Star Wars Episode VIII: The Force Rolls out of Bed and Stretches [Ep VII Spoilers]

Davrum

11 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

I think it's because people suspect she's a child of Luke, Leia or Obi-Wan's kid. Especially since Kathleen Kennedy said that this was still a series about the Skywalker family.

Given what little Finn tells us about his parents, it doesn't seem likely that they're anyone of consequence. 

Rey's parents however, or whoever left her in Jakku, are raised in the movie as a significant mystery. Along with why Ren seems to know who she is.

I guess it's just me seeing Kylo Ren as the Skywalker heir that has me not fixating on Rey having to be a skywalker. I guess Kylo is technically a Solo (assuming star wars characters take their father's surname). But he's still a skywalker and given his obsession with his grandfather, who is the Skywalker, I find it odd people are searching for a skywalker kid.

What I do accpet is that Rey seems more interested in knowing who her parents are. Finn doesn't seem fussed and nothing in the story draws attention to who his parents were/are.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Did you also metaphorically kill your younger self?

I never said I was proud of her, but I'm sure she will eventually come to her senses, slaughter her pitiful band of 'friends', overthrow the hologram and that pathetic excuse of an emo dark side user, create the second Galactic Empire and take the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith, only then will I finally think-that's my girl!.

Until then, she doesn't get invited to Christmas lunch.

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I never said I was proud of her, but I'm sure she will eventually come to her senses, slaughter her pitiful band of 'friends', overthrow the hologram and that pathetic excuse of an emo dark side user, create the second Galactic Empire and take the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith, only then will I finally think-that's my girl!.

Until then, she doesn't get invited to Christmas lunch.

No pressure there. I'm sure you were one of the scary parents at soccer games.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

No pressure there. I'm sure you were one of the scary parents at soccer games.

On the contrary, I remained very quiet at them, a subtle force push here, a force choke there, and that one time the skies darkened and I thought I could get away with lightning, that didn't work out so well for the opposing team.....

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

On the contrary, I remained very quiet at them, a subtle force push here, a force choke there, and that one time the skies darkened and I thought I could get away with lightning, that didn't work out so well for the opposing team.....

:rofl:

This feels like the birth of a webcomic or youtube channel.

47 minutes ago, Leap said:
  • I did feel that Daisy Ridley was a bit weird at times, I couldn't quite work out the character or why she was so excited/upset at most scenes either - although some were great

She likes to tell Finn that she can run without someone holding her hand. But... she's not actually very good at it. Her arms stick out from her body rather weirdly. :lol:

4 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

She likes to tell Finn that she can run without someone holding her hand. But... she's not actually very good at it. Her arms stick out from her body rather weirdly. :lol:

Can't say I noticed that. Might be because she's balancing that staff out?

24 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

19 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Can't say I noticed that. Might be because she's balancing that staff out?

Most actors are pretty terrible runners though. Embarrassingly so. Rewatch some actions films looking out for it and you'll see. Just not Tom Cruise action films, because he actually does know how to run.

One good example: Aragorn in RotK after the Beacons are lit. He looks like he's trying to swim.

Also, Han's running is far worse than Rey's in TFA :lol:

18 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I love. Love. Love. The expression on reys face when she's beating kylo ren. 

Love.

I can just hear the Emperor's voice running through my head at that point (feel your anger etc.) 

2 hours ago, Leap said:

Just re-watched VII. Was awesome. A few things

• The soundtrack was much better than I remembered. There were no outstandingly awesome parts, but several memorable pieces such as Kylo's Shuttle arrival, the attack of the X wings, Rey's theme, Rey arriving on Luke's planet, Rey getting the lightsaber at the end etc
  • Carrie Fisher was actually pretty good as Leia, her delivery was fine imo, the problem was that her voice was so much deeper/gruffer that it detracted from her performance. Still annoyed about her not hugging Chewie at the end though.
  • Kylo Ren was awesome
  • I did feel that Daisy Ridley was a bit weird at times, I couldn't quite work out the character or why she was so excited/upset at most scenes either - although some were great
  • The lightsaber fight is so well choreographed, it is exactly how you might expect that fight to go - all three parts of it, too. 
  • EDIT: I noticed the alarm from Rogue One, as well!

I agree. The only issue I have is TFA lacked the number of extended shots the original trilogy had where the music could be highlighted. I always liked Rey's theme and it grows on me more and more with each viewing. The ending with the Jedi Steps  and mix of themes when we see finally see Luke is fantastic.

Another thing I notice more and more is the # of lens flares.

I think soundtrack in general is the most consistently excellent part of Star Wars.  The OT is obviously the OT, the PT had some great pieces, I really enjoyed both new and the blend of old with new in TFA...can't remember TCW specifically but Rebels has been fantastic on that front too, both with its use of existing pieces and incorporating some excellent new ones.  The blend of The Force Theme and Imperial March at the end of the Rogue One trailer gives me chills.

9 hours ago, karaddin said:

IThe blend of The Force Theme and Imperial March at the end of the Rogue One trailer gives me chills.

Man, I never noticed it before ! Thanks for bringing that up ! It's damn amazing ! 

The movie was on at the dollar theater here, so I went and tried to watch it again on Saturday. "Tried" being the operative word - the first 20 minutes were excellent, but once Han showed up the whole thing just became increasingly difficult to keep watching. There's a huge stretch in the middle of the movie that's dull to rewatch.

13 hours ago, Astromech said:

I agree. The only issue I have is TFA lacked the number of extended shots the original trilogy had where the music could be highlighted. I always liked Rey's theme and it grows on me more and more with each viewing. The ending with the Jedi Steps  and mix of themes when we see finally see Luke is fantastic.

Another thing I notice more and more is the # of lens flares.

March of the Resistance is another great one, imo.

And I've noticed the lens flares, too. The beginning had quite a few. JJ tried to sneak in as many as he could, without making them too glaring.

Archived