros would be cool. The cities along mother royne sound incredible: 

Chroyane, nicknamed the festival city, was once the richest and most splendid of the cities along the Rhoyne. Its streets were said to be made of water and its houses of gold.[2]It contained the colossal Palace of Love, a magnificent island fastness. 

And..

Ny Sar was the location of Princess Nymeria's palace and was one of the many Rhoynishcities left in ruins following the Second Spice War. Maester Yandel describes it as a "city of fountains, alive with song". 

And all the places nymeria and her people stopped on their way to westeros sound interesting, like the island of the peaceful butterfly people. 

I also think it would be cool to read a story that follows a few different cultures around the end of the valyrian conquest, and at the end, BAM! The doom, but it won't reveal why or how, rather, it will explain it from the perspective of the people who were in bondage by the valyrians, and how life was after they all just disappeared.

But the thing I want to read the most is septon barths unnatural history. It would be incredible if George published that, after all the novellas and the last two books are done. It could explain some unanswered mysteries. And I think it would be best if it was missing some critical pages, since most copies were burned, and the maesters say it's incomplete now.

Love the idea of Jaenara's adventures in Sothoryos. Makes me kind of want an Allan Quartermain pulp adventure of a group of would be Westerosi travellers venturing into darkest Sothoryos and getting more than they bargained for (enter Lovecraftian horrors). Some short-stories like that could be cool. 

In general, I want to know more about/see more of the Summer Isles and Yi Ti, because I know we won't in the main series.

honestly, I would like to see a story from the POV of some real small lord and his sons and their subject farmer's sons who all work the fields together and are buddies and they share everything and all love each other.

Then, they are suddenly called up to fight for their ledge lord, who has never even passed within 20 miles of their home in two generations; so they are all geared up, about to leave and the knight  sent to get them turns and says "oh yeah, and the folks we are fighting have three dragons. you know what those are don't you?"

other than that, I would love to see Citadel getting itself up and running. 

Archived