'Ghost in the Shell' Live Action(?) Hollywood Edition

The Anti-Targ

I think I'm going to be review lead on this. If it gets very good/great reviews I'll go see it, white washing notwithstanding. If the reviews are less than very good then I'll give it a miss in theatres. I might try to eventually watch it in a way that does not cause me to directly give financial aid to a white washed adaptation. If it reviews poorly I'll forget that it exists.

11 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think I'm going to be review lead on this. If it gets very good/great reviews I'll go see it, white washing notwithstanding. If the reviews are less than very good then I'll give it a miss in theatres. I might try to eventually watch it in a way that does not cause me to directly give financial aid to a white washed adaptation. If it reviews poorly I'll forget that it exists.

Yep I'm much the same really - I recently watched the original in an old cinema near me so I sort of want to watch this one but if the reviews are terribble I'll pass - but man...I love that futuristic city aesthetic....:P

9 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

The trailer does look pretty freaking cool, but like The Anti-Targ, I don't really wanna give my money to more Hollywood Whitewashing.

The problem is the studios are more likely to interpret poor box office as meaning "we shouldn't make female-lead SF/action films" so we lose either way :angry2:

1 hour ago, felice said:

The problem is the studios are more likely to interpret poor box office as meaning "we shouldn't make female-lead SF/action films" so we lose either way :angry2:

That's why I wish the original was airing somewhere the weekend it premieres so I could go see that as a type of protest.

It's clear from the trailers that the story (and the metaphysical depth) has been completely lost... (in translation, ha ha).

It looks visually ok, but as usual Hollywood just had to change tons of things in the story for... reasons.

On 15/03/2017 at 7:56 PM, felice said:

It is a bit of a Catch-22 trap as that's exactly how they'll interpret the film failing. Which they probably shouldn't given Johannson has had successful female-lead action films in the past. Lucy? I haven't seen it but I think it was considered a financial success.

However if the film gets good reviews and still under-performs they'll probably think "don't make female lead action films" or "Don't adapt anime" over "don't whitewash adaptations". Which sucks as it robs people of a meaningful protest. I guess some kind of #GITS tag highlighting why people aren't watching it trending could help drive the message home.

On 15/03/2017 at 9:49 PM, karaddin said:

That's why I wish the original was airing somewhere the weekend it premieres so I could go see that as a type of protest.

This would also help as I'm sure they can draw financial conclusions from dollars per screen. It also conveniently cancels out the "female lead" part of the equation.

On 16/03/2017 at 8:56 AM, felice said:

I dunno, I think we have enough successful examples that Hollywood knows it can make bank on female leads in action/sci-fi, that I have no qualms in this movie failing if indeed it deserves to fail. Best recent example is Mad Max: Fury road. It really should have been called Mad Max: Furiosa. But regardless of the title, Furiosa was the lead chartacter. And it did very well at the box office and won huge critical praise. Indeed it was pretty much a post apocalylptic feminist action movie, and if tyhat can work, anything with a female lead of good quality can work.

The live action Resident Evil franchise, despite being critically panned every single time, has never failed to make a profit at the box office, and every one of those movies has the same female lead, and in some cases the main supporting cast are female. And that's been a 6 movie franchise. And the movie series didn't need to have a female lead in every film, as within the game franchise there was a mix of male and female leads.

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I dunno, I think we have enough successful examples that Hollywood knows it can make bank on female leads in action/sci-fi, that I have no qualms in this movie failing if indeed it deserves to fail. Best recent example is Mad Max: Fury road. It really should have been called Mad Max: Furiosa. But regardless of the title, Furiosa was the lead chartacter. And it did very well at the box office and won huge critical praise. Indeed it was pretty much a post apocalylptic feminist action movie, and if tyhat can work, anything with a female lead of good quality can work.

Mad Max: Fury Road has studios seeing Charlize Theron as a bankable action star, having her be the big bad in the next Fast and Furious movie and the lead in Atomic Blonde as a spy who learned to fight from John Wick.

5 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Mad Max: Fury Road has studios seeing Charlize Theron as a bankable action star, having her be the big bad in the next Fast and Furious movie and the lead in Atomic Blonde as a spy who learned to fight from John Wick.

Man, Fury Road was so god damn good. 

I think that this looks really cool, mind you. I don't get why the Major has to be in some weird skintight thing to cloak, and the dialog is downright clunky as hell, but it looks really cool. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Man, Fury Road was so god damn good. 

I think that this looks really cool, mind you. I don't get why the Major has to be in some weird skintight thing to cloak, and the dialog is downright clunky as hell, but it looks really cool. 

I think the answer to that might be a spoiler.

Spoiler

Major isn't meant to be in a skin-tight, skin coloured thing, that's meant to be her actual body. That clip does make it look like it's a suit, because you can see a neckline for the thing. But then her head also goes invisible, so maybe it's still her body just that for some reason they built in a neckline. Maybe, in story, they only had enough real skin for the head and neck and the rest of her body had to have that synthetic look.

that 5 min clip makes me want to check out the original anime film again (it's easily over a decade since I watched it) as it feels eerily familiar to a scene from the film. If not it's good at conjuring up the feeling I've seen the scene before.

It did feel a bit stunted though. Maybe something missing from the sound edit? Johannson sounds flat but that could be intentional

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

that 5 min clip makes me want to check out the original anime film again (it's easily over a decade since I watched it) as it feels eerily familiar to a scene from the film. If not it's good at conjuring up the feeling I've seen the scene before.

It did feel a bit stunted though. Maybe something missing from the sound edit? Johannson sounds flat but that could be intentional

It's basically a combination of the opening of the original movie and the opening of the Stand Alone Complex series. 

7 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

It's basically a combination of the opening of the original movie and the opening of the Stand Alone Complex series. 

Scary how it's more than a decade sinvce I've seen SAC too

8 hours ago, Leofric said:

Which is why I really wanted her to be Captain Marvel.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Which is why I really wanted her to be Captain Marvel.

she would have been a safe choice but Marvel has a good track record with casting leads for their franchises. There's also the fact they are notoriously cheap and I imagine Charlize Theron costs considerably more than Brie Larson. So if they think Larson will work and they have the Marvel brand recognition they should be ok. Although I do feel they should have the character turn up in the Avengers prior to getting her own film.

I only really know the character via her involvement with Rogue and the X-men so I'm still struggling with what a Captain Marvel film would be about. I guess a blank slate is beneficial and she could be Marvel's version of Superman powers wise (albeit not ridiculouly strong).

11 hours ago, red snow said:

she would have been a safe choice but Marvel has a good track record with casting leads for their franchises. There's also the fact they are notoriously cheap and I imagine Charlize Theron costs considerably more than Brie Larson. So if they think Larson will work and they have the Marvel brand recognition they should be ok. Although I do feel they should have the character turn up in the Avengers prior to getting her own film.

I only really know the character via her involvement with Rogue and the X-men so I'm still struggling with what a Captain Marvel film would be about. I guess a blank slate is beneficial and she could be Marvel's version of Superman powers wise (albeit not ridiculouly strong).

Funny thing is, I don't have a problem with Brie Larsen being Captain Marvel. The thing I struggle with is seeing her as Col. Carol Danvers. I think Brie lacks the military vibe, whereas I have no problem seeing Charlize as a senior military figure. Then again, I would never have seen Emily Blunt as a hard arsed soldier until I saw Edge of Tomorrow. So that doesn't mean Brie can't pull it off. Wouldn't have seen Linda Hamilton as a badass either, until T2.

Hmmm, I should get back on topic. Ummmm, what do people think? Should someone watch the animated movie first and then this live action version? Or would it be better to watch the live action version without preceonceptions, which might mean you enjoy it more, and then watch the animated version and be amazed at how much better it is?

I think my son and niece (who is visiting) haven't seen the animated version so I'm wondering if I should get them to watch it before this movie comes out.

Archived