Jeopardy!

drawkcabi

Link

The yearly online test for adults begins tonight. Available on 1/26, 1/27, and 1/28

Anyone else taking it?

Also, I've thought for a while of making a general Jeopardy! thread.

I'm a huge trivia fan and enjoy watching this show every night, anyone else? The older I, and the more boring I get, I suppose, the more I look forward to that time a day when I get to exercise my brain. Maybe it's child's play for many on this board, or too trivial, or the politics of the show isn't for you, but I enjoy it.

I figure anyone can use this thread for bragging rights and general discussion of the show.

Last night's (1/25/16) final Jeopardy! clue was:

Final Jeopardy! category: FICTIONAL COUPLES

Final Jeopardy! clue: Among the guests attending their anniversary party in 2005 celebrating 75 years were Dick Tracy, Dilbert, and Dennis the Menace

Answer:

Spoiler

Blondie and Dagwood

Only one contestant got it right. I was able to get it. How did you do?

No using Google and if it takes you longer than a minute it doesn't count.

Didn't catch it last night.  I've taken the test a couple of times and never got a response, so I assume that means I bombed it.  :lol:

I enjoyed the episode last week where all three of them wound up with zero cash and they all got the boot.  It was extra interesting when you realize that it actually had two returning champs.  They introduced contestant two and said she had been on the show something like a month earlier but had gotten a lucrative job opportunity and had to leave to take the job.  It left me with two questions: 1) How lucrative was this job that it could outdo $23,000 for 30 minutes of work?!!? and 2) What kind of job wouldn't let you have a week or two to finish up on Jeopardy! ???

I teach part time at the local community college and a professor here in the English department was a two time champ last March.  Unfortunately, both of her episodes came during local coverage of NCAA tournament basketball games.  Louisville the first night and Kentucky the second.  :lol: You had to look for them on the obscure alternate channels for the local networks.

I may try to sign up and take the test just for the humbling experience.

Whenever I go to my parents for dinner or something my dad and I usually end up watching Jeopardy and going against each other. Neither of us get too many but it's fun shit. I also saw this the other day and it's obviously relevant here. This guy has some confidence. 

I secretly love Jeopardy. I'm middling good at it, as a home "contestant," but I have no illusions I'd be any good as a real contestant. I don't always watch it, but I catch it if I'm home and not busy. It makes me feel smart.

I've heard from a friend who auditioned that the hardest part is the buzzer. It locks you out for a second after pressing it, so you have to time if just right to ring in before the other contestants and at just the right time after the answer is read. It looks easy for viewers, but apparently getting the rhythm for the buzzer down was a bit of a challenge. I always notice this with new contestants. The returning champ seems to have it down whereas the new contestants usually have a hard time during the jeopardy round and seem to find their rhythm during the double jeopardy round.

26 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Didn't catch it last night.  I've taken the test a couple of times and never got a response, so I assume that means I bombed it.  :lol:

I've taken the test for the last seven or eight years and never gotten a response. I do it mostly for fun, but I apply saying I will audition if I do well enough, just in case :P

42 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I've heard from a friend who auditioned that the hardest part is the buzzer. It locks you out for a second after pressing it, so you have to time if just right to ring in before the other contestants and at just the right time after the answer is read. It looks easy for viewers, but apparently getting the rhythm for the buzzer down was a bit of a challenge. I always notice this with new contestants. The returning champ seems to have it down whereas the new contestants usually have a hard time during the jeopardy round and seem to find their rhythm during the double jeopardy round.

The gal I was talking about above said exactly that.  Its why you usually see the frantic people who are slamming their buttons having limited success.

Well that was about the worst I've ever done on one of these tests :(

I don't think I got half of them right. I also tripped up on some that I always trip up on, no matter how I try to remember. I always want to say Vivaldi composed Bolero even though I know it's Ravel, it took me more time than I had to get Vivaldi out of my head and write Ravel.

Ugh!

I love Jeopardy.  It's probably actually the closest thing to my worldview, too.  I want life to be like Jeopardy, you compete against two other people for a bunch of cash based on who knows the most trivia, and with some elements of gambling thrown in.  And Alex Trebek asks you the questions.  

I take the online test each year but have never advanced to the next round after the initial test.  

Well I guess technically he tells you the answers, and you ask him the questions.  Fucking Jeopardy.

I love everything about Jeopardy!, even the awkward "get to know the contestants" section after the first break. I pride myself on crushing anyone who happens to be watching with me, even if it's just my dog. I do get a bit pissed when the one Lit category we get in either round is Shakespeare oriented for the third time that week. I live for that Lit category, and I'm sick of  it always being about the same guy.

Was the Final Jeopardy question tonight really that difficult?

The Final Jeopardy question (1/26/2016) in the category “20th Century America” was:

The 1970 follow-up line “We’ve had a main B bus undervolt” was addressed to a listener in this city.

Answer:

Spoiler

Houston

No one got it but I did.

But

Spoiler

I'm really into the history of the space program and I've seen Apollo 13 about a dozen times.

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I forgot to register.

I'm looking at the schedule now and it says the test dates are the 27th and 28th. Can't you still sign up for the 28th?

I just tried one of their little practice tests. I only got 14 out of 30 correct :-(

22 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I'm looking at the schedule now and it says the test dates are the 27th and 28th. Can't you still sign up for the 28th?

I think so, you or Arch-MaesterPhillip can try and register and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I think so, you or Arch-MaesterPhillip can try and register and see what happens.

I just did, before I tried that practice test. Unless it's lying to me I'll be able to take the test at 10:00 on the 28th.  

Edit: Also if anyone else is interested, it only takes like 5-10 minutes to register. 

5 hours ago, Fat Mac said:

I love Jeopardy. Before I moved to college my mom and I would watch it together. We'd write our Final Jeopardy answers down and compete for whoever got it correct.

I think this is one of the best moments in Jeopardy. From the 2011 Tournament of Champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwK8SyVeJE

That was incredible!

Jeopardy! is great, my roommates and I used to all get home from work have our drug of choice start kicking in right around time for the show.

Archived