What will you do if you get married to Robert?

purple-eyes

So Cersei did really bad as Robert's wife. Let us imagine this,

If you are a 17 year old beautiful woman, you are from a family rich and noble, you are arranged to marry a person (robert) who you have not met before,

But unlike cersei, you are a kind-hearted and nice woman. You may or may not have a lover before marriage, but you did not sleep with your lover on the wedding morning. You did not plan to have affair with him after marriage either.

In one word, you are happy to be new queen and you plan to be a loyal and spendlid queen for King Robert.

Now here are the things you find during your marriage:

1. Robert called Lyanna's name in your ears at wedding bed.

2. Robert slept around with any woman he can reach, from his widowed cousin, to whores in KL, to the maids in your father's castle. And dropped a lot of bastards.

3. Divorce is not an option. And you are the queen of 7K, so even you want to quit, your father will not let this happen.

4. He disliked you. Occasional he forced himself on you. he always got drunk.

5. You are just a broodmare for him in his mind. His heart remained with Lyanna Stark forever.

What will you do?

1. Tell youself you have to love Robert since he is your husband and father of your children. Even Robert disliked you and always put Lyanna before you, you love or like him from your heart.

2. You can not manage to love Robert. but you endure his unfaithfulness and become a loyal and dutiful wife and bear him children. Tell yourself this is the life you have to suffer. (like rhaella)

3. Have nice and deep talk with Robert. Tell him it is important to focus on current life. Ask him to move on from Lyanna and care you more. Tell him you are deeply hurt by his obsession in Lyanna Stark. Ask him to have less whoring and drinking. Try to entertain him by doing things he likes (hunting, riding, better sex life, etc.) to see if you can attract him by your charm.

4. Pretend to be a loyal and dutiful wife, bear him children, but keep somebody else as your lover secretly to comfort yourself. At least you get some comfort.

5. Have moon tea whenever you need to sleep with him because you do not want to carry children for this manwhore who did not even like you. Keep a lover and make him as father of your children.

What is your choice?

I'm sorry, I know you're being so true to Robert's character and the plot here but so much about this makes my skin crawl. 

Problem 4 from your marriage stipulates that yes, marital rape is just part of the deal for you. Solution 3 implies that you can change him or even that it's your fault to begin with because if you'd given him better sex he wouldn't have to cheat in the first place. 

Really makes you appreciate Cersei's situation. Of the solutions you provided, I'd have to go with 5. 

4 minutes ago, Little Lark said:

I'm sorry, I know you're being so true to Robert's character and the plot here but so much about this makes my skin crawl. 

Problem 4 from your marriage stipulates that yes, marital rape is just part of the deal for you. Solution 3 implies that you can change him or even that it's your fault to begin with because if you'd given him better sex he wouldn't have to cheat in the first place. 

Really makes you appreciate Cersei's situation. Of the solutions you provided, I'd have to go with 5. 

Accept that Cersei never gave Robert a chance either, she banged Jaime on their wedding day.

17 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Accept that Cersei never gave Robert a chance either, she banged Jaime on their wedding day.

I'm well aware, she is no saint, but that doesn't mean Robert is automatically in the right. I can appreciate how difficult it would've been for Cersei to deal with that year in and year out without thinking she's the "good guy" in that marriage.

Agree, I'm not sure this is fair, we know he was this way towards Cercei, but we also know she hated him back from the start, another wife who actually liked him might have made a difference. I wouldn't say he would love another wife more than Lyanna, or that he would be faithful, but they might have grown to care for each other.

I'd be a good wife to him, always make sure then he has something to quench his thirst during hunting sessions...

To be slightly more moral, I'd say option 4 or 5, and make sure I make long trips across the Seven Kingdoms, avoiding him as much as possible.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I am not saying Cersei here.

This bride is a good and nice young woman. She may or may not have lover before, but she did not do anything bad towards Robert.

I'm taking option #6: Go back in time to my wedding day and not be unfaithful to him by banging my twin brother, and being kind and loving to him from the start instead of hating him for not being Rhaegar whom I'd dreamed of marrying since I was a little girl in the hopes that this behaviour in turn breeds better behaviour from my husband.

3 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Hey guys, I am not talking about Cersei.

I am talking about a kind and nice young bride of Robert.

This bride may have some lover before or not, but she is not Cersei and she did not sleep with her lover before wedding, OK?

You are talking about Cersei, because who's to say her behaviour in their marriage and general attitude towards him didn't play a factor in the way he treated her/their marriage.

Just now, Ser Hyle said:

You are talking about Cersei, because who's to say her behaviour in their marriage and general attitude towards him didn't play a factor in the way he treated her/their marriage.

Then that is marriage between Cersei and Robert.

I am talking about a totally different bride with Robert.

You can try to discuss what Robert may behave in this scaenario, for example, I included that option that you can talk with your husband and try to gain his love. maybe you can discuss if Robert would appreciate his new bride and stop his whoring and obsession in Lyanna Stark.

This is just an alternative case without Cersei.

And honestly, Robert's obssesion in Lyanna at wedding bed and his whoring behaviour is not related to Cersei.

5 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Then that is marriage between Cersei and Robert.

I am talking about a totally different bride with Robert.

You can try to discuss what Robert may behave in this scaenario, for example, I included that option that you can talk with your husband and try to gain his love. maybe you can discuss if Robert would appreciate his new bride and stop his whoring and obsession in Lyanna Stark.

This is just an alternative case without Cersei.

And honestly, Robert's obssesion in Lyanna at wedding bed and his whoring behaviour is not related to Cersei.

The flaw in this thought experiment is the false assumption that Robert is what he is in a vacuum and you can add or remove the influential people and circumstances around him, but he'll still act the exact same way.

You don't know this (bolded). If she was warm charming and faithful to him leading up to their wedding perhaps he'd have her name on his tongue while drunk during the bedding. I don't know. How do you? Maybe he wouldn't be interested in visiting the brothels if he had a warm, loving and faithful Queen by his side. I'm not sure. How are you?

Something like 3 ofc.

Tell him to treat me good and I will treat him great. Tell him that I feel sorry for Lyanna but he needs to move on and find new Lyanna in his life. Ask him to whore a lot less and explain him how I can do everything they can and more. If he rejects I will show him kindness and life he can have if he is nice, if he rejects I would just avoid him, put men loyal to my family in important place (often by sugesting Robert to put another candidate) and focus on power over Kingdom and not over King. I would also do my best to raise my children to be good Kings or Queens.

Just now, Ser Hyle said:

You don't know this. If she was warm charming and faithful to him leading up to their wedding perhaps he'd have her name on his tongue while drunk during the bedding. I don't know. How do you? Maybe he wouldn't be interested in visiting the brothels if he had a warm, loving and faithful Queen by his side. I'm not sure. How are you?

Sure, it is possible. That is why I have an option for that. After your great effort, Robert may reliaze the charm of you and decided to move on from Lyanna and stop his whoring and be faithful to his wife. Although it sounds less likely based on his track of whoring before marriage.

But I disagree that if his bride is nice in her wedding, then Robert would not whisper Lyanna's name in the wedding bed.

Maybe you think Cersei is very bitchy and irritating on her own wedding so that somehow she deserved to hear Lyanna's name from her new husband?

Quite the opposite, the book told us she was happy to see her handsome husband, happy to see her lavish wedding and got wet in her wedding bed.

And please do not say: she slept with Jaime that morning! she deserved to be called as Lyanna on her wedding bed! Keep in mind, Robert did not know about this. His calling Lyanna is nothing related to Cersei. That is his own problem.

The book also tells us that Lyanna didn't think Robert's behavior would change. She tells Ned that love is sweet but it cannot change a man's nature. 

I'm not saying I know for a fact how Robert would've acted with a different wife, I'm saying that I don't think he would change. 

Usually, when a person in a relationship thinks about the other, "I can change him/her" it ends in disaster. 

13 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

The flaw in this thought experiment is the false assumption that Robert is what he is in a vacuum and you can add or remove the influential people and circumstances around him, but he'll still act the exact same way.

You don't know this (bolded). If she was warm charming and faithful to him leading up to their wedding perhaps he'd have her name on his tongue while drunk during the bedding. I don't know. How do you? Maybe he wouldn't be interested in visiting the brothels if he had a warm, loving and faithful Queen by his side. I'm not sure. How are you?

This. Robert isn't carrying on a marriage in a vacuum. He is married to CERSEI. Cersei is a despicable human being, sadistic, tyrannical, dumb as a rock, extremely unpleasant, arrogant, vicious...and she's one half of this marriage. I'm cutting Robert slack here.

Most normal Westerosi would get that this is an arranged marriage to the fucking king. So if I were the wife, I'd accept that Robert is no more a virgin than I am. I've had crushes and affairs; he's had them, too. Big whoop that he mentions another woman's name while drunk out of his mind. Robert sounds like he was, back then, drop-dead gorgeous. He'd be close to my age. He's the king. I would enjoy the sex. If he seeks whores, idgaf.

Archived